God changed my life... but what now?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

sandstorm7

I guess in reality I know the answer to that question. I know that I am here to glorify God and submit to His will entirely. I am willing to do that, but there are struggles that I am facing that are preventing me. I came to Christ just three months ago. Before coming to Him, I was lost and confused. I lived the typical modern college life... drinking, partying, you name it.

When I return in the fall for my second last year of university, I plan on leading a completely different lifestyle. I know I shouldn't get drunk and go out every night of the weekend acting wild. I know I shouldn't have done a lot of the things I have done. But the thing is, I currently live in a house with four other girls who still live the same lifestyle I was living last year. I am going to go back to school and be surrounded by these non-Christian people who will constantly tempt me with my old lifestyle. They way they live their lives is not Christian-like in the least. I have tried to witness to them and explain all that has happened in my life, but they are not that understanding. They want the old "wild" friend back. What do I do?

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

I would surround myself with positive Christian influences (friends) as well. Get involved in a church.

I don't think you should just abandon your friends, but you should keep in mind what 1 Corinthians 15:33 says, "Do not be deceived: 'Bad company ruins good morals.'"

S

sandstorm7

1 Corinthians 15:33 says, "Do not be deceived: 'Bad company ruins good morals.'"
It's one thing to know that and want to do that, but it's another to be surrounded by bad company and not be able to free yourself from it. I can't just abandon my friends, but I can't be around them all the time either. I have joined Christian fellowships on campus and found a new church, so I hope to form good biblical friendships there... but it still doesn't change that I'm living with some of the worst influences I could possibly have. And self-control is a very hard thing for me, something I struggle with constantly. Just one drink, and I'm tempted to have more. Just one kiss, and I'm tempted to do more. So I've realized that I can't even put myself in those situations at all or I will struggle. But that's near impossible when it's all I'm surrounded by; it's a lifestyle they've condoned... promoted even.

P

portert100

hmmm, I can kinda understand your situation...

-just wanna let you know that you should see yourself as a victor of this situation...not a victim. All the time I hearof people trying to avoid all of these worldly situations, acting out of a fear mentality. You know, as a Christian, when we try to protect what we have, we position ourselves into defense. God wants us on the offense. On defense, we loose our ability to make progress. If we try to protect what we have, we normally endup loosing it- in the bible,this man buried his talent, he tried to hide, protect it. As a result he lost it.

Also, don't underestimate how great of an influence you have on your friends. It may not be overnight, but are you sowing seeds? In the old testament, it was true that you could not touch a leper, or you too would get leperasy. This is the power of sin. But there is a higher truth in the new testament, where Jesus touches the leper, and the leper is healed. This is the power of God's love. Its a higher truth that you have more power to influence your worldy situation, than it does on you.

F

FirePanther

I can totally understand you sandstorm. It's something we can face many times in life, but that's a great opportunity for your christian wak to build your christian identity. I think the best thing you can do is keeping your position and praying God to help you with this situation.. You know God is great, we can't never know what incredible things he has also for worst situations, ask Him to have His will on this situation,I believe He may touch your room mates' hearts if you keep witnessing to them. Of course the best way to witness is not with our words alone, but with our life. (In my opinion life can speak very loudler that words!). So this is my advice: Pray much and have more time in God's presence you can (it gives you the strenght to face the situation with the right attitude), then keep your position as a christian: Decide to refuse everything you know it's not good for your spiritual life, they will be without any doubts surprised because in their eyes you'll be different from everyone else. You can be an example for them, remember also if they are doing all they want, they surely feel empty inside.. Sometimes we can't see soon the results but if we keep our position in the right time we will see the fruits!!

You are not alone in this war sister :D

S

sandstorm7

I can totally understand you sandstorm. It's something we can face many times in life, but that's a great opportunity for your christian wak to build your christian identity. I think the best thing you can do is keeping your position and praying God to help you with this situation.. You know God is great, we can't never know what incredible things he has also for worst situations, ask Him to have His will on this situation,I believe He may touch your room mates' hearts if you keep witnessing to them. Of course the best way to witness is not with our words alone, but with our life. (In my opinion life can speak very loudler that words!). So this is my advice: Pray much and have more time in God's presence you can (it gives you the strenght to face the situation with the right attitude), then keep your position as a christian: Decide to refuse everything you know it's not good for your spiritual life, they will be without any doubts surprised because in their eyes you'll be different from everyone else. You can be an example for them, remember also if they are doing all they want, they surely feel empty inside.. Sometimes we can't see soon the results but if we keep our position in the right time we will see the fruits!!

You are not alone in this war sister :D
Thanks a lot! I found your words really encouraging. I really hope that I am able to stay strong through all the temptations I will inevitably be facing this coming year. It's going to be hard, mostly because it was something of a routine/habit that I made for myself last year... and that alone is going to be difficult to break. But I know I just have to be strong and consistent in saying NO to the things I don't want to do/know I shouldn't be doing. Once my roommates see that I'm serious about this change that has happened in my life, I'm sure they won't bother me any longer about it. It's the first few months that are going to be the most challenging for sure though

Aug 2, 2009
Hi Sandstorm7,

First i want to repost what I posted at the end of that single's forum thread where u were asking for advice, in case you didn't read it because I feel its important that you know that I completely changed my view:

"As you might be able to tell, I was very upset about something when I posted those. Truth is, you might be the best thing that's ever come into this guy's life."

OK, now to the issue at hand. I think you should be firm with your friends and make it clear to them that you are no longer interested in the drinking and partying but would still love to hang out with them doing other things. If they ask why, don't tell them its because of your religion. Tell them that you prefer and even enjoy staying sober and not being hungover. Tell them it helps you focus better and enjoy life more. Remember that there is always a logical reason behind every sin and commandment.

You also should pray everyday for strength to resist the temptations that they bring you. The devil will try to use them to get to you. In fact, you should pray for God to work in their hearts and make them see the error of their ways. If you do this and also do your best to honor God in your thoughts and actions everyday you will see things start to change.

Now, when temtation does strike and it seems unbearable, remember this scripture because it is a promise from God that he will provide a rescue for you from any temptation:

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

If you have to, pray for God to show you the way out and He will show it to you. If you do fall, repent and don't beat yourself up over it. God knows we often fall and He knows that its often very difficult to resist. What is important is our desire in our heart to do what pleases Him, even if we sometimes fail.

F

FirePanther

Thanks a lot! I found your words really encouraging. I really hope that I am able to stay strong through all the temptations I will inevitably be facing this coming year. It's going to be hard, mostly because it was something of a routine/habit that I made for myself last year... and that alone is going to be difficult to break. But I know I just have to be strong and consistent in saying NO to the things I don't want to do/know I shouldn't be doing. Once my roommates see that I'm serious about this change that has happened in my life, I'm sure they won't bother me any longer about it. It's the first few months that are going to be the most challenging for sure though
:) I'm sure you can do that,just reminding a verse " if God is with me who can be against me??" :D
I think living without compromises really opens the door for a sovrannatural christian life ;) God wants us to discover many new things and the key is living totally for Him and searching him with all our hearts ^^

J

Joshua2417

i can relate of having old bad friends wanting the old self friend back. its were i am today. an i am trying to get new good friends cause the old ones want me to be in sin and do old sinful things. i just can't go down that road cause i know were it goes. i try to testify to them. an that usualy pushs them away. accpet a few that still want to be friends. an then those ones stopped asking me to do things sinful but respect my new life and have been questioning thier own lifes. so my prayers are with you sand. going from the past to a new is a difficult road. i know. but most worthy it. i bet you will agree.