God help me

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

gardin

My pastor just asked me and my husband to take over the youth ministry. I'm so excited but also very nervous, because there is alot that is not like it should be and I don't know where to start aaaah!! The problem is that our youth ministry is basically dead:/ there is nothing going on and very few of the kids are taking the walk with God seriously. I don't want a youth ministry that is more about games and fun than it is about God, but thats kinda how it is right now:/

GodssSon

Apr 29, 2012
Hey gardin, I think it's great the pastor asked you and your husband to take over the youth ministry, especially if it's not what it should be! =D Remember, things take time and patience is important to do the work of God. If you do take over, take things one by one and try not to get overwhelmed. God will work through you and guide you. I'm praying for you and your husband for this! Great opportunity! =]]]

"This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come." - Mark 4:26-29

G

gardin

Thank you so much GodssSon! we already desided to take it because it feels so right, next sunday the church will pray over us and put oil on our foreheads, haha I dont know what thats called in english :D

GodssSon

Apr 29, 2012
Oh okay I understand =D Well great, I'm excited for you guys hehe. Grace and peace to you and your husband gardin! =]

"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts" - Colossians 3:16 =]

GodssSon

Apr 29, 2012
Let us know of your progress =]

H

HannahColleen

I hate it when the youth group is just about fun and games, I quit going to a youth group once because of that reason. Sure there should be some fun included, but the focus should be on God.
When my brother was still in youth group, his youth leader would have two Bible studies, one for all of the youth, the other one they got to choose if they wanted to play games or listen to the deeper Bible study. Almost like your "weeding out" all the the youth who isn't quite as serious for God as the ones who listened to the second Bible study. Anyway, I always liked that idea, so I thought I'd share it with you.

G

gardin

I hate it when the youth group is just about fun and games, I quit going to a youth group once because of that reason. Sure there should be some fun included, but the focus should be on God.
When my brother was still in youth group, his youth leader would have two Bible studies, one for all of the youth, the other one they got to choose if they wanted to play games or listen to the deeper Bible study. Almost like your "weeding out" all the the youth who isn't quite as serious for God as the ones who listened to the second Bible study. Anyway, I always liked that idea, so I thought I'd share it with you.
weird! that's what me and my husband have been talking about! :) Having 2 bible studies/meetings .. one for everyone to get to understand the word better and another for those who really take this seriously and are determined to live by Gods word and not just read it.

U

Ugly

I went to a 'youth group' once. It entailed playing basketball, til they started the movie and pizza. Movie? In The Army Now with Paulie Shore. 0.0 I did not return to this youth.

A

answers

I don't see why godly play, worship, and devotion can't be part of the meeting every time? Our youth group combine everything. My kids have compitions in their class for memorization of bible verses. They dance to their worship songs. They act out passages from the bible with the irony in the passage made obvious with the acting. They do much more, but this is in every class. They are very passionate about the word, and they strive to do right by the lord. I say combine everything and everyone is happy.

G

gardin

I feel like some of these kids are coming to the youth group for the wrong reasons. I don't like it when the meeting is: 1-2 hours prayer-worship-preaching and when thats over they hurry out to spend 4-5 hours playing games and watching movies.
Some of them sit during the worship, hardly read at home ( i know because I asked them and one of them doesn't even own a bible, so im going to buy a bible for him) and we have an 1/2 hour prayer before every meeting but they would rather sit and chat in the sofa. I would understand them if they were new but some of them have been in the church since they were born.

A

answers

We do all come from different walks of life and we all are in different walks of faith as well. We shouldn't pass judgement on the kids differences and home lives, but instead show them that the church has what the world has to offer PLUS the love of the members and most important the love of JESUS CHRIST! God will guide you, but don't let your humanly opinions (which are agreeable) be your passion behind your youth leadership. God and his love, will, patience, understanding, and forgiveness is what will bring these kids on God's time to the lord for the right reasons.

Personally, I believe ensuring the return of the kids is the most important, because like you said some don't own or read the bible, some have little relationship with the lord and spend most of their time in front of some sort of screen. I think the sofa at church interacting with others who have God working in their lives is a step up. With that said, you and your husband doing what you are able with the Lord's direction will be a great influence on these children. Go sit between the kids on the sofa and join their conversation and apply it to our lord, show them that in EVERYTHING they do, see, learn, or whatever is our LORD! Or bring the prayer to them!

koolcas

Jul 12, 2012
hi gardin,
i think its great that you are stepping out into the ministry. Now that God has called you to do this, He has equipt you with all the things you need to get the job done. and this work He has started in you, He is well able to complete it.
I just want to remind you not to give up on these kids. Even if it seems like they dont care or if they arent growing. I used to think that some of our youths just didnt take God seriously but lately ive seen a change in them. they're becoming bolder and they want to do things for God. Its such a blessing. The harvest is truely plentiful!
p.s. it would be nice to have an update on how you're doing. :)

Oct 29, 2009
I'll be praying for you as well! I know it's a big responsibility but with God's help anything is possible. It can be a little discouraging knowing that there aren't that many young kinds in the youth. At our church it has come to that and sometimes I have honestly felt on going to another church just to meet new people. For some odd reason though, I just have a gut feeling that I have to stay there. It does that patience and I do believe that the youth will grow. Maybe my faith isn't as strong as other, but I will be trying my best to get it up there. Again, good luck and anything is possible for God!