God's plan in EVERYTHING?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iraasuup

Okay, so I've just finished reading a book. It's a fictional story, and basically in a nutshell the main character of the book (a young Christian college student, with the perfect life) has her world turned upside down when she gets raped one night, and as a result, falls pregnant.

Basically the book is about her battle with the decision on what to do - have the baby, or not? She discovers that both her Mother and Grandmother had abortions in their younger days (before they knew Christ) and had been plagued with the guilt of it for the rest of their lives. Everyone is pushing to make decisions for her. Even though she had always believed and been taught otherwise, her own family and fiancee are trying to encourage her to terminate the pregnancy... but she doesn't.

There is one reference in the book that speaks of the generational curses. This got me to thinking...do you really think that God would punish one generation for the sins of their forefathers?

The girl's Mother in this book was blaming God, and thought He was punishing her for her sin all those years ago, by allowing this to happen to her daughter

There's also a few references to the fact that EVERYTHING (whether good or bad) that happens in life, happens for a reason. That God has a plan.

I mean it's easy for us to say that, and believe that God is in control... but when you look at a situation like the one I just explained, do you ever wonder... did God really plan for that to happen? It's hard to comprehend at times.

Just wondering what you all think?

Jan 8, 2009
Generational curses are common belief in many circles of christianity today but there is no basis for them in the bible unless you take out the parts when God said he stopped making children accountable for their parent's sins, and believe that knowing Jesus Christ doesn't bring you out of curse into blessing.

What gives them power is if a person believes that they exist, then they are more likely to put themselves under such a "generational curse".

See this article:

http://www.gotquestions.org/generational-curses.html

What we do have however is genetics and DNA and personality traits carried over from our parents which may mean an nicotine addict has nicotine addicted children etc but this is both nature and nurture.

But the idea of a generational curse or God putting something on you because your parents did it is an affront to the Gospel and work of Christ.

Last edited:
I

iraasuup

Thanks, that's helpful.

I guess it just got me wondering, you know how sometimes bad stuff can happen and you wonder where God is in all of it?

The generational curses thing seemed like they were trying to make an excuse for the fact something terrible happened. I really struggle with the concept that God would plan for a young girl to get raped...sure He would know it's gonna happen, and would have a plan for the child that is born.. but planning the act of violence.. I struggle with that concept.

Jan 8, 2009
God would never plan for evil like that to happen. God tempts no one with evil and God is good. Any parent who plans for their child to be raped is a BAD parent.

I

iraasuup

God would never plan for evil like that to happen. God tempts no one with evil and God is good. Any parent who plans for their child to be raped is a BAD parent.
Agreed!

That makes sense, and that's what I think too, but it just got me thinking is all.

Thanks for your reply :)

M

Maddog

I agree with Mr Snail. I would say that God never plans nor wills evil, but that He can and does use all situations for good.

I

iraasuup

I agree with Mr Snail. I would say that God never plans nor wills evil, but that He can and does use all situations for good.
Yep, that's what I think too.

Thanks for your input ;)

G

Groundhog

For a long time it was assumed that if a child was born with a defect, or a person fell ill, etc, it was because they were being cursed by God. Sadly, as this book demonstrates, that belief is still with us. Thankfully, Jesus dealt directly with the idea of generational curses in John 9:

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

That man is then used to demonstrate Jesus' power. Suffering happens in the world because it just does. If we start blaming deities for the world's problems, or say that someone was raped because their mother told a lie once, we only bring more suffering and fear into the world.

I

iraasuup

For a long time it was assumed that if a child was born with a defect, or a person fell ill, etc, it was because they were being cursed by God. Sadly, as this book demonstrates, that belief is still with us. Thankfully, Jesus dealt directly with the idea of generational curses in John 9:

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

That man is then used to demonstrate Jesus' power. Suffering happens in the world because it just does. If we start blaming deities for the world's problems, or say that someone was raped because their mother told a lie once, we only bring more suffering and fear into the world.
I absolutely agree! Thanks :)

L

Leilaii425

Generational curses are common belief in many circles of christianity today but there is no basis for them in the bible unless you take out the parts when God said he stopped making children accountable for their parent's sins, and believe that knowing Jesus Christ doesn't bring you out of curse into blessing.

What gives them power is if a person believes that they exist, then they are more likely to put themselves under such a "generational curse".

See this article:

http://www.gotquestions.org/generational-curses.html

What we do have however is genetics and DNA and personality traits carried over from our parents which may mean an nicotine addict has nicotine addicted children etc but this is both nature and nurture.

But the idea of a generational curse or God putting something on you because your parents did it is an affront to the Gospel and work of Christ.

I believe their are generational sins attached to some familys. How else could you explain the same sin (non related to alchaol or smoking) or addiction rather from great grandparent to grandchild to child brothers and sisters so on and so forth. I hate the word generational curse, it sounds like some kinda voodoo.

G

Groundhog

I believe their are generational sins attached to some familys. How else could you explain the same sin (non related to alchaol or smoking) or addiction rather from great grandparent to grandchild to child brothers and sisters so on and so forth. I hate the word generational curse, it sounds like some kinda voodoo.
It seems that tendency toward a particular addiction, like alcoholism, is linked to genetics since, like you said, people seem more prone to alcoholism if their parent(s) had it. That's not a curse, that's biology. To say it is a curse is to imply that God has caused the hereditary problem, and therein lies the problem. In order to believe that we must also accept the corollary: people with healthy, successful families have a special blessing from God that protects them from undue harm. But plenty of wonderful, Godly people face incredible hardship while plenty of corrupt, greedy people have great bodies and lots of cash.

I heard something a while back that I liked. Two men were pondering how unfair life had been to a dear friend of theirs, and one of them said, "What if life WERE fair, and all the terrible things that happened to us came because we actually deserve them?"

Status
Not open for further replies.