God's Will vs God's Desire

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
Everything that transpires in life is supposed to occur, otherwise it wouldn't happen, because nothing happens without God's foreknowledge and Him allowing it to come to pass!

Everyone does God's will, but most do not to do His desires! Even though it has always been that God “desires all men to be saved” (1Ti 2:4; 2Pe 3:9), His will—or way—is that only those who “choose life . . . “will live” (Deu 30:19). Thus, everyone does God's will, but most choose not to do His desires!

We know that our loving God does everything “according to His good pleasure” (Eph 1:9), and that prior to creation, He knew “many” (that is, most) of mankind would choose “the way that leads to destruction,” and that “few” (in comparison to the many) would choose “the way which leads unto life” (Mat 7:13, 14 – becoming more obvious all the time).

I would think it doubtless to conceive that He knew there would be great worth in gaining the “few,” as evidenced by the “joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents” (Luk 15:10).

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
From the input I’ve received in this thread I realize that I need to better explain what I mean by “Everyone does God's will.” Everyone ends in subjection to God concerning His will for believers and unbelievers. For example, it’s His will (but not His desire) that the latter receive eternal death, and the prior eternal life. Sorry for not being clear enough and thanks for all who are participating in this thread. It helped me see that I needed to be more explanatory of what I am attempting to share. The articles intent is to reflect on His sovereign control, like He knew man would partake of the “Tree” even when He was commanding not to, because it was obviously the way God desired to begin teaching us.

God bless us everyone, and God be blessed!

Oct 30, 2023
Everything that transpires in life is supposed to occur, otherwise it wouldn't happen, because nothing happens without God's foreknowledge and Him allowing it to come to pass!

Everyone does God's will, but most do not to do His desires! Even though it has always been that God “desires all men to be saved” (1Ti 2:4; 2Pe 3:9), His will—or way—is that only those who “choose life . . . “will live” (Deu 30:19). Thus, everyone does God's will, but most choose not to do His desires!

We know that our loving God does everything “according to His good pleasure” (Eph 1:9), and that prior to creation, He knew “many” (that is, most) of mankind would choose “the way that leads to destruction,” and that “few” (in comparison to the many) would choose “the way which leads unto life” (Mat 7:13, 14 – becoming more obvious all the time).

I would think it doubtless to conceive that He knew there would be great worth in gaining the “few,” as evidenced by the “joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents” (Luk 15:10).

"Everyone does God's will, but most do not to do His desires!"
If this is true then God's will causes sin -- rape, murder, lying, etc. It also implies that God is not powerful enough to get His desire!

I believe that God is powerful enough to get His desire but will normally not force men to do (or not do) things. Or to restate -- God's desire to have humans with the capacity for choice allows things to occur that He does not desire. One can see that God allowed human choice in Genesis chapter three.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
If this is true then God's will causes sin -- rape, murder, lying, etc. It also implies that God is not powerful enough to get His desire!

I believe that God is powerful enough to get His desire but will normally not force men to do (or not do) things. Or to restate -- God's desire to have humans with the capacity for choice allows things to occur that He does not desire. One can see that God allowed human choice in Genesis chapter three.
Philippians 2:13 says God causes us to "please" Him, otherwise we would remain unsaved.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018

God 's will is damnation to unbelievers, but His desire is salvation to those who will chose Him.

What I meant by "everyone does God's will" is that it's His will that unbelievers are judged, and His will that believers are saved.