Good luck to Fred Nile

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 24, 2013
ha - I just came across this news article; and its a shame Fred Niles children are so disapproving their fathers happiness ...
...while I feel for them; and appreciate how they must feel, they should let their father live on...

... what once was; cannot be reclaimed - the person is most likely in a better place; and life and love must go on ...

... I say good luck to him - a man has a right to appreciate the finer things in life and nature - and rightly so ...

... sometimes opportunities do not come as rarely as they sometimes do, and one must have the wisdom to see them and accept them ... appreciatively ...

... 3 cheers for Fred - he obviously as a male - regardless of his age - knows a good thing when he sees it ... :)

EXCLUSIVE
Changing times: The Reverend Fred Nile proposes to bride-to-be Silvana Nero. Photo: James Alcock

He is the 78-year-old Christian Democratic Party leader who champions religious moral values and the traditional family.
She is the single mother of three from the northern beaches who, despite being 23 years his junior, swept him off his feet.
Fred Nile and Silvana Nero are proof that love moves in mysterious ways. However, since the couple went public with their romance and engagement last month, there has been growing resentment among the Reverend Nile's four children, who are ''hurt and angry'' at how quickly their father recovered after the death of their mother Elaine.
Nile and his late wife Elaine. Photo: Supplied

''I have a very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach,'' one of the children, who did not wish to be named, said. ''The family and extended family are not happy about this relationship, not least the idea of marriage and the closeness in passing of our mother.''
Advertisement <iframe id="dcAd-1-4" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/adi/onl.bt.news/national;cat=national;ctype=article;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=9.8806366E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>
In a candid interview with Fairfax Media on Saturday, Mr Nile confirmed that there was ''friction'' between him and his children. ''They're still grieving the death of their mother, they were very close to her and they thought that Silvana was going to try and take her place,'' he said.
''I've made it clear that Silvana does not want to do that. It's why she will retain her surname when we get married. She will not become the new Mrs Nile.''
Mr Nile revealed another ''unsettling factor'' was the age gap. ''Most of them have said they would be happier if I was marrying someone my own age,'' he said.
Mr Nile was married to his childhood sweetheart Elaine for 53 years before she died of cancer in October 2011. In the days after her passing, he said through tears: ''I have a big gap in my life. We were a partnership. People might think I was the senior partner but Elaine was. I think in a way she gave the purpose to what I was doing.''
Four months later, he spotted Ms Nero at a Christian Democratic Party meeting. In his own words, it was ''love at first sight''.
Since then, the pair have been inseparable. In a recent media interview, she hailed him as her ''knight in shining armour'' while he crowed like a love-struck teen about her ''beautiful legs''. He has also thrown his weight behind Ms Nero's fledgling political career and backed her ambitions to run as a CDP candidate in the federal seat of Mackellar.
Mr Nile revealed that prior to them going public, he spent considerable time trying to prepare his children for the ''changes'' ahead. ''I visited them all to discuss it, arranged for them to meet her, but so far she's only met one son.''
None of his four children attended either of his two engagement parties. ''We were invited twice but none of us went,'' confirmed the family member, adding: ''Had I gone, I would have been saying 'I support this marriage' and I don't.''
But Mr Nile insists his former wife Elaine would approve of Ms Nero and hopes in time, his children will too. ''I'm working on a plan to try and make things better,'' he said.

Read more: Nile's happiness not shared by children

Last edited:

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
What's the point of posting this article?

May 24, 2013
What's the point of posting this article?
...the point is, people should be able to pursue and find their hearts desire - which the bible speaks of; and - even tho there may be some issues which are difficult to deal with by some, a person who finds their hearts desire should be wished well and congratulated in doing so...

Its really because I feel happy for Fred actually - and it brings HOPE to all single people on here, for if Fred can find such an attractive woman at the age of 78, then so can many others on here :)

- and I just wish his children would understand that their father needs to move on in life and not be stuck in a paralysing sorrow - even tho he surely must miss his previous wife..., I feel he needs - as others would - to fill that missing vacuum in his life with love as he obviously seems to have been blessed with in this woman...

...I have met a number of Christians who have had near-death experiences..., usually many of them end up going into the Light with Christ ... and do NOT want to return here ... The only people that really suffer are those left behind, which is totally understandable and I totally sympathise, -but- its just good to have and develop the understanding to wish others well and allow them to move on in their life and find happiness and not expect them to remain paralysed in grief - but heal and be restored and find ongoing love and joy..., this does not mean they have forgone loving who they loved in this life, it just means that reality speaks and one needs to listen when wisdom calls...

Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
ie: I have read on a number of posts here about how 'this and that person' has been single for 'X amount of years' and wishes they had a girlfriend (and probably vice-versa) ... I just feel this brings hope to those such as this --- and its just good to see someone who by all indications is blessed after what must have been a very trying ordeal...and actually 'wish them well'... and cultivate some kind of understanding in turn ... :)

May 24, 2013
...should he just have reserved himself to a life of sorrow? - and have rejected this woman, and possibly not come across someone like this - if anyone - ever again, and just know 'pain' ? I don't mean to be insensitive to any degree - and can fully understand how his children must feel - but really - should he just wither away in ongoing sorrow in sympathy with others expectations of him ??? is that right ???

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
If she's not a gold digger then I'm sure his kids will come around.

May 24, 2013
If she's not a gold digger then I'm sure his kids will come around.
...valid point; I didn't think he was overly rich tho - I think he has appeal in terms of character and a certain kind of strength by all indications; although a bit radical - from what I can see. Honestly, I don't know much about the man; but I hope it is real and he does find happiness - and his kids come around in some way and understand their fathers wishes to continue living a fulfilled life...

...she is what 55? or something - usually the age ratio widens for men:women at around that single age it seems to me by casual observations..., but there are always exceptions ...

Last edited:

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Good luck to him... not a huge fan of his politics though.

S

Shouryu

Friend of mine who is a few years younger than I experienced this. When she was a freshman in high school, her mother died of breast cancer. People were surprised when her father remarried in less than six months. Thing is, neither she, nor her siblings were shocked or taken aback. Their mother's death had been a long time coming; they all knew it was going to happen. So, her father was very much "emotionally prepared" to let go and move on.

I wouldn't group the situation of widowing and breaking up in the same category. While both events render a previously attached party newly single, the fall out, grieving, and recovery all take a different path. I mean, while both Julliana and SeatBelt have grieved (are grieving) for their relationships, I would never dare liken the two.

Mar 21, 2011
Good luck to him... not a huge fan of his politics though.
I agree. I think his politics are Fascist in nature. I believe in freedom of religion, so I don't want the state making laws that dictate religion.

That being said, on a personal level, Good luck to him. I see nothing wrong with remarrying.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
eh seen better looking women..but he is 78 so he did better than expected.

U

Ugly

so some old rich politician found a young woman and this encourages me how?
something about this thread doesn't feel right.

H

Hellooo

eh seen better looking women..but he is 78 so he did better than expected.

^ouch.

I'm not familiar with Fred Nile, by any means, but I've seen a lot of ugly issues that come up between elderly people, new/old spouses, and adult children.

The article only presents one side to the story. 4 fully adult children who shut their senior aged father out...maybe they're acting out of hurt and grief for their late mother, perhaps they're not.

May 24, 2013
I agree. I think his politics are Fascist in nature. I believe in freedom of religion, so I don't want the state making laws that dictate religion.

That being said, on a personal level, Good luck to him. I see nothing wrong with remarrying.
...yeah, now that you mention it; I recall something about him wanting to dictate laws based on religion, to which I am very opposed to - you cant enforce morality based on the narrow religious confines of a few. This should be a matter of personal choice which is between a person and God...He gave the free will to choose...

...however, exactly my sentiment - good luck to him anyway; he found his hearts desire - and made it public: how can you not wish him well; his heart must be beating in anticipation...

May 24, 2013
...well, I was not seeing him as a 'politician' nor did I assume he was 'rich'. I saw him as some form of Christian who was well known to a lessor degree in politics trying to make a difference in a way he understood as 'good' ... who at that age, found a person who could be seen as reasonably attractive by a number ... and is thrilled about it - why should that not be encouraging? At least to some of the long-term single men on here...

Last edited:

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011

Word to Big Bird, man. Word!

Aug 2, 2009
If my math is correct, she is 55. I don't have any problem with a 78 yr old man marrying a 55 yr old woman and wow does she look good for a 55 yr old woman!

May 24, 2013
If my math is correct, she is 55. I don't have any problem with a 78 yr old man marrying a 55 yr old woman and wow does she look good for a 55 yr old woman!
...yeppers..., my sentiments exactly ... the man must feel blessed ... :)