great website about the Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Laodicea

Good site with good info

J

jimmydiggs

It's good for learning how people Judaize and try to bring people out of the Covenant of Grace.

S

shiner500

It's good for learning how people Judaize and try to bring people out of the Covenant of Grace.
lol.obeying God brings people out of the Covenant of Grace?

L

Laodicea

Grace keeps the Law
Romans 6:1
(1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Romans 6:15
(15) What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

J

jimmydiggs

Grace keeps the Law

Romans 6:15
(15) What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
It appears you struggle with comrephension. Paul is not speaking on our being under the OT Law, that is why he speaks against Circumcission later. What Paul is speaking on, is that being under Grace, does not give us any right to do willy nilly with sin.

Laodicea, surely you know the bible isn't play-doh with which to shape whatever you like out of it. You don't fool me.

A

AnandaHya

hey Jimmy I was reading this verse today:

Romans 14:5
One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

L

Laodicea

It appears you struggle with comrephension. Paul is not speaking on our being under the OT Law, that is why he speaks against Circumcission later. What Paul is speaking on, is that being under Grace, does not give us any right to do willy nilly with sin.

Laodicea, surely you know the bible isn't play-doh with which to shape whatever you like out of it. You don't fool me.
You are right grace does not give us a right to do willy nilly with sin, that is why we should keep the Sabbath which is a part of God's Law.

Jan 10, 2007
Then to keep the whole law you must be circumcised, but Paul, by the Holy Spirit said later that if you are circumcised, that what Christ did on the cross will not do you any good.

Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Gal 5:2-4

Read Hebrews 4 about the New Testament Sabbath

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
Heb 4:4-11

The New Testament Sabbath is to cease from our old works which is our old sinful lifestyle. We are to rest in obedient faithful love to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The New Testament Sabbath is far more serious than the Old Testament Sabbath and it has nothing to do with a specific day. As someone already quoted Romans 14:5, if someone wants to esteem one day over another, that's okay, but if someone else wants to treat all days alike, that's okay too. Romans 14 is about not condemning other people for observing or not observing certain days, eating or not eating meat and other such things weaker and stronger Christians might clash on. Yet we have entire denominations, web sites, various "ministries" and such like, completely devoted to arguing about them. According to Paul, speaking by the Holy Spirit, if you seek to justify yourself on the basis that you keep any part of the law, you are obligated to keep every jot and tittle thereof. That means you are obligated to every holy day, every sacrifice, every food restriction, etc. I believe I heard there are something close to 700 precepts of the Mosaic law. The early church argued about this at a special counsel and they gave very specific instructions as to the fact that Gentile Christians are not obligated to the whole Mosaic law and the few precepts they did say were important did not include the legal seventh day Sabbath.

For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Act 15:28-29

How did they convince the assembly to agree to this? With a very sobering plea from Peter:

Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.
Act 15:10-12

Why indeed must so many ministries be devoted to putting this yoke on believers today? They may say they are only promoting the Sabbath for pre-law reasons and such like, but even animal sacrifice was pre-law and that if you put yourself under the obligation of even one small commandment for the law's sake, you are obligated to keep every commandment. The Bible is clear how God feels about the Mosaic Law for the New Testament believer. Read Galatians as a whole. It deals directly with people trying to take us back to the Mosaic law and it is very clear that law keepers and grace receivers will not be heirs together but the law keepers will be cast out.

Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
Gal 4:28-31

Again this is not a license to sin, just a change of the law. Hebrews 4 makes the New Testament Sabbath a rest from sin and therefore far more serious than simply a day off work.

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
Heb 7:12

May I say with Peter, Why tempt ye God to put a yoke on believers today that no believer in history has ever been able to bear except Jesus?

L

Laodicea

The law of God is different to the law of Moses. The law of God was written by God in stone (10 commandments). The law of Moses was written by Moses in a book.

Jan 10, 2007
And yet when Jesus was asked which was the greatest commandment, he gave two and neither of them were from the Ten Commandments. It's all the word of God the same as what Paul wrote is as much the Word of God as what the writers of the gospels recorded from the mouth of Jesus. The law of Moses is only called that because he wrote the books that contain it. He was merely the vessel through which it came. It was all the law of God. and it served it's purpose as a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ but it plays no other part in our salvation.

L

Laodicea

And yet when Jesus was asked which was the greatest commandment, he gave two and neither of them were from the Ten Commandments. It's all the word of God the same as what Paul wrote is as much the Word of God as what the writers of the gospels recorded from the mouth of Jesus. The law of Moses is only called that because he wrote the books that contain it. He was merely the vessel through which it came. It was all the law of God. and it served it's purpose as a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ but it plays no other part in our salvation.
The 10 commandments were written on two tables. The first 4 are for God the next 6 are for our fellow man. Jesus summed up the 10 into 2, just as they were written on 2 tables

J

jimmydiggs

You are right grace does not give us a right to do willy nilly with sin, that is why we should keep the Sabbath which is a part of God's Law.
I guess if you don't want the Covenant of Grace, you just keep with your circumcision that Paul spoke against. ;)

If you want to go to church on saturday, have at it. I'd like church everyday. The problem is when you try to get the rest of us to leave the covenant of grace and under the Covenants established with Moses, David, etc.

J

jimmydiggs

hey Jimmy I was reading this verse today:

Romans 14:5
One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
If the seventhy day adventists were just about a preference of saturday over sunday, I wouldn't care at all. That's not what it is though.

Ananda, Learn more about Ellen G. White. ;)

L

Laodicea

I guess if you don't want the Covenant of Grace, you just keep with your circumcision that Paul spoke against. ;)

If you want to go to church on saturday, have at it. I'd like church everyday. The problem is when you try to get the rest of us to leave the covenant of grace and under the Covenants established with Moses, David, etc.
Isaiah 30:8-10
(8) Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come (the latter day) for ever and ever:
(9) That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
(10) Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

J

jimmydiggs

Isaiah 30:8-10
(8) Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come (the latter day) for ever and ever:
(9) That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
(10) Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
Trying to levy an accusation there bud? Put on your big boy pants and just say it.

I'm not afraid to tell the truth. You're in a cult.

L

Laodicea

Trying to levy an accusation there bud? Put on your big boy pants and just say it.

I'm not afraid to tell the truth. You're in a cult.
You don't even know what a cult is