Guided by Love; Guided by Pride

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
Some people follow the Lord. Others follow their pride. (That is to say, others follow Satan.)

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Cor 13:7 RSV
(Are all you Americans watching the golf tournament?)

D

danschance

I am an American and I got rid of my TV. I really don't spend much time on sports either.

It is true that some people who call themselves Christians and even claim they are saved act in a way that seems to contradict those claims. Jesus told us a parable about wheat and tares. Tares look just like wheat except they they are not selected for harvest.

Dec 19, 2009
I am an American and I got rid of my TV. I really don't spend much time on sports either.

It is true that some people who call themselves Christians and even claim they are saved act in a way that seems to contradict those claims. Jesus told us a parable about wheat and tares. Tares look just like wheat except they they are not selected for harvest.
I enjoy a little golf and football on TV.

Yeah, gotta do a thread on the wheat and tares (chaff) thing sometime. In our very churches the chaff compete with the wheat for attention.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
Pride is a selfish characteristic. If someone is truly selfless they are not prideful. Difficult to achieve. :cool:

Dec 19, 2009
Pride is a selfish characteristic. If someone is truly selfless they are not prideful. Difficult to achieve. :cool:
Yes, Jesus mentions pride:

[20] And he said, "What comes out of a man is what defiles a man.
[21] For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, fornication, theft, murder, adultery,
[22] coveting, wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, foolishness.
[23] All these evil things come from within, and they defile a man." Mark 7:20-23 RSV

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Pride is very difficult to get rid of, we all have a little pride in us. But sometimes when we have prideful thoughts we can say to oursleve( wait, no i will be pridefull I will be humble. Deleteing Pride...click

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Some people follow the Lord. Others follow their pride. (That is to say, others follow Satan.)

(Are all you Americans watching the golf tournament?)
Ya.... No... I find golf very boring. Now basket ball is awesome!

Dec 19, 2009
Pride is very difficult to get rid of, we all have a little pride in us. But sometimes when we have prideful thoughts we can say to oursleve( wait, no i will be pridefull I will be humble. Deleteing Pride...click
I don't think the issue is so much what we are thinking. An athlete wants to win. That is pride. It isn't bad.

I think pride is about what we do. When we do selfish things in an effort to "climb the social ladder," we have committed the sin of pride.

Mar 10, 2013
My testimony is simple. God taught me what humility is. Taught me how to practice it. Gave me power to practice it. God makes it pretty easy to follow HIs will. Humility is like love. It doesn't exist unless you practice it. Very few people that I know who call themselves Christian have any idea how to practice humility even though the word is very clear, humility comes before honor or wisdom and God lifts up the humble.

So what are ways any of you practice humility? What has God taught you?

Dec 19, 2009
My testimony is simple. God taught me what humility is. Taught me how to practice it. Gave me power to practice it. God makes it pretty easy to follow HIs will. Humility is like love. It doesn't exist unless you practice it. Very few people that I know who call themselves Christian have any idea how to practice humility even though the word is very clear, humility comes before honor or wisdom and God lifts up the humble.

I think humility, like love, is in the way we treat people. Either we presumptuously act like we are better than others, or we humbly act like they are better than we are.

Dec 19, 2009

Oh, and the Lord has taught me that I am no better than anybody else.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012

Well lets see, I practice it everyday but I do not yet see myself humble enough so I constantly pray for a humble and fearful heart for the lord. And what has he taught me? The list is too long for one post

Mar 10, 2013
I think humility begins with our thoughts. (renewing our minds) This is one verse that tells me what thoughts I need to practice
1 Timothy 1:15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

I consider myself to be the worst of sinners. This means I can not blame any person for any sin. How could I blame others when I am worse than them? There are other verses that come to mind.

IF you then though you are evil...Knowing I am evil and keeping this in the forefront of my thoughts keeps me dependent on God. I can not do any good thing if God does not empower me to do it and show it to me. I have no claim to anything but my own sin, which I hate and am ashamed of...nothing good in me unless God is in me. Nothing good can come from me unless God has put it in me. I have no claim to purity or goodness. I only have claim to evil.

Do you not know that you are pitiful wretched poor blind and naked? That also comes to mind. This is another way of thinking that is a practice of humility. I know I am pitiful wretched poor blind and naked.

There are other scriptures that teach us more about how to think with humility but one of the first things I learned is just how full of pride I am. I know I am sick. I need God in all things. I can accomplish only wickedness without God. This does not diminish as I practice humility. Like love, the more we give away the more we have. Humility is similar in that the more we practice humility the more pride we can see in ourselves.

Dec 19, 2009
I think humility begins with our thoughts. (renewing our minds) This is one verse that tells me what thoughts I need to practice
1 Timothy 1:15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

I consider myself to be the worst of sinners. This means I can not blame any person for any sin. How could I blame others when I am worse than them? There are other verses that come to mind.

IF you then though you are evil...Knowing I am evil and keeping this in the forefront of my thoughts keeps me dependent on God. I can not do any good thing if God does not empower me to do it and show it to me. I have no claim to anything but my own sin, which I hate and am ashamed of...nothing good in me unless God is in me. Nothing good can come from me unless God has put it in me. I have no claim to purity or goodness. I only have claim to evil.

Do you not know that you are pitiful wretched poor blind and naked? That also comes to mind. This is another way of thinking that is a practice of humility. I know I am pitiful wretched poor blind and naked.

There are other scriptures that teach us more about how to think with humility but one of the first things I learned is just how full of pride I am. I know I am sick. I need God in all things. I can accomplish only wickedness without God. This does not diminish as I practice humility. Like love, the more we give away the more we have. Humility is similar in that the more we practice humility the more pride we can see in ourselves.
Perhaps it can be summed up by understanding that no one of us is any better than anyone else.

At the same time, people compete to be champions of the sports they participate in. I think this is healthy, even though I can find no other word to describe this than "pride."