Guy: 'I was kinda wondering. I like you, will you go out with me?' Girl: 'Maybe'.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

The dreaded MAYBE !

What just does this word mean in girl language?

Maybe. It left liamsON 'ecstatically confused.' (See below) . And, I agree .

This word, ladies, or, MAYBE just saying nothing telling to help us out when we ASK YOU OUT, leves we guys spellbound and lost, and left wondering, all at the same time. It seems easy that you could help us along this DARING path, with a perfect word like, hmmm, how about (pray the decision over with God first)'Yes,' when we ask you out. This propensity to answer 'maybe,' or stare at us like we are from Mate, has left many a-guys perpetually saying, 'Was that a 'Yes,' or, was that a 'no.' What does 'maybe' mean?

For a guy 'maybe,' could mean: For crying OUT LOUD, I just asked her out and IF I ask her again, she could think I'm freaky and run out of here with a estranged, or, at least, strange look on her face.

.................For a girl, what does 'maybe' mean ?

Noté: I want to thank liamsON , who gave me this thread idea from his choicely worded answer for the 'DARING' thread . When he asked out a girl he liked, she said 'maybe,' of which an answer left liams, 'ecstatically confused.'

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mit

I guess it means it is up to you(the guy) to please the lady. It is up to you to decide for her: be creative. But if the maybe is followed by a NO then you made a wrong move or lack of/poor creativity!

A

allforfun

I am not that type of woman, so I have no idea. I either say yes or no. All these games people talk about? I don't have time for.

So I guess I would like to say I am sorry, some of us aren't like that. We know what is on our minds and we tell you. Whether you want to hear it or not generally. :D

D

dancingfortheLord

What just does this word mean in girl language? Maybe.
When he asked out a girl he liked, she said 'maybe,' of which an answer left liams, 'ecstatically confused.'
Hi GreenNnice,

I cant speak for the entire girl-dom, but I am more decisive with what I want, its either yes or no for me. But if and when I say maybe, it could be that I might be interested (slightly interested but not enough to make me go out with you). Or that am not really sure if I should go out with that person.

Anyway, Its best to ask the girl, what does she mean by MAYBE.

Apr 14, 2007
If you asked a girl out and she said maybe, in this case it means NO. Simple as that. If she liked you, she would say yes.

J

Jullianna

A "Maybe" that is not immediately followed by something like "once I get you know you a little better" is just rude.

A lot of women who like to play games will say "Maybe", which actually means "I want to toy with you like a little mouse to see if you'll chase after me".

M

mit

Think positive. I mean you may have great relationships that grew from "maybe" or great upsets that also began from "maybe".

L

Liz01

Maybe means for me that want to go out but not this time, and when i say that is because i dont know him well, but i always explain that, so he can know that i want to know him better.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
A "Maybe" that is not immediately followed by something like "once I get you know you a little better" is just rude.

A lot of women who like to play games will say "Maybe", which actually means "I want to toy with you like a little mouse to see if you'll chase after me".
"Maybe"

The time is not right. Sometimes having a good relationship means being like Maverick and knowing when to engage in the dog fight.

This might sound strange but, if we are playing for keeps then, just diving in can mean that the relationship may only last from September until Christmas. Whereas waiting until both parties are able to commit to a long term scenario actually gives it the the opportunity to survive.

For instance, if I really liked someone but I was going to Poland on a missions trip in a month or engaging in some other crazy thing, then waiting is the only practical thing to do. But I don't want to put God in a Woman shaped box and commit to her when, the truth could be staring me in the face. In God time and His Will will reveal much in the scheme of things.

I feel sorry for anyone who would ask me out right now because I would have to give them a "Maybe." That is because of personal reasons. If it is meant to be, then no matter what happens between now and then, we will be together.

J

Jullianna

hmmmm..........I guess it's really not a simple "maybe" if there's that understanding between the two/they know one another well enough. The rest of the sentence ....my timing is a little off right now...I have some things I have to do first....I have other obligations right now...is implied.

The "Maybe"s I was talking about I've seen coming from flighty girls at parties and in bars who wink back over their shoulders when they say it. :)

G

GreenNnice

"Maybe"

The time is not right. Sometimes having a good relationship means being like Maverick and knowing when to engage in the dog fight.

This might sound strange but, if we are playing for keeps then, just diving in can mean that the relationship may only last from September until Christmas. Whereas waiting until both parties are able to commit to a long term scenario actually gives it the the opportunity to survive.

For instance, if I really liked someone but I was going to Poland on a missions trip in a month or engaging in some other crazy thing, then waiting is the only practical thing to do. But I don't want to put God in a Woman shaped box and commit to her when, the truth could be staring me in the face. In God time and His Will will reveal much in the scheme of things.

I feel sorry for anyone who would ask me out right now because I would have to give them a "Maybe." That is because of personal reasons. If it is meant to be, then no matter what happens between now and then, we will be together.
_Now that's an interesting paradox, you turned the 'maybe,' around, liam. I guess now the girl will experience your feeling, IF she were to show a sign in liking you. :)

--Julieannie, yes, I like your answer, it is rude if 'Maybe' is followed by nothing and the guy is left just wondering. But saying 'Maybe,' and then following it up with a word, just something to pique things, is then the GUY'S court to pursue things. My take.

--lizzytheone - Interesting and well said perspective for guys everywhere to take in: Don't think that 'maybe' is STOPPING ground, guys ! That is good to know that your 'maybe' means 'yes,' well, 'maybe (yes), ' anyway. :D

----
mit ---- well said, the guy NEEDS to get creative if he gets a 'maybe,' (keep the ball a-rolling gents ! :D ) and, as you're thinking of what to say next, thank God that you didn't get a 'no.' :)