Half-truths and false doctrine.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
Salvation is by Believing Jesus and trusting that the Atonement He secured by His sacrafical death on the cross pays the penalty for all ones trangressions against the Will of God...
We contantly transgress the will of God, for whatsoever is outside his will is sin.

G

G2RBeliever

Romans 10:9 -10 That if thou shalt CONFESS with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,and shalt BELIEVE in thine heart that God raised Him from the dead,thou shalt be SAVED.
For with the HEART man believeth unto righteousness; and with the MOUTH confession is made unto salvation
verse 13 FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
How is Romans 10:9-10.. NOT a sinners prayer?

It's a sinner..

Talking with God...(that's alot of what prayer is)

Confessing their sin..

Believing in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ!

Most gospel tracts like The Four Spiritual Laws from Campus Crusade that have a sinners prayer are just putting into other words what Romans 10 and other verses like John 3:16 are saying.

That's my 2 cents

Mar 28, 2016
Addressing the most accepted and detrimental lie: The sinners prayer does not exist.
You have to accept Christ as your savior.
Yes he must give a person his faith that works in us as a labor of His love. Then having the power working in us can we confess .

Just as did the Son of man who also did the will of the father that worked in his earthen body of death (walk by faith)

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

This work he works in us is before they can accept he has performed a miracle in them. A good work that he promises to work in us, with us till the end. .(Philippians 1:6)

Why do you think Jesus said in respect to born again "marvel not" ? How could anyone not marvel that for the assurance our trespasses he did pay. . . to as many as the father gave Him ?

Is he against wonderment's as signs ?

Is believing different than wondering, marveling ? Is it considered faith ?

When he comes on the last day we he find wondering or faith ?

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
That is a lie. It does exist, but perhaps not as you imagine. You might want to study the Bible more carefully before proceeding any further.
14meatcc is correct, the sinners prayer for salvation does not exist anywhere in the Bible and simply saying the sinners prayer of salvation means nothing without a fundamental in a persons heart. Scripture proves that simply calling on the name of Jesus does nothing.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Sinner's Prayer (also called the Consecration Prayer and Salvation Prayer) is an evangelical Christian term referring to any prayer of repentance, prayed by individuals who feel convicted of the presence of sin in their lives and have the desire to form or renew a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. It is a popular phenomenon in evangelical circles. It is not intended as liturgical like a creed or a confiteor, but rather, is intended to be an act of initial conversion to Christianity. While some Christians see reciting the sinner's prayer as the moment defining one's salvation, others see it as a beginning step of one's lifelong faith journey.
The "Sinner’s Prayer" takes various forms, all of which have the same general thrust. Since it is considered a matter of one's personal will, it can be prayed silently, aloud, read from a suggested model, or repeated after someone modeling the prayer role. There is no formula of specific words considered essential, although it usually contains an admission of sin and a petition asking that Jesus enter into the person's heart (that is to say, the center of their life). The use of the sinner's prayer is common within some Protestant denominations, such as Baptist Churches and Methodist Churches, as well as in movements that span several denominations, including evangelical, fundamental, and charismatic Christianity. It has also been used, though not as widely, by some Anglicans, Lutherans, and Roman Catholics. It is sometimes uttered by Christians seeking redemption or reaffirming their faith in Christ during a crisis or disaster, when death may be imminent.
e
The "Sinner’s Prayer" is not without its critics. Because no such prayer or conversion is found in the Bible, some biblical scholars have even labeled the sinner's prayer a "cataract of nonsense" and an "apostasy". David Platt has raised questions over the authenticity of the conversions of people using the sinner's prayer based on research by George Barna.
The only thing that matters in the eyes of Christ is the condition of the heart of those who earnestly ask for forgiveness for their sins and repent.
When Philip talked to the Ethiopian and the Ethiopian was baptized and saved Scripture does no record any kind of sinners prayer and in Acts 8:37 Philip ties being saved to the condition of the Ethiopian's heart before the Ethiopian could be baptized

Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Personnally for me I said the sinners prayer because I was told those were the words I should speak before I could be saved. So I said the words, went down into the water and when I came up out of the water I was filled with the Holy Spirit and I loved everybody. But it was the condition of my heart that got me saved. Not the sinner's prayer.

Mar 28, 2016
Matthew 6:8 is not for the unsaved. It is for the saved. It is instruction on how a saved person should pray.

Yes. How can we hear Him not seen? He calls it "this manner ". Our unseen father in heaven. The manner that the Son of man, Jesus displayed to the world

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Mathew 6: 9

He who sees our secrets moves us to the closet. . . we pray without ceasing .

In that way we do not bring Christ down to our level as if he was a man as us . He calls us up . Like Lazarus "rise" and instructs the believer to aid in removing the grave clothes which is loving our brothers and sisters as Jesus loved the father, eating the food of His will. . . . . . . strengthening feeble hearts to finish it.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I’m pretty sure most all prayers are from “sinners.”

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
Yes. How can we hear Him not seen? He calls it "this manner ". Our unseen father in heaven. The manner that the Son of man, Jesus displayed to the world

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Mathew 6: 9

He who sees our secrets moves us to the closet. . . we pray without ceasing .

In that way we do not bring Christ down to our level as if he was a man as us . He calls us up . Like Lazarus "rise" and instructs the believer to aid in removing the grave clothes which is loving our brothers and sisters as Jesus loved the father, eating the food of His will. . . . . . . strengthening feeble hearts to finish it.
A great observation.

Mar 28, 2016
14meatcc is correct, the sinners prayer for salvation does not exist anywhere in the Bible and simply saying the sinners prayer of salvation means nothing without a fundamental in a persons heart. Scripture proves that simply calling on the name of Jesus does nothing.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Sinner's Prayer (also called the Consecration Prayer and Salvation Prayer) is an evangelical Christian term referring to any prayer of repentance, prayed by individuals who feel convicted of the presence of sin in their lives and have the desire to form or renew a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. It is a popular phenomenon in evangelical circles. It is not intended as liturgical like a creed or a confiteor, but rather, is intended to be an act of initial conversion to Christianity. While some Christians see reciting the sinner's prayer as the moment defining one's salvation, others see it as a beginning step of one's lifelong faith journey.
The "Sinner’s Prayer" takes various forms, all of which have the same general thrust. Since it is considered a matter of one's personal will, it can be prayed silently, aloud, read from a suggested model, or repeated after someone modeling the prayer role. There is no formula of specific words considered essential, although it usually contains an admission of sin and a petition asking that Jesus enter into the person's heart (that is to say, the center of their life). The use of the sinner's prayer is common within some Protestant denominations, such as Baptist Churches and Methodist Churches, as well as in movements that span several denominations, including evangelical, fundamental, and charismatic Christianity. It has also been used, though not as widely, by some Anglicans, Lutherans, and Roman Catholics. It is sometimes uttered by Christians seeking redemption or reaffirming their faith in Christ during a crisis or disaster, when death may be imminent.
e
The "Sinner’s Prayer" is not without its critics. Because no such prayer or conversion is found in the Bible, some biblical scholars have even labeled the sinner's prayer a "cataract of nonsense" and an "apostasy". David Platt has raised questions over the authenticity of the conversions of people using the sinner's prayer based on research by George Barna.
The only thing that matters in the eyes of Christ is the condition of the heart of those who earnestly ask for forgiveness for their sins and repent.
When Philip talked to the Ethiopian and the Ethiopian was baptized and saved Scripture does no record any kind of sinners prayer and in Acts 8:37 Philip ties being saved to the condition of the Ethiopian's heart before the Ethiopian could be baptized

Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Personnally for me I said the sinners prayer because I was told those were the words I should speak before I could be saved. So I said the words, went down into the water and when I came up out of the water I was filled with the Holy Spirit and I loved everybody. But it was the condition of my heart that got me saved. Not the sinner's prayer.
It is one of those oral traditions that could be used safely and not quench the Holy Spirit . By not making it into a self edifying work.(a form of Paganism walking by sight.)

A tradition the congregation would be made aware of that it is not a sign to "themselves". . but to the world. Sort of like the water baptism today . If a person is being drawn by the father. God can sort that out the purpose of water baptism, a old testament foundation.Any time later . We are not saved by a work of self edification. We have the witness in us. Not of us. lest any man boast in false pride .

Need a salvation date .. create one . Just call it your birthday

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
Romans 10:9 -10 That if thou shalt CONFESS with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,and shalt BELIEVE in thine heart that God raised Him from the dead,thou shalt be SAVED.
For with the HEART man believeth unto righteousness; and with the MOUTH confession is made unto salvation
verse 13 FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.
Remember Paul is addressing the Israelites here. His kinsmen. He's explaining to them that it's faith and not the working of the law. He is meticulously trying to fill old wineskins with new wine without destroying their belief totally. Israel are promised eternal life in the old testament. That still stands, and will continue to for God is not a liar. He is basically explaining the works of the spirit of God in man. Confessing with the mouth is not just a statement you voice for salvation, but a proclamation welling up from the spirit of truth that CHRIST IS KING! And we all know that only god can change the heart concerning belief. Paul is speaking post holy spirit intervention not pre. Go back to chapter 8 and read it slowly and see if you see what I see. I'm not being negative here so please don't think I am. God bless you.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
Remember Paul is addressing the Israelites here. His kinsmen. He's explaining to them that it's faith and not the working of the law. He is meticulously trying to fill old wineskins with new wine without destroying their belief totally. Israel are promised eternal life in the old testament. That still stands, and will continue to for God is not a liar. He is basically explaining the works of the spirit of God in man. Confessing with the mouth is not just a statement you voice for salvation, but a proclamation welling up from the spirit of truth that CHRIST IS KING! And we all know that only god can change the heart concerning belief. Paul is speaking post holy spirit intervention not pre. Go back to chapter 8 and read it slowly and see if you see what I see. I'm not being negative here so please don't think I am. God bless you.
And whosoever may call upon the Lord is paul stating it's not only israel are the children of god but the greeks romans etc.

G

G2RBeliever

The Holy Ghost INSPIRED Word of God IS TO ME!
ALL OF IT! GENESIS 2 REVELATIONS!

K

kaylagrl

Addressing the most accepted and detrimental lie: The sinners prayer does not exist.
You have to accept Christ as your savior.

Where is the lie in the above? Please point it out, thanks.

Feb 20, 2019
referring 2 rom 10:9-10 the jews in the roman church at that time were being persecuted by the romans and being forced 2 give up Christ and pledge allegiance 2 who ever was ruling rome at the time I think it was nero and if they didn't they would face imprisonment that's wat hes referring 2, to confess that jesus is lord and you shall be saved despite all the pressures!!