Halloween...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
The pagan rituals of celebrating the dead go back to Bible times for the heathen. Then the "church" (term used loosely) Catholic Church honored the dead Saints and because the dates were so close they merged as one.

A few questions here...

Should Christians participate in Halloween? Especially with kids... what do you do?

Is it Biblical at all to honor the dead? Many cultures do...

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
I think some sense has to be used here; according to your faith so be it. In other words, if you don't see evil in letting kids cut out pumpkins etc, then its surely harmless. Yes some people go too far and its actually just a giant marketing campaign to get people to spend money on useless junk and parties that will have a lot of waste thrown in the trash. But as for little kids - I think as long as you don't take it too far or take it too seriously, then it is harmless. All my kids used to dress up and carve out pumpkins but they never thought of "evil" when they did it - more of the time of year (harvest time etc). I think the Day of the Dead thing can go further back than the Catholic Church and it was a peasant tradition as well to do with land and harvest. Its pretty obvious to see which people take the "evil" thing seriously or not as you can also split hairs over Christmas and how extreme we get about that.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
I think some sense has to be used here; according to your faith so be it. In other words, if you don't see evil in letting kids cut out pumpkins etc, then its surely harmless. Yes some people go too far and its actually just a giant marketing campaign to get people to spend money on useless junk and parties that will have a lot of waste thrown in the trash. But as for little kids - I think as long as you don't take it too far or take it too seriously, then it is harmless. All my kids used to dress up and carve out pumpkins but they never thought of "evil" when they did it - more of the time of year (harvest time etc). I think the Day of the Dead thing can go further back than the Catholic Church and it was a peasant tradition as well to do with land and harvest. Its pretty obvious to see which people take the "evil" thing seriously or not as you can also split hairs over Christmas and how extreme we get about that.
We did not celebrate Halloween growing up, but we did always get a pumpkin for fall and bake the seeds and I loved it.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I think it's a stupid, commercial day that is slowly becoming more popular here in Australia so people can spend more money on junk.

I can't stand it and my children won't participate.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
The pagan rituals of celebrating the dead go back to Bible times for the heathen. Then the "church" (term used loosely) Catholic Church honored the dead Saints and because the dates were so close they merged as one.

A few questions here...

Should Christians participate in Halloween? Especially with kids... what do you do?

Christians have a good history of changing cultures and turning pagan holidays into Christ centered events. The popular thing now is becoming church trunk or treat events.

Due to the craziness of the world a church trunk or treat is considered now safer feeling for parents.

Mad Genius laugh enter here ( )!

Right into our Christian web,
the parents are lovingly led,
and the kids so full of sugary joy,
are unknowingly part of our Christian ploy,
To share the love and joy,
Of Jesus Christ and the grace for all to enjoy.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I think it's a stupid, commercial day that is slowly becoming more popular here in Australia so people can spend more money on junk.

I can't stand it and my children won't participate.
here in America, Halloween is just as big as Christmas. and, I live in a college town, the kids are nuts about it, probably already having parties...

7seasrekeyed

football is worse

every Sunday

it's a religion

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That is a definite NO. Kids need to know this.

Honoring the dead as such is not objectionable (at the right time and place), but Halloween goes well beyond that and opens the door to evil spirits.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
here in America, Halloween is just as big as Christmas. and, I live in a college town, the kids are nuts about it, probably already having parties...
Yes I know. When I was a child, it wasn't a thing here, I knew about it from American movies etc but we never celebrated.

Sep 29, 2019

A few questions here...

In the first few centuries of christendom prayers for the dead were a part of the church. Since many of the church fathers believed in eternal, universal restoration then it was deemed efficacious to pray for departed souls.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In the first few centuries of christendom prayers for the dead were a part of the church. Since many of the church fathers believed in eternal, universal restoration then it was deemed efficacious to pray for departed souls.
Unfortunately the Bible makes it perfectly clear that there are no second chances after death. Many of the church fathers deveioped many unbiblical doctrines. So the Bible has to be our final authority.

Sep 29, 2019
Unfortunately the Bible makes it perfectly clear that there are no second chances after death. Many of the church fathers deveioped many unbiblical doctrines. So the Bible has to be our final authority.
Even though they were nearer to the apostles time than our own and did use the bible in which to base teachings??

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Even though they were nearer to the apostles time than our own and did use the bible in which to base teachings??
Believe it or not, while the apostles were still alive, many false doctrines entered into the churches. Kindly read and study Revelation 1-3, and meditate on that.

Sep 29, 2019
Believe it or not, while the apostles were still alive, many false doctrines entered into the churches. Kindly read and study Revelation 1-3, and meditate on that.
I will. X

M

Miri

I honestly don’t know how Christian families, can encourage their
children to dress up a as vampires, zombies, witches etc. Over in the UK it’s
not very nice or healthy at all. It’s a celebration of horror.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

A few questions here...

Same answer as always and yet always ignored or made excuses for.
If people want to complain about the "pagan roots" of things why isn't it Only holidays? Our daily lives have plenty of elements with pagan roots and yet no one is willing to give up those. They simply pick and choose which pagan roots elements they are willing to give up. Sounds convenient to only think the easiest ones need to be given up.
So many speak against pagan roots of holidays while wearing wedding rings, which is a pagan tradition, they still won't give them up though.
When these people live it out 100% and not just when it's an easy platform to get attention then maybe I'll take them seriously. Until then it's just people saying one thing and doing another.

E

EliBeth

As a child, I was involved in trick-or-treating. I haven't participated in many years. It is alarming to me that more and more death, gore, darkness, ungodly power, and fear are being celebrated. In my mind, participating in Halloween is at least somewhat condoning of these things. Ephesians 5:8-10 "For you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord." Perhaps dressing up as an innocent teddy bear and asking candy of your neighbor is permissable. But personally I do not intend on having any future children of mine involved with Halloween. A consideration of mine is what my child may be exposed to.

Oct 7, 2019

A few questions here...

I never saw it as a way to celebrate the dead. It was a fun time to dress up and go out to get candy, or go to a party with games. My kids participated in the fun part, not the gruesome, evil stuff that is out there. It was fun for them to be a character from a cartoon or movie like Toy Story. That's what it was when I was a kid. I just never worried about my children being influenced by the evil side because I was open with them about things.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

A few questions here...

I visit the cemetery or mausoleum so as to visit and bring flowers to honor and remember passed friends and family. In the case of one relative I bring birdseed during the autumn and winter months. I feed the birds at her graveside because she did that at her home for many years of her life. Therefore, I don't think I can judge anyone or any culture that does the same in their own tradition.

As for Halloween, I think if I explain to my children what Hallows is, and that there is no devil worship involved as pertains to past histories of pagan culture, nor now, and that it is for some their religious tradition but for us it is a time of costumes, fun and candy, that they'll be fully informed and ready to play.
It's fun as a grownup to costume myself as chaperone.