Hard choice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

By the way a typical working day for me runs something like this.

Get up 6.15am
Get myself ready showered dressed etc.

7am go wake my aunt up which takes a while. Change her bed, make her
breakfast, give her all of her tablet and inhalers. Make her coffee and a
packed lunch. Often I will need to help her with the toilet. Clear breakfast
things away. Make my own breakfast and packed lunch. The carer arrives while I’m
just finishing off my breakfast. The carers comes for an hour to sort out my aunt’s
personal needs, then I go to work after leaving instructions.

We also have a lunch time carer for 30 mins and a mid afternoon carer for 30 mins.

Around 6pm I get home from work. Help me aunt to the toilet. Make her a coffee.
start dinner. Wash up, put the washing machine on. Clear up any messes, read
through the notes left by the carers.

Then we eat and I clean everything away. Then there is putting the laundry in the dryer
and waiting for that to finish.

Rest of evening is spent folding clothes, making coffee. Helping my aunt into and out of
bed. To and from the toilet. A bit of cleaning. Then bed.

Oh and not forgetting getting up maybe as many as 3 times in the night to check on her.
At the moment she is getting over a cold so needs regular inhalers and help during the
night. But even when she is well she often shouts me up as needs help.

Then there are then times I have to call out an ambulance in the middle of the night.
Like the other week when she slipped out of bed onto the floor. Or last year when
I had to call an ambulance 8 times and the hours spent in A and E at hospital.

Even my days off are full of community matron visits, respiratory nurse, chiropodist,
GP visits. Collecting meds from the pharamacy, occupational therapy visits. We never
have a week without some medical visits.

For anyone who just thinks do it, it’s your duty. They have no idea of the realities
of caring for someone. Don’t do it out of duty that would be awful for everyone.
No one wants someone looking after them out of duty. Do it because you love them and
because you are strong enough to cope.

S

Susanna

By the way a typical working day for me runs something like this.

Get up 6.15am
Get myself ready showered dressed etc.

7am go wake my aunt up which takes a while. Change her bed, make her
breakfast, give her all of her tablet and inhalers. Make her coffee and a
packed lunch. Often I will need to help her with the toilet. Clear breakfast
things away. Make my own breakfast and packed lunch. The carer arrives while I’m
just finishing off my breakfast. The carers comes for an hour to sort out my aunt’s
personal needs, then I go to work after leaving instructions.

We also have a lunch time carer for 30 mins and a mid afternoon carer for 30 mins.

Around 6pm I get home from work. Help me aunt to the toilet. Make her a coffee.
start dinner. Wash up, put the washing machine on. Clear up any messes, read
through the notes left by the carers.

Then we eat and I clean everything away. Then there is putting the laundry in the dryer
and waiting for that to finish.

Rest of evening is spent folding clothes, making coffee. Helping my aunt into and out of
bed. To and from the toilet. A bit of cleaning. Then bed.

Oh and not forgetting getting up maybe as many as 3 times in the night to check on her.
At the moment she is getting over a cold so needs regular inhalers and help during the
night. But even when she is well she often shouts me up as needs help.

Then there are then times I have to call out an ambulance in the middle of the night.
Like the other week when she slipped out of bed onto the floor. Or last year when
I had to call an ambulance 8 times and the hours spent in A and E at hospital.

Even my days off are full of community matron visits, respiratory nurse, chiropodist,
GP visits. Collecting meds from the pharamacy, occupational therapy visits. We never
have a week without some medical visits.

For anyone who just thinks do it, it’s your duty. They have no idea of the realities
of caring for someone. Don’t do it out of duty that would be awful for everyone.
No one wants someone looking after them out of duty. Do it because you love them and
because you are strong enough to cope.
You’re truly a good hearted person.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I'm with those who asked what reasons your wife is giving in opposing this idea. is she hesitant about his care? does/will he need 24 hr care? is she being expected to do ALL the care if he moves in? there are many details we don't have.

I work for a home health/hospice agency, and I can understand the need for help. we have a medical social worker on staff who helps patients and their families getting additional assistance in the home. there are many resources out there. maybe your wife will be more willing if there is additional help. I don't know. as I mention, there are many details we don't know.

Doodahdad

Jun 8, 2017
Hi Limbo, first of all I am so sorry to hear about your son... I cannot even begin to imagine just how devastating it must be to watch your child (no matter what age they are still your child!) fading before your eyes.... I am even finding it difficult even messaging you without tearing up at the thought...

One thing I do know, if your wife love and respects you as God has commanded her to, then really there should not be any question and I share the sentiments with most of the responses here, that you need to be there for your son and unfortunately your wife needs to get over herself. I wonder if there is some unspoken fear of facing death of any kind that she is not coming clean about...?