Hard questions about the Son of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

cliff

Hello: I love to talk to paster esp SDA pasters. I like to share the word as it is in Jesus Christ.

1. Isa 45:11 Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.

Question: Who is the Holy one of Israel and how was He made?

2. John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

Question: If the Father gave the Son to have life in Himself then was their a time when He did not have life in Himself?

3. Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third
day I shall be perfected.

Question: What is meant by a fox and was not Christ always perfect?

What is meant by perfected?

4. Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Question: What did the Son of God have to overcome?

5. John 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Question: Why did the Father seal the Son?

6. Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Question: If the Father Highly Exalted the Son then was there a time when He was not Exalted and what is this name that is above all names?

7. Act 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let
him go.

Question: If the Father glorified His Son was there a time when He was not glorified?

8. John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Question: Why did Jesus call His Father the only true God?

9. John 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Question: If the Father gave the Son to have power over all flesh then their had to be a time when He did not have that power. When was that?

If you are interested in more light (understanding) we can talk and bring forth more light.

Pro 4:18 But the path of the just
is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

More understanding leading us to the perfect day which is the Sabbath day when we are resting in Christ.

in Christ
cliff 

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Hello: I love to talk to paster esp SDA pasters. I like to share the word as it is in Jesus Christ.

1. Isa 45:11 Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.

2. John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

Question: If the Father gave the Son to have life in Himself then was their a time when He did not have life in Himself?

3. Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third
day I shall be perfected.

4. Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

5. John 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

6. Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Question: If the Father Highly Exalted the Son then was there a time when He was not Exalted and what is this name that is above all names?

7. Act 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let
him go.

Question: If the Father glorified His Son was there a time when He was not glorified?

8. John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

9. John 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Question: If the Father gave the Son to have power over all flesh then their had to be a time when He did not have that power. When was that?

If you are interested in more light (understanding) we can talk and bring forth more light.

Pro 4:18 But the path of the just
is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

More understanding leading us to the perfect day which is the Sabbath day when we are resting in Christ.

in Christ
cliff 

Hi Cliff, some good questions, Let me try an answer them for you as best I can.

1: Isa 45:11 Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.

Sometimes in when we read the scripture it is hard to structure the sentences in our English. It helps to know a little about context and the original language. This passage is one of those that can be easily misread.

God speaks as the one who is the “Holy one of Israel”. Then he also addresses himself as the maker of Israel. Another way of reading this passage is:

Thus saith the Lord, the Holy one of Israel and the maker of Israel… Then he questions who has any right to judge him on how he acts regarding his sons, notice it’s plural Son’s. speaking of his people/Israel.

Ok this one again makes a lot more sense when you understand the language. Not that you have to have a great knowledge but it helps.

If you look at verse:

Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

Notice that it says that the Father has committed all judgment to his son.
Now let me give you an example:

My wife and I have equal authority to judge our children when they misbehave. Yet I can say to my wife you decide on the course of action. This does not mean she did not have the authority to do so in the first place but rather that I committed the decision to her to make on her own. It is actually a position of complete trust in my wife to make that decision without me.

Now let’s look at your verse:

The word “given” here is actually the exact same word translated in verse 22 as committed. Thus the same thought is being applied here. It is not saying Jesus at one point did not have the authority, but rather that the Father who also has the authority is giving Jesus the decision to make. It is the stamp of the Fathers complete trust in His son. The Father steps back and allows His son to take the full decision.

3. Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

First the word “fox” means cunning or crafty. Thus he applies this thought to Herod who in the previous verse Jesus is told Herod wants to kill him.

Jesus response is very spiritual in nature. He speaks and it seems to make not much sense. But understanding the word perfection will help us.

Perfected: means to complete, finish, fulfill etc.

So Jesus says that it’s not yet time for his work to finish but on the third day he will complete his work.
Jesus is referring to his death that is coming. In which his work will be completed.

Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

This is what he came for to die for our sins. To complete our salvation.

Jesus came to this world to save us as we know. It is how he did it that makes this make more sense.

Heb 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Heb 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Jesus was made perfect by obedience as a man. how?

Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Heb 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Notice that he suffered being tempted. The verse in Heb 5 says that he learned obedience by his suffering. So putting these together we see that Jesus was tempted and through these temptations he learned to obey.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
He was tempted but did not sin.

So Jesus overcame sin in the flesh and thus put sin to death in the flesh.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

1Pe 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

Paul says that Jesus condemned sin in the flesh and peter says we should have the same mind as Jesus who ceased from sin.

So revelation:

Jesus overcame in the flesh. Overcome what?

Answer: Sin. Thus he says that all who overcome sin as he did will sit on his throne.

The other key is in the flesh. Jesus was perfect always and when he came to earth as a human he overcame temptation where Adam fell. And thus he has made a way for us to overcome where Adam fell.

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

I have not showed how but I hope this is enough to explain.

This verse says similar things to chapter 14 of John. Jesus makes the point he is not here just to continually provide physical needs but rather to supply spiritual needs. This is the real food that Jesus came to feed his flock. Spiritual food that will give everlasting life. Because God has sealed Him for this.

Now a seal is a mark of authority. Remember Jesus in chapter 5 was talking about having authority from His Father. So here he says God has sealed Him or in other words he has the authority of God.

So the question is what is the mark?

The next verses give us a clue:

Joh 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

They wanted to do the works that He did. Remember that just before this he had done the miracle with bread and fish.

Jesus refers to the works of God as a proof of the seal of His Father.

Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Jesus states that the works he does show that the Father is in Him doing the works.

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Thus these works are a proof of the seal or mark or approval of His Father in heaven. So the answer to your question lies in your understanding of seal, it simply means he has been approved or marked by God the Father, which is seen through the works he does.

Good question:
First of all the name has not changed:

Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

It’s the name of Jesus. What helps here is to understand what “name” means. The word translated name here actually stands or Character and Authority. So it would read thus.

Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him Authority which is above every Authority:
Php 2:10 That at the Authority of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Notice Jesus words himself:

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All Authority is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

To your question was there a time he was not exulted. Well in a sense yes. When he became a man and became less than he was before hand. Remember he stepped down from his authority in heaven to save us.

Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews might help:

Heb 2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Heb 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

See here we are shown that he was made a little lower than the angels when he came to earth, but once he purged our sins/died for us. He received a name/Authority greater than the angels. He was restored to his position of Authority.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
7. Act 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

Ok Glorify is to bring honor to someone or something. So here Jesus was honored. Why?
So the Father would also be honored.

Notice Jesus words in John 17 when he prayed shortly before he paid the price for our sins.

Joh 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

And again he says:

Joh 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
Joh 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Notice that he says the glory which I had with you before the world was. So in other words Jesus honored the Father and the Father honored the son. That in all things God would receive the glory.

How did Jesus honor his Father?

Joh 17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

He did it for His Father and ultimately obeyed even to death. Thus showing the Glory/character of God/love.

Remember when Moses asked to see Gods glory?

Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
Exo 33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo 34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
Exo 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
Exo 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Notice that God showed Moses His glory and it was a character description of mercy and love etc.
So Jesus manifested the character of God and God manifest His Character through Jesus. Thus the Father honored Jesus with the same honor he had with him before the world began.

This one has perplexed many in the past and even now. But let’s have a look. First of all I am going to assume that you know of the many examples in scripture where Jesus claims to be God. So I will not quote them.

But sufficed to say if Jesus said he is God then he is obviously not in this one text saying he is not God. So what is he saying?

Now what many people do not realize is the importance of the word “And” used here. One can read that as Jesus being separate from the title of God or one could read that as being included in this title. In English we would favor the former which says Jesus excludes himself from the title “true God” but that is because we are reading our mind thought into a Greed/Hebrew mind thought.

In the Greek/Hebrew mind this could also include Jesus as True God. In fact the very fact that Jesus claimed to be God would suggest that this is the case with this text.

as I was saying the word translated “and” here can also be an inclusive word or addition to what went before. E.g. that True God is in fact also a title that Jesus enjoins himself to. This is most likely the truth for a number of reasons.

1: Jesus claimed to be God els where numerous times.

2: Jesus then says two verses later that he had the same glory as the father. In other words they had the same character before this world. Making Jesus unified with the Father.

What else might help is something John says in 1John 5:20

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Here John says that Jesus the son is the True God. Now I don’t know how much language you have done on this. But many are baffled by this text because they don’t know if John is applying the term true God to the Father of Jesus. The reason for this is the bad grammar used by John in this passage.

I however trust that John was writing under inspiration and thus he deliberately used this bad grammar so that the term True God is applicable to both.
We are in him who is true? Who is this?

Answer: Even Jesus His son. This is the true God.
So in conclusion the evidence is overwhelming that Jesus is also God.

This one is the same as the question you had on John 5. The word conveys the Idea of committing. It in no way insinuates that Jesus at some time did not have this ability or authority. But rather the trust that the Father has in his son.

God bless you. If you need further explanation into any of these just ask. I have tried to keep it short but there are lots more.

Dec 14, 2011
If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

lets see what Jesus said:

“… I came from God!…” (John 8:42)

“… He sent Me!” (John 8:42)

“… I have come down from Heaven, not to do My own will, but the Will of Him Who sent Me!” (John 6:38)

“… As the Father knows Me, I know the Father!” (John 10:15)

“I and the Father are one!” (John 10:30)

" ... that they may be one as we are one (John 17:22)

“The Father is in Me, and I am in the Father!” (John 10:38)

''Remain in me, as I also remain in you. (John 15:4)

“… I declare to the world what I have heard from Him!” (John 8:26)

“I declare what I have seen in the Father’s presence!…” (John 8:38)

“The One who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do what is pleasing to Him!” (John 8:29)

“I can do nothing on My own!” (John 5:30)

“… I love the Father!…” (John 14:31)

“Righteous Father!… I have known You!…” (John 17:25)

“I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me should not remain in the darkness!” (John 12:46)

“I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness!…” (John 8:12)

“I came that (you) may have life and have it abundantly!” (John 10:10)

“I am the good Shepherd. The good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep!” (John 10:11)

“My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow Me!” (John 10:27)

“I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life… If you have known Me, you would have known My Father also!…” (John 14:6-7)

“For this reason the Father loves Me because I lay down My life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from My Father.” (John 10:17-18)

“… Abide in My love. If you keep My commands, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commands and abide in His love!” (John 15:9-10)

Jesus is crystal clear

the message stayed the same no matter what language

Last edited: