Have you ever left a church because there are no kids for your kid?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Currently at my church there is only 1 child the same age as my kid. So in their room when she's absent he's by himself.

There are some older kids, so as he gets older I think it would get better possibly.

Do you think I should start looking at other churches? It seems like such a little thing to leave over. But as he goes to public school he really won't have any christian friends possibly.

Am I just overthinking it or have you been in this situation?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
If it's a good Bible preaching church, I'd stay.
If it's not, then it wouldn't matter the size, I'd find one that is.
Every church starts small and should grow in time. I've attended the smallest church and the largest in my state. I would not worry about the programs or the numbers, but focus on the preaching/ teaching. I know of some good churches have no Sunday school program and the children stay with their parents. These churches are mostly family integrated and lots of the parents even home school. These churches have eventually grown to include all ages.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
PS: I was just thinking about your child's needs. Depending on where you live, there might be families who formed a christian home schooling group. They might even allow those who public school to participate. There are two local ones in my town, a secular and a separate christian one, that take frequent field trips and have weekly gatherings where the children are supervised, play and parents talk or participate in some activities. I led many of those and they had very good feedback. This isn't a replacement for church, but supplements for fellowship that might be lacking at this point.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Currently at my church there is only 1 child the same age as my kid. So in their room when she's absent he's by himself.

There are some older kids, so as he gets older I think it would get better possibly.

Do you think I should start looking at other churches? It seems like such a little thing to leave over. But as he goes to public school he really won't have any christian friends possibly.

Before leaving a church it is usually a good idea to determine why you are there in the first place. Did God lead you there?
Next I would consider am I being discipled and am I growing in grace? If not, has something changed about me or the ministry of the church?
If you determine it to be a good match for you then pray and ask other like-minded members to pray with you regularly concerning the matter. Prayer is a Christians most powerful tool and too often least used.

Billyd

May 8, 2014

Sounds like you have a new outreach ministry for your church. Get involved. Share your concerns with your pastor and son's class teacher. Work with the teacher. Visit families with children your son's age. Invite them to church.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Sounds like you have a new outreach ministry for your church. Get involved. Share your concerns with your pastor and son's class teacher. Work with the teacher. Visit families with children your son's age. Invite them to church.
I like that idea. However, that sounds easier said then done considering I don't have friends. And even if the moon and stars aligned I'd never be able to get to that part of the conversation with my kids doing par core off the walls... 🧱

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
It sounds like you have to decide whether or not you want to run a youth outreach, working with the pastor/assistant pastor to bring in more families with children. Or not. If not then change churches.