HAVING DONE ALL, STAND!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ogbeide

Jun 5, 2012
Having Done All, Stand!
“Wherefore take unto you the whole amour of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand”

As we progress in the purpose of God through Christ for our lives as believers in Christ; it is important to understand these processes as we progress in this race that is set before us. Let’s therefore consider three basic facts as believers in Christ.
1. Our Stand
2. The ground in which we stand

3. Standing

Our Stand

“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage”

We are admonished not to take our liberty in Christ in vain, neither are we to compromised or take for granted the great work of Calvary. Rather are to truly embrace the cross of Christ and enforce the victory of Calvary by standing firmly in the grace provided through the sulvivic work of Christ. As believers in Christ we are constantly in a battle with the oppositions, who are ever trying to over turn our faith and negatively affect our testimonies in Christ; therefore we are to constantly and consistently affirm our affirmation of faith, because its only through our anchor of faith that we not only demonstrates Satan’s defeat, and establish our victory through the cross of Christ, but most importantly enthrones Jesus Christ as Lord of all. Apostle John speaking concerning this said in Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto death” This means the cross of Christ should ever be the object of our faith; in other word nothing else comes first but Christ and what He there did for us at Calvary cross. Not religion, not dogmatism, not church activities, not tradition, and not the trial of our faith but Christ and the cross of Christ. Someone once said ‘if you stand for nothing then you fall for everything’ this is correct because we are constantly faced with choices, and challenges daily, many of which comes to dissuade and cause dismay and frustrations. It is at this point of our daily temptations, and trials of faith that we make choices and thereby eventually determine our stand. As believers in Christ, the path we are to tread are made plain before us through God’s word, but it’s still remains our responsibility to walk God’s divine path. We see many examples in scriptures of individuals we had to make choices and walk the path of their decision. Joseph for example had to flee from Potiphar’s wife to honour God; endures the cost of right decision thus was led to the palace. (Genesis 39), we also see this strong determination in Daniel to please God in spite of any circumstances. Daniel 1:8 says: “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.” Again we see this same blessed decision in the three Hebrew boys; Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego who refuses to bow to any other gods but to reverence Jehovah-God only. (Daniel 3) In Daniel 6:21 Daniel testified of God’s faithfulness and deliverance from the dangerous lion’s den. In Hebrews 11 we see a ladder of great heroes of faith who through faith and patience inherited the promise.

Our stand calls for identification, determination and concrete decision based on God’s word. Though we are not sinlessly perfect but are admonished to stand firmly in God’s grace when our obedient is complete. This means; our responsibility is to fulfill our part by doing all that God’s word expects of us; and leave the rest in God’s mighty hand. This was the same idea Apostle Paul communicated to the believers in Colossi’s; for example Colossians 4:12 “… that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.” this is the same admonition stated in verse 10 and 11 of Ephesians 6 “…be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might…Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil”

Friend, we must realize that ‘Our stand’ is a paradox, which involves our practical Christianity. It must be none of us and all of Christ. We must rely absolutely on Christ and the cross of Christ to have victory. We become a lamb in order to become a lion, we become weak in order to be mighty, and we humble ourselves in order to be lifted. We see a clear example of this paradox in Revelation 5, Christ humbled Himself and thus was lifted above all, He became the Lamb as to become the Lion. “And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.” Let me restate, that this is the sole work of the Holy Spirit carried out in the life of a true believer who absolutely rely in the sulvivic work of Christ. This seems to be the most difficult part because it’s the main stream of our challenges; it involves our practical Christianity. The word ‘take’ or ‘put on’ entails a practical and deliberate action on our part. This is what we do through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. Apostle Paul listed this entire Christian armory in verse 13 – 19 of Ephesians 6. Everyone of these weapons are apparently necessary to enforce the victory of Calvary.

To be strong and stand in the power of God’s might is to hold our peace in spite of misunderstanding, misrepresentations, delays, challenges and allow God fight your battle; without doubt victory becomes inevitable. Again, it’s important to know that God’s ways are completely different from man’s way; He might not come exactly the way we suppose, but the great news is that He is never late and never fails nor abandon His faithful ones. Once we have this hope as an anchor, then we know that the good news is that the bad news is a lie and a passing phase; God has never failed yet and never will. The Psalmist speaking concerning this affirm in Psalm 37:25 “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”
To the seed sower waiting for harvest, keep sowing for your seed will definitely bring forth harvest at the appointed time; to those believing God for child bearing, and answers seems delay keeping praying and waiting on God who makes barren woman mother of children; to those believing God for promotion keeping looking up to God the lifter of our heads; to those believing for healing keep believing the Sun of righteousness who rises with healing in His wings; for those believing for material provision keeping trusting Jehovah El-shaddai – our great provider; to those believing for great out pouring of souls into God’s kingdom, keep preaching the uncompromised message of the cross, trusting the Holy Spirit to bring about conviction and conversion. The Psalms speaking concerning this unshakable steadfastness in God’s unfailing word said in Psalm 27: 13, 14 “I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD”. This was the same idea he bears out plainly in Psalm 40:1-4 “I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies”. It is important to know that as true Christians we are called out of the ways of the world to live in the light; we are to fight the good fight of faith, which is resting in the finish work of Christ, and are thereby empowered to stand firm, thus enforcing and establishing our victory in Christ.

The ground in which we Stand

As believers in Christ we must realize that we have become children of light and should walk in the light. Christ is the very ground in which we stand and are to continuously build upon. Our focus must not be shafted to religious activities or dogmatic practices. Christ and Him crucified should be the centre of our message and the very foundation of our hope and faith. It couldn’t be better than the wording in the old hymn of the church:
Stand up, stand up for Jesus,

stand in his strength alone;

the arm of flesh will fail you,

ye dare not trust your own.

Put on the gospel armor,

each piece put on with prayer;

where duty calls or danger,

be never wanting there.

Apostle Paul speaking concerning the ground in which we stand said in 1 Corinthians 3:11 “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ”. Note the last four words “…which is Jesus Christ” the Apostle using this words meant Christ is the source and the cross of Christ is the means; in other word our focus should never be remove from the cross of Christ. This was the same idea he bears out in Hebrews 12:2, 3: “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds”. Note two phrases here: “looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith…” And the phrase “…, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds” This means our strengthen does not lie on us but on the finisher of our faith…“…, lest we become wearied and loss faith” Therefore, as believers in Christ we should ever continue to believe and affirm our testimonies, because we overcome by our testimony of faith in the finish work of Christ. Christ is our standing ground.

Standing

The Christian believer is called out of darkness into Christ marvelous light; recognizing this point of reverse, otherwise referred to as repentance, which is a turn around from the wrong path to the right path, gives a true sense of belief, formation and steadfastness. In other word the Christian believer is brought into awareness of the opposite forces and the need to advance amidst all of these oppositions, which Apostle Paul refers to in his second epistles to the believers in Corinth as our light affliction. 2nd Corinthians 4:17, 18 “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal” Note three most important phase that stands out in this exhortation:
(a) Note the phrase “…for our light affliction, which is but for a moment…”

(b) Note the phrase “…works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory…”

(c) Note the phrase “…we look note at the things which are seen…”

We shall therefore base our first basic facts on these three phrases.

Now! Here Apostle Paul is encouraging us as believers in Christ not to give heed, not even an inch to our daily struggles, trails, temptations, malicious representations, falsehood, and the accusations from the wicked ones. But to rather commonise and overlook them while progressing and laying hold on eternal life; which is Christ and Him crucified. We see this very attitude in his own life after his conversion on Damascus road. For example in 2nd Corinthians 11:26 he recapitulates some of these warfare he has gone and going through: “In journeying often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in peril by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren. In weariness and painfulnesss, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which omes upon me daily, the care of all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is offeded, and I burn not? If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern my infirmities” In spites of all of these persecutions and hazard the Apostle Paul stood his ground firmly and pressed on towards the price of the high calling of God in Christ. As believers in Christ, we are admonished through out the scriptures to endure and stand our ground in Christ. 1st Thessalonians 3:3 says:” That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto” The same idea Apostle Paul bears out in 2ndTimothy 1:8 “Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; “ We are admonished not to be ashamed of our hope and faith in Christ, neither are we to be intimidated by the false and deceitfulness of the world, rather are to be soldiers in Christ. In 2nd Timothy 4:5 we are commanded to concern ourselves in pleasing God rather than man; therefore are to war a good warfare of faith. “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier”. Apostle Peter speaking concerning our standing; outlines the paradox for our victorious living in 1st Peter: 5:6: “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour. Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.”

Firstly: Humble ourselves, Secondly Cast all our care upon Christ, having the unshakable faith that He cares for us. Thirdly, Be sober, be vigilant – watchful of the devices of the craftiness of the enemy. Fourthly: We are to consistently and continuously resist the devil steadfastly in Christ. In Hebrews 10:32 we are encouraged not to loss heart but to constantly reflect on God’s testimonies as a means of courage in our continuous press towards the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. “But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;” If God has ever come through for us yesterday, He remains the same, God definitely will come through for us today in a bigger and better way. Our affirmation of faith should be “The God of all grace will make me perfect, establish me, strengthen and settle me” (1st Peter 5:10)

Have the spirit of expectancy; believe God for greater things, because God always save the best for the last. “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28) Having done the will of God, stand.