Hebrew thinking and Greek thinking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
The people that the OT talks about had a different way of thinking, and even of talking than we do. When we are given a fact it makes us ask a lot of questions about it. An example is the fact of the creation of our earth. We ask how long God took to do that, what does God mean by a day, why do scientist say it was millions of years and God says a week, how did God do that?

Those things weren’t important to the Hebrews. They said Oh, so God is the creator of me and this earth, how does that affect me, how can I fit into this fact? They really didn’t care about how long it took, and God didn’t tell them.

They didn’t talk about feelings or emotions. They were a very emotional people, so emotions were just understood. They used what resulted from the emotion, the doing of it, to express emotion. Their language reflects that. The way they wrote love was of a person bringing gifts. Their word for home was a picture of a tent. Their word for image is a shadow. They wouldn’t have been able to comprehend our way of thinking.

Much of the NT is about bringing these two ideas together. We are told that faith without works is dead. That doing legalistically just doesn’t cut it. We are to be humble before our God. Or “suffer the little children to come to me”.

G

I was reading your blog and my mind went back to some things I have
read in the OT. The people, the actions. I think often times we have
thought of these precious people as someone way in the past, and find
it difficult to relate. Yet, as you write your blog, it brings it all together.