Help Out The New Guy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

christepidemic

So, I just recently graduated from Christian University, and now it is time to take the next step. I am 38 years old, and have a wife and teenage son. The problem is...the next step has not been revealed. We live on the campus, and have to be moved out no later than the second week of June. I have a few "trial sermons" scheduled towards taking a pastorate, but basically we are packing our things and have no idea where we are moving to. I am throwing out two questions here...

1) How do we best respond to people who are of a "lesser" faith when they ask where we are moving...and we say "Not sure yet". (They all want to "help" us with suggestions and ask questions but none of them can understand the faith we are exhibiting by just waiting on the Lord...we know they mean well)

2) Is a "calling" always related to a specific place? Or will Christ go with me/bless me regardless of whatever church I decide to become pastor at?

M

mcap

Congratulations on your graduation.I will soon be starting a leadership class thru my church and am really excited.
As for your friends,I think It will be hard for them to understand how someone can put their faith and trust in someone they can't see or touch.I believe you should start your ministry by teaching your friends what you have learned.By making their faith stronger and their knowledge deeper(right word?)they will understand you more.
I believe God will stand by you no matter where you serve.Where ever that is will be where He wants you.Good luck and God bless

D

Dragoon9

Hello CE,

1) Why can't waiting on the Lord include the voices of Christians? How do you expect the word of the Lord to come to you? How has it come in the past? What is your specific gifting?

2) I think we often over-focus and apply business thinking to our theology/faith today. The idea that our V & M has to be well crafted and constructed seems to clash with the more Eastern perspectives given in the NT. Paul was the apostle to the gentiles, yet wherever he went, he spoke first in the synagogues.

C

christepidemic

In truth, I guess I have always had a problem with organized religion. I love the Lord, and have great relationship with Christ. I had a decent grasp on my Bible long before I answered the call to go to college. I picked up some cultural, geographical, and theological principles from college that I might not have stumbled upon on my own. (This means that Bible study now includes dictionaries and commentaries) I believe fiercely in a “one on one” relationship with Christ and teach that Christ uses our individual giftedness to benefit his kingdom. I do NOT think that conforming to the Holy Spirit means conforming to the man-made traditions handed down by most mainstream denominations. It is in my heart to start a non-denominational ministry…
Some of the confusion on “calling” comes from the fact that I have searched hard for a “secular” job and have been unable to secure one. (The finances through which we would use to develop said “non-denominational ministry”) We (the wife and I) have received several calls from denominational churches to come and “try out” for pastor. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am definitely NOT your traditional type “pastor” kind of guy…but that seems to be the only job opportunities that are opening to me right now. To further complicate things, the churches that are calling me have no parsonage to offer, and do not really have enough to offer by way of a financial package for us to survive on? (I am a locally licensed minister through the Churches of Christ in Christian Union.)
I am CERTAIN that Christ called me to college, and have many “God Sightings” to look upon for confirmation of that fact. If He called me to college, then there has to be some purpose? It is difficult to discern what the next step is, and we seem to be down to the wire on making that next step. We have more “unchurched” friends than friends that are saved, and they have been watching this whole drama unfold in our lives since a couple years before I started college. (A long story…but a good one, I am working on a posting of my testimony called “An unlikely source of light”) We (the wife and I) are in new territory spiritually right now and we just do not have explanations for our friends concerning where Christ has us right now.

L

Lauren

Maybe God is using your friends and acquaintances to guide you where He wants you. I have found that sometimes you just have to take a step forward, praying all the while that it is God's will, and if it isn't, that He somehow shuts the door on it.

If you are waiting for God to drop a parsonage into your lap, you'll probably be waiting a long time...lol. Not that it can't happen, and not that God won't do wonderous things in your life, but sometimes we have to start walking the path before God can guide our steps. Think about it -- if you are standing still, you are going in no direction, there is nothing to guide. But if you start walking, taking one step at a time, God can order your path.

Of course you went to college for a reason. But sometimes that reason won't be immediately clear. It may come into play down the line, not necessarily now. So just because you don't think you're hearing from God on this doesn't mean he's not involved.

L

Lauren

Oops, I meant to say that I pray you find the direction you are looking for and you are given the discernment of God's will for your life. Amen

D

Dragoon9

Thanks for the clarifications CE.

I think one of the greatest challenges in explaining and sharing the faith are in 'de-contextualizing' it... taking away all the barnacles that our cultures have placed on faith, and going to the core of what Christ teaches.

Is the end result going to be the best witness for your non-Christian friends... or will how you walk in the process be a greater witness?

Why would working within a 'denominational' church change your 'non-denominational' focus? For me, the whole point is not that all denominations are 'bad', but rather that there is only one church... the one led by our Great High Priest, Jesus the Christ. Working within denominational churches may be a wonderful way to disciple people in the core of what Christ teaches, while celebrating the human traditions that have developed to demonstrate that worship (and recognizing how these are not part of Christ's teachings themselves). Just a thought there... not sure if it is possible in actuality due to specific doctrinal statements you may be asked to conform to.

Perhaps God is seeking to temper your individualism and remind you that even in a one-on-one relationship to God, we are still to be under authority and to honour and ober all earthly authority? I'm not saying this because I think you are particularly rebellious, but rather because our society is.

A humble servnt often said, God's work, done in God's ways, will never lack for God's support. (my paraphrase)

Sounds like a wonderful place to be in though... being tested and being treated as a son ;)

A

ariannaaa

i think that God CAN have a specific calling as far as location goes, but my pastor once said "Don't sit around waiting for God to open doors... Go out and serve the Lord until He starts closing them."

I think we oftentimes get stuck and don't move forward and serving opportunities bc we haven't heard a specific call yet. I know its happened to me! :)

good luck with everything.