Helping friend

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 31, 2011
I had wanted to share a question I had on helping the lost.
I have a friend,she is 76 year old elderly lady who lives alone,has slight demetia(memory loss) and is not saved.
The memory loss is not good.Unfortunately she is a major wine drinker daily (way more than 1 should consume)..Does it peacefully at home in evenings.But in excess.
Ive done my best to share God with her in a kind way yet try to share the damage drinking does to her in every way.spiritually also.I feel the every day habit with the loss of memory is causing it to be a loss for words of any kind-to sink in(the mind is wandering)

I want to help lead her to Him before the mind "goes"-and the dametia worsens but unsure how to- other than be kind and share God in different ways/pray..Time is so limited...

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank You

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
First of all, God bless you for taking the time to care for this lady. I would focus on praying for her conversion. Her intellect is probably no longer viable due to her dementia, so I would concentrate on loving her as best you can so that she will notice and ask why you care so much about her..then you can tell her because you want her to feel a little bit of the love that her father in heaven has for her. I think God often shows miraculous things to the elderly, especially when their time is near, and I have heard many stories where someone was trying to convert another person before they passed and didn't even know they were successful until after the fact, so I would keep on praying and have faith in God...surrender it and put it in the Lord's hands.

God bless.

C

ChildrenofNoah

Agreeing with Zerotolerance

I agree with zerotolerance.

We all sin, the drinking at this point is not the point to press. Rather love her and let her know that you do what you do because you love a man called Jesus who did similar things and pray to God before you visit her and while you are with her. If you make the lady meals say you want to say a pray to bless the food first.

There is one thing you can angle for. Having her vocalise in her own words that she accepts Jesus.

If she is agreeable with you(and you dont mention her being antagonistic) then when you tell her about Jesus if she says things like "that's nice dear" then tell her " Yes Jesus is a nice person isn't he? " and " he is the son of God and God ..isn't that amazing " and relate why he is amazing back to the blessings she has received either in life or if she has had none then the blessing she has in sending you to her.

I cannot say why people have these diseases and ailgments, but i can say that it's interesting that her ailgment has brought you to her and myself and others to pray for her...

God bless you in your efforts, and i will pray to Jesus for you to send you strength and perserverance and to her to have moments of clarity to understand the message of Jesus. As God wills.

Calmador

Jun 23, 2011
First of all, God bless you for taking the time to care for this lady. I would focus on praying for her conversion. Her intellect is probably no longer viable due to her dementia, so I would concentrate on loving her as best you can so that she will notice and ask why you care so much about her..then you can tell her because you want her to feel a little bit of the love that her father in heaven has for her. I think God often shows miraculous things to the elderly, especially when their time is near, and I have heard many stories where someone was trying to convert another person before they passed and didn't even know they were successful until after the fact, so I would keep on praying and have faith in God...surrender it and put it in the Lord's hands.

God bless.

What he said, Love is extremely powerful, but pray so God can use it. Pray and Love her. Also dont be anxious, Gods in control ok... nomatter what you do whats right and God will bless you and hopefully this lady will be saved but rememeber... just because some people reject God... it doesnt mean your not doing it right... it just means God almighty was/is nice enough to give us freewill to choose ok? Thats all I got for now.

B

barukhmalachi

Try speaking gods word to her and praying with her as she is asleep. If your around her while she is sleeping. The spirit doesn't sleep, and will hear you. Maybe her spirit will start to rise up in her and push her to listen to you about god. The truth of god and his existance is in our spirit since that is the part of us that comes from him. Nothing weird and unbiblical like hipnosis, just pray and witness to her as if she is awake. Not saying I have any experienceof this working, just an idea to reach someone who's concience mind ain't 100%.