Hi everyone! I'm looking to explore the topic of faith and AI

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I meant people who follow Christ. I didn't think the term Christian typically applied to cults.

There doesn't have to be a singular belief though. I'm sure there are tools for Lutherans that Methodists are less likely to use.

Let me know if there's a better way to communicate that as I'd definitely like to know!

Non-Christian cult followers refer and present themselves as Christian, and there are a lot of actual Christians who don't know the difference. Throw in the other factors even among Christians that I listed above, and we're back to a biased and flawed platform depending on who is developing it.
 
I'm not advocating that ChatGPT, Gemini or Claude will be good stewards of scripture or biblical advice. I am advocating though, that Christians can create tools using this technology which are.

Sycophant. Thank you for the term.

I agree that AI can also be used for good and Christians can create tools using this technology. However, if we rely on AI to get deeper in the Word instead of relying on the Holy Spirit, then that is dangerous and cannot have a good outcome.


I think your point is that even though technology is used, it is still the Word of God which is going to be the focus. That's a good point and also my concern is that AI-based Bible or interpretation without the Holy Spirit will be just information like all information out there. AI doesn't know the end from the beginning. Only God does. Also, what looks good may not be the good that God wants you to do. Can AI have discernment? What I am trying to say is that relying on good technology to help someone grow in the Lord can have a negative impact. There are preachers who preach the Word incorrectly because they don't rely on God to understand the Scriptures but on their own understanding or have their own agenda. AI will be trained on the human understanding and agenda of the Word.

I listened to a podcast where it was said that Gen Zs are the most anxious generation and depressed because they have access to unlimited information. This tells me how important it is to limit the use of technology and information.

Thank you for this interesting thread that you have started.
 
On youtube, some channels have been using Ai voices to read out written sermons or books from good preachers of the past. One very obvious problem is, there is none of God's spirit in the voice (no Godly unction or power). This can never be successfully faked, whether humans or Ai try to do it. The listeners would be better off to read the original sermon. These Ai-read messages will only kill the spirit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jmathai and Citizen
On youtube, some channels have been using Ai voices to read out written sermons or books from good preachers of the past. One very obvious problem is, there is none of God's spirit in the voice (no Godly unction or power). This can never be successfully faked, whether humans or Ai try to do it. The listeners would be better off to read the original sermon. These Ai-read messages will only kill the spirit.

Interesting observation. I had not thought about it from this perspective.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jmathai
Non-Christian cult followers refer and present themselves as Christian, and there are a lot of actual Christians who don't know the difference. Throw in the other factors even among Christians that I listed above, and we're back to a biased and flawed platform depending on who is developing it.
@Citizen If I understand correctly, you're saying that trust comes in an order...perhaps something like this.
1. scripture
2. your pastor
3. teachers and leaders you know or trust
4. platforms you trust

That's a very interesting way to think about it. For those who use platforms, how do we establish trust with them?
 
@Citizen If I understand correctly, you're saying that trust comes in an order...perhaps something like this.
1. scripture
2. your pastor
3. teachers and leaders you know or trust
4. platforms you trust

That's a very interesting way to think about it. For those who use platforms, how do we establish trust with them?

Great question. Just speaking for myself, even with platforms/sites I use or pastors/teachers I listen to, I will still never blindly put my trust in them... ever. I will always be a Berean and test everything. Thinking about it this way: I can use an AI platform and have to continually test it for truth because of the very real potential for bias and manipulation OR I can save myself the time and effort and just go directly to the source of truth, which is obviously the Bible. If I want to gather together scriptures on a particular topic or keywords, I'm just going to use a simple search database.

When you said earlier that you meant only 'followers of Christ', that is a very large category, my friend, and there are churches/people out there who call themselves Christian yet do not believe in the Biblical gospel. That is the reality we live in.
 
Great question. Just speaking for myself, even with platforms/sites I use or pastors/teachers I listen to, I will still never blindly put my trust in them... ever. I will always be a Berean and test everything. Thinking about it this way: I can use an AI platform and have to continually test it for truth because of the very real potential for bias and manipulation OR I can save myself the time and effort and just go directly to the source of truth, which is obviously the Bible. If I want to gather together scriptures on a particular topic or keywords, I'm just going to use a simple search database.

When you said earlier that you meant only 'followers of Christ', that is a very large category, my friend, and there are churches/people out there who call themselves Christian yet do not believe in the Biblical gospel. That is the reality we live in.
One thing that is often overlooked is the context of the NT times. What did the average person know without having to have it specifically referenced? Most Christian sources have to get past some "Statement of Faith", which does not always recognize certain truths, such as the "Great Councils" of the church were held to determine who got imperial funding and who was left out, yet we know use them to determine what a "true " Christian believes. Does a "true Christian" worry about who gets money from the government?
 
I can use an AI platform and have to continually test it for truth because of the very real potential for bias and manipulation OR I can save myself the time and effort and just go directly to the source of truth, which is obviously the Bible.
To be clear, my expectation is that everything points to the Bible. Sermons, studies ... and for the context of this conversation - chats with AI. I think relying on AI to explain or discern the meaning of scripture and trust it blindly is extremely foolish. I don't think our views are *that* different.

I think the conversation about "true Christian" needs a thread all to its own!
 
  • Like
Reactions: TabinRivCA
Hi jmathai a late welcome but nevertheless, welcome to CC! I see you are a seeker of the Truth and that's a good thing. When I say I'm a Christian, it means I am 'In Christ' and have the 'mind of Christ...the Holy Spirit'. What's the saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater', lol. Lots of people are leaving the beautiful rainbow behind, why, bc to some it means the gay world. I use it as a chance to tell people, no, it means just the opposite, a sign from God that He'll never destroy the 'whole' world again. God bless you and your endeavors!👏🙌
 
  • Like
Reactions: Templar62