hi

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
It is important to know church history, imo
I was just trying to point out that the usage of that word can give the impression that you uphold Roman Catholic doctrine which is full of unbiblical rules and deception.

Dec 6, 2019
I was just trying to point out that the usage of that word can give the impression that you uphold Roman Catholic doctrine which is full of unbiblical rules and deception.
It’s not a word I usually use. I just used it in reference to posts, and I was careful to indicate I am not RC

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
"catholic" is an adjective, describing a characteristic of the Church. A person, place or thing is a noun. A person cannot be a "catholic." (That would be like saying, "I'm a tall.) They could, however, be a "catholic" Christian.

(Kim, Not to "nitpick", of course.... just imparting some grammatical information.) LOL

Dec 6, 2019
"catholic" is an adjective, describing a characteristic of the Church. A person, place or thing is a noun. A person cannot be a "catholic." (That would be like saying, "I'm a tall.) They could, however, be a "catholic" Christian.

(Kim, Not to "nitpick", of course.... just imparting some grammatical information.) LOL
Yes, in the original meaning, a catholic Christian is one who belongs to the body of Christ by the New Birth.

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
Yes, in the original meaning, a catholic Christian is one who belongs to the body of Christ by the New Birth.
I know that sounds good, and all that. And I dig your usage.
But, the actual word only means:
cath·o·lic
/ˈkaTH(ə)lik/
adjective
adjective: catholic
  1. including a wide variety of things; all-embracing.
    "her tastes are pretty catholic"

Similar:
    diverse, diversified, wide, broad, broad-based. eclectic

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
Hi, I’m discern. Can’t wait to talk Bible with fellow believers
That is an awesome way to come into this place!
I want to welcome you to C.Chat.😀.
May God bless you with God and Godly conversation about that and anything else the Holy Spirit instructs you to tall about here.
May you be Blessed with much Wisdom, Love, kindness, Peace , Protection and all manner of Good things in God's Blessed name (your family as well...). Amen.
Welcome.🙂

Dec 6, 2019
cath·o·lic
/ˈkaTH(ə)lik/
adjective

Similar:
I defined it in context of the Apostles Creed. All embracing- ie embracing all
cath·o·lic
/ˈkaTH(ə)lik/
adjective

Similar:
How would you apply that definition to the use of the word catholic in the apostles creed?

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
I defined it in context of the Apostles Creed. All embracing- ie embracing all

How would you apply that definition to the use of the word catholic in the apostles creed?
Basically, "the wide-spread church."

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
BTW, the word "catholic" is only found in selected versions of the two most popular creeds.

THE APOSTLES CREED
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit; Born of the Virgin
Mary; Suffered under Pontius Pilate; Was crucified, dead and buried; He descended into Hell; The third
day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven; And sitteth on the right hand of God the
Father Almighty; From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit; The Holy Christian Church, the Communion of Saints; The Forgiveness of
sins; The Resurrection of the body; And the life everlasting. Amen.

THE NICENE CREED
I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and
invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages, God
of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten not made, being of one substance with the Father,
through Whom all things were made: Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, was
incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man: Who for us, too, was crucified under
Pontius Pilate, suffered, and was buried: the third day He rose according to the Scriptures, ascended into
heaven, and is seated on the right hand of the Father: He shall come again with glory to judge the living
and the dead, and His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life, Who proceeds from the Father and the Son: Who
together with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified: Who spoke by the prophets.
And I believe one holy, Christian, and apostolic Church.

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins, and I look for the resurrection of the dead and life of
the age to come.

Amen.

Dec 6, 2019
Basically, "the wide-spread church."
Study the etymology, and you will find that it comes from a word that means about the whole or on the whole. In other words, the entire church universal. Then you have to define church, which biblically is all saved believers, that is all who have been baptized by one Spirit into Christ and His Body.

When I said I am catholic, I was using the word as an adjective meaning I embrace and love as brethren all who love Jesus and worship Him in Spirit and truth.

God bless

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
Study the etymology, and you will find that it comes from a word that means about the whole or on the whole. In other words, the entire church universal. Then you have to define church, which biblically is all saved believers, that is all who have been baptized by one Spirit into Christ and His Body.

When I said I am catholic, I was using the word as an adjective meaning I embrace and love as brethren all who love Jesus and worship Him in Spirit and truth.

God bless
Fine.