Hold the milk toast...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

Most of the time I try to post things that are encouraging, loving or fun because we all need that in our lives. But today...I’m just not feelin’ it. I’m frustrated. So very frustrated.

The world looks at the Church and doesn’t see much going on. Some of us know that a great move of God is coming and we are impatient for it. But some who call themselves christians are all too willing to water down the scriptures until they are nothing but milk toast because they don’t want to offend the world.

I Peter 2: 4 As you come to Him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to Him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:
“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in Him
will never be put to shame.”

7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
“The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”

8 and,
“A stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.”

They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.
9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Jesus told it like it was. He didn’t water it down, not even when He stood before Pilate. ESPECIALLY then... If we are truly His followers, can we do less??

Sometimes we take a nibble of the scriptures and it doesn’t go down easy. But out of our loving obedience, we hang in there, finally swallow it and are changed.

Revelation 3: 15-16 - I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Am I the only one who feels like vomiting when I hear time and time again that we should toss this or that out of the scriptures because “our culture has changed”???

Hebrews 13:8 - Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

That scripture is either true or it’s not. Those who know it to be true will hold fast to the teaching of our Lord, no matter what “society” thinks. Might, indeed, does not make right. It was the mob who demanded Christ’s crucifixion and set Barabbas free, was it not?

Hold fast to the teachings of our Lord. He is Truth and He is Light and He is Lord and He is God.

Revelation 3:11-13 - I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
I totally concur with your frustration Jullianna. We definitely live in a time when the spirit of the age is to use "personal preference" as the guiding standard when it comes to the Bible, as opposed to accepting God's wholly inspired and life-encompassing Word in its entirety. Here is a good quote from the 17th century Puritan Richard Baxter specifically regarding people who enjoy "some" of Jesus' teachings, but spiritually turn away from Him when they read the rest of His uncomfortable but divine oracles. Lets hope this destructive disposition does not consume the church as a whole.

"At first many come to Christ with wonder, and will needs be His servants for something in it that seemeth fine; till they hear that the Son of Man hath not the accommodation of the birds or foxes; and that his doctrine and way hath an enmity to their worldly, fleshly interest, and then they are gone. They first entertained Christ in compliment, thinking that He would please them, or not much contradict them; but when they find that they have received a guest that will rule them, and not be ruled by them, that will not suffer them to take their pleasure, nor enjoy their riches, but hold them to a life which they cannot endure, and even undo them in the world, He is then no longer a guest for them.
Whereas if Christ had been received as Christ, and truth and godliness deliberately entertained for their well-discerned excellency and necessity, the deep rooting would have prevented this apostasy, and cured such hypocrisy."
- Richard Baxter, A Christian Directory, Chapter 2, pg 37

"After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. So Jesus said to the Twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?" Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."
- John 6:66-68

J

Jullianna

A good read. Thank you. :)

It's not an easy road. We have to count the cost.

Mark 8:34-35 (NIV) Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

Luke 14: 25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’
31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”

Colossians 2: 20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules

Attachments

grace

Sep 8, 2006
I commented on this on your FB. I will just repeat one part......you are being encouraging here...not in the way that you want to be, but you are. :) Love Ya!

J

Jullianna

Thanks, Grace. I think I need a forum break. The joystealers have some pretty big bats. :)

Off to walk in the garden with my Lord for a bit. Be back later. :)