Home Remedies for a cough?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hellooo

So, I got a cold last week, and while I've shaken off the fever and the runny nose, I still have a persistant cough. What have you found that works for you?

W

wwjd_kilden

Nothing :p

....but it seems that moist, warm air (warm shower) soothes it slightly, for a short time.
In theory a few drops of peppermint oil in a bowl of hot water (sit with your face above it and a towel over your head) could also help

Honey is anti- bacterial, so warm milk (or tea if you prefer) with honey is an option, though it's mostly for a sore throat

Oct 31, 2011
Hot, strong lemonaide, made with honey to sweeten.

R

RachelBibleStudent

ginger can help with a cough...you can make ginger into a tea...

H

Hellooo

Thanks ladies!!! I got home a little bit ago, just waiting for my tea kettle to whistle :) I'm kind of combining everything....making tea with lemon AND honey....hopefully I can get some relief from this cough.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to rub castor oil on my back, neck, and chest and make me sleep in long sleeves to soothe my coughs...it does help for a few hours, or overnight but can't do that during the day..I don't have any on hand, and it smells pretty strong.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
This one was given to me when my children were small, and it has always worked well to stop the dry itchy cough. :)

Tea, honey and a sprinkle of the spice thyme on top.
You can use your chioce of tea, or sweetener, its the spice thyme that works amazingly. :)

Hugs, feel better soon. :)
God bless
pickles

Oct 31, 2011
Thanks ladies!!! I got home a little bit ago, just waiting for my tea kettle to whistle :) I'm kind of combining everything....making tea with lemon AND honey....hopefully I can get some relief from this cough.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to rub castor oil on my back, neck, and chest and make me sleep in long sleeves to soothe my coughs...it does help for a few hours, or overnight but can't do that during the day..I don't have any on hand, and it smells pretty strong.
Castor oil for a cough, too! I use half castor oil and half olive oil to clean my face, I use it for it's anti bacterial qualities, I use it to soak my feet in and it gets rid of the callouses and toenail fungus, and now, you say for a cough, too! Besides, it is only a little over $2 a bottle. That oil is truly a wonder!

H

Hellooo

Yes, RedTent! It's similar to the vicks vapo rub effect.

Dec 19, 2009
So, I got a cold last week, and while I've shaken off the fever and the runny nose, I still have a persistant cough. What have you found that works for you?
Rest, sufficient food, stay comfortably warm, DON'T SMOKE. If these don't work, see a doctor.

P

prodigaldaughter

I like to use ginger and wrap my throat to keep it warm.

H

Hellooo

Rest, sufficient food, stay comfortably warm, DON'T SMOKE. If these don't work, see a doctor.
I've never been a smoker and the Florida summers keep me pretty warm. :)

I caved and went to see a doctor last week, since this is really interfering with my sleeping and my being able to hold conversations at work. I was a little disappointed..he confirmed that I was over my cold infection and that it's normal for coughs to persist 2-3 weeks after. (Can't believe I paid 85 out of pocket for information that I already knew!) I got a prescription for cough syrup that I've already gone through and it seems like I still can't shake this off.

I like to use ginger and wrap my throat to keep it warm.
I can get some ginger root at the grocery store after work tomorrow, I suppose. I am willing to try anything.

Thanks for all the tips!

Oct 31, 2011

I caved and went to see a doctor last week, since this is really interfering with my sleeping and my being able to hold conversations at work. I was a little disappointed..he confirmed that I was over my cold infection and that it's normal for coughs to persist 2-3 weeks after. (Can't believe I paid 85 out of pocket for information that I already knew!) I got a prescription for cough syrup that I've already gone through and it seems like I still can't shake this off.

I can get some ginger root at the grocery store after work tomorrow, I suppose. I am willing to try anything.

Thanks for all the tips!
Cut the ginger root in little pieces and put in the blender with some pineapple juice to make a drink of it. Add a tiny bit of Vitamin C powder. Sip this very slowly. Drink plenty water between sips. I use a vitamix blender.perhaps others would work.

W

wwjd_kilden

What kind of cough syrup do you use? The kinds with morphine in them tend to be reasonably efficient (but for obvious reasons are bad if you need to i.e. drive ). I don't think there really is a way to get rid of a cough though, annoying as it is.

L

lovelybaby24

Try to chew ginger, it works.

Dec 19, 2009

My guess is exhaustion, but maybe you should see another doctor.

H

Hellooo

Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.

Looks like it might actually be walking pneumonia. I'm going in for the xray this week to confirm/hopefully kick this thing.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hugs Hellooo, I be praying in Jesus for healing for you.

God bless
pickles