Homeschooling

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 25, 2015
So, right now he is REALLY into Diary of a wimpy kid series, and I get it. It's so relatable for this age, BUT because it is the "diary" of a middle school boy, the grammer is VERY POOR and much of the spelling is incorrect.

One of the things I was unhappy about in the public school is that they are teaching the "sound it out" approach to spelling, and reports are typed up then "edited" so the whole process of teacher reading and spell checking is gone. Sure the computer can spell check and instant correct, but there's no learning in that. He made a family newspaper today (mostly because he wanted to make comics based off wimpy kid humor for the comic section :rolleyes::) ) I got to see just how much misspellings he makes, or rather just how much he still "sounds it out"

What are some titles that are considered "classics" now?
I wish that my spelling was without flaws. Man, what a talent to have.

In Afrikaans I am okay and my wife and son will ask me how to spell certain words.

In English I am also okay but worked hard on it the last 10 years because you are communicating in it daily. English is my second language (by far a second language :ROFL::ROFL:) and doesn't come naturally, so I sometimes giggle (at myself) when I read back what I wrote. But it is getting better.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Graphics are popular with all ages
I also read them growing up, though they were not used in school so much.
Garfield comics.

I think people shouldnt compare learning back then with learning today regarding computers and so assume girls and boys arent learning anything.. It would be like saying that everyone should learn to write with a nib and ink instead of a ball point pen.

Get with the times. Computers are just tools. And we need to know how to use them.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The other thing I think people make a huge assumption is 'oh my kid is good, all other parents kids are bad' therefore, my child should be kept away from all other kids who are bad.

That is NOT the case. In schools, most staff make the utmost care to look after each child. Under their watch, all childrens safety is paramount.
Every child has potential to do good or bad things. But teachers enocourage good beahviour, I have never seen a teacher try and make a child do anything BAD.

Someone else made the point it is not in schools were children are doing bad things. It is outside of achool when they are not under adult supervision.