One of the more visible topics in society these days is homosexuality. In the church, one of the big questions being asked is, "Is it right?" That's for another post. The question I want to address is, "Can gays be saved?"
My answer is "Yes." Now, before you form a mob with pitchforks, I want to differentiate between a homosexual orientation and a homosexual behavior. You can't really help your orientation, but you can control your behavior.
The key passages often used to show homosexuality is sin are Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Genesis 19, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:10, and Romans 1:24-28.
Notice that in these passages, homosexual behavior is demonstrated as sinful. Not orientation! Nature, nurture, whatever. I don't believe your inherent sexual orientation is something you choose. I didn't choose to be straight, I just happened to be that way. Can orientation be changed? Maybe, I don't know, as I've not looked into that kind of stuff.
What does this mean for the individual who has same-sex attractions? It means that they would not be condemned for their orientation. Instead, it is behavior that God looks at.
Consider this. I, Shawntc, am a heterosexual male. I naturally have desires for the opposite gender. Is this inherently sinful? Not at all. What makes it sinful is when I use or satisfy these desires inappropriately - lust. That is when I sin. In the same manner, the homosexual doesn't sin simply for having same-sex desires. Such a person sins when they seek to satisfy those desires in a manner God doesn't approve of - through lusting after or doing sexual acts with someone of the same gender. If a person with same-sex attractions abstains from acting upon those desires - like I as a single, straight male am required to - then they commit no sin. The Bible is clear that those who engage in homosexual lifestyles are not saved. But if you're not engaging in the lifestyle (the behaviors), then it does not stop you from being saved.
Thus we see hope for those who have homosexual orientations. For God does not condemn those who have such an orientation, but rather those who engage in the behaviors that are desired by it. If a Christian came to me and admitted to having same-sex attractions, but demonstrated sincere repentance of it, then it would be amiss of me or anyone else to look down upon that person.
My answer is "Yes." Now, before you form a mob with pitchforks, I want to differentiate between a homosexual orientation and a homosexual behavior. You can't really help your orientation, but you can control your behavior.
The key passages often used to show homosexuality is sin are Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Genesis 19, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:10, and Romans 1:24-28.
Notice that in these passages, homosexual behavior is demonstrated as sinful. Not orientation! Nature, nurture, whatever. I don't believe your inherent sexual orientation is something you choose. I didn't choose to be straight, I just happened to be that way. Can orientation be changed? Maybe, I don't know, as I've not looked into that kind of stuff.
What does this mean for the individual who has same-sex attractions? It means that they would not be condemned for their orientation. Instead, it is behavior that God looks at.
Consider this. I, Shawntc, am a heterosexual male. I naturally have desires for the opposite gender. Is this inherently sinful? Not at all. What makes it sinful is when I use or satisfy these desires inappropriately - lust. That is when I sin. In the same manner, the homosexual doesn't sin simply for having same-sex desires. Such a person sins when they seek to satisfy those desires in a manner God doesn't approve of - through lusting after or doing sexual acts with someone of the same gender. If a person with same-sex attractions abstains from acting upon those desires - like I as a single, straight male am required to - then they commit no sin. The Bible is clear that those who engage in homosexual lifestyles are not saved. But if you're not engaging in the lifestyle (the behaviors), then it does not stop you from being saved.
Thus we see hope for those who have homosexual orientations. For God does not condemn those who have such an orientation, but rather those who engage in the behaviors that are desired by it. If a Christian came to me and admitted to having same-sex attractions, but demonstrated sincere repentance of it, then it would be amiss of me or anyone else to look down upon that person.