How can we know for certain...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 23, 2017
Read up on William Tyndale. He was fluent in 7 languages, Greek being one of them. Erasmus translated the Vulgate into Greek. Now, what Erasmus had were not mss(thanks bunches trof), but the Vulgate. Tyndale then took those texts of Erasmus' and translated them into English. Then later the KJV translators used Erasmus', Beza's, and Tyndale's(I think) to translate the word of God into the KJV.
so it went from latin to greek to english. yeah im definately off this titanic kjvonly bandwagon.

abandon ship folks. its over.

i love the kjv still but i'll definately get that NASB now that i heard james white was in the translating commitee. its important to have saved folks translating it. the english is more modern too

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
i like james white u can read my earlier post. there is no tellin how high his IQ is. the man is a genius. i doubt i could hold a conversation with him for long over a cup of coffee tho

why is the kjv so popular then if its not even based on any manuscripts but just eramus's printed editions of textus receptus? last time i checked erasmus was a catholic.
there goes that argument out the window that the new versions are catholic.

yeah this is a swamp of error for sure. i wonder if james white has translated anything himself. he reads greek
Thats probably a question for some KJV/TR only guys...

I also see no logic in their arguments.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Now, what Erasmus had were not mss(thanks bunches trof), but the Vulgate
I did not say that Erasmus did not have mss... he had few late ones. He wanted to have Vaticanus, but had not.
He made his text compilation (using textual criticism) from them.

The KJV translators (as history says, I was not there) had only printed editions of Erasmus, they did not work directly with manuscripts.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
If we agree that the Textus Receptus primacy is just for few KJV Only guys, we can talk about more serious issue:

Is Byzantine Majority text as used by the Greek speaking church without any interruption more trustworthy than reconstructed Nestlé Aland text?

I am not sure there.

Dec 28, 2016
i gotta try reading that bible, i'll probably buy it once i get healthy. i like it how sam gipp claimed in that james white video that they attack deity of Jesus in the "alexandrian" bibles but nasb has only begotten God in john 1 so its actualy stronger for the deity of Jesus. kkind of funny.

turns out the kjvonly folks got no evidence. im actually surprised myself. the manuscript claim about antioch to textus receptus to kjv is not true. so the entire thing is shaky.

i read what the kjv translators said and they wouldnt be kjvonlyist even. im jumping out of this titanic

how sad. lucky for me i never made a big deal of a bible version when soul-winning. never said a word. its all about the gospel.
I have it in giant print and LOVE it!!

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
The Old Testament is quite a different issue, because here both NIV and the KJV uses the same primary source - masoretic text. So the difference is just their translation.

While in the New Testament, NIV and the KJV uses different sources.

---

To your example: I have no idea what the KJV reading is saying there...
Think rapture! And, You'd be thinking correctly.

Dec 28, 2016
I did not say that Erasmus did not have mss... he had few late ones. He wanted to have Vaticanus, but had not.
He made his text compilation (using textual criticism) from them.

The KJV translators (as history says, I was not there) had only printed editions of Erasmus, they did not work directly with manuscripts.
Did he have the Sinaiticus? Thanks for the clarification. I am learning on the fly here. Anything i say that is false, please correct me.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
As you can easily see, I am a work in progress. Thanks bunches, my Brother.
Its OK, I am quite sure that even the KJV Only guys think that Erasmus had all what we have and just selectively rejected the "corrupted" manuscripts.

Erasmus was a textual critic. If he had the same sources we have today, his Textus Receptus would look differently, I think.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Erasmus had 6-12 manuscripts.

His text had even some verses in Revelation translated from Latin, because Erasmus did not have any Greek manuscript with these verses. And with this translation from Latin he created textual variant not present in any Greek manuscript.

This Latin reading is in the KJV till today.

Its noted in 4:00 of video time:

[video=youtube;Eh3k_A9ugOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh3k_A9ugOo[/video]