How can we use the WORD of GOD to divide what is soul and what is spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)
[SUP]12 [/SUP]For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Over the centuries Pastors, Teachers, and perhaps even the Apostles, seemed to use the two words soul and spirit interchangably. YET, we have the verse above that says it is possible to divide soul and spirit using the Word of GOD. A while back, the LORD gave me a deeper understanding of a verse that appears to make that division totally possible.

Luke 12:19 (NKJV)
[SUP]19 [/SUP]And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry."

Here we find Jesus referring to Mental Rationalization, as a process of the soul or the mind of a man. Would you not agree then that:

soul = the mind, thoughts, memories, mental reasoning, personality, emotions, feelings, pysche, cognative abilities, etc. the sum total of which makes up what is called soul.

AND

spirit = the part of man that departs the body the moment we die. and for the believer the spirit goes to be with the LORD, while for the unbeliever it departs to go to Hades.

Philippians 1:21-24 (NKJV)
[SUP]21 [/SUP]For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. {not loss}
[SUP]22 [/SUP]But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.
[SUP]23 [/SUP]For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to
departand be with Christ, which is far better.
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.

2 Corinthians 5:6-9 (NKJV)
[SUP]6 [/SUP]So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For we walk by faith, not by sight.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
[SUP]9 [/SUP]Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him.

Luke 16:22-24 (NKJV)
[SUP]22 [/SUP]So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
[SUP]23 [/SUP]And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'

Notice what the Greek word for Soul actually is:

Soul
Usage Number: 1
Strong's Number: <G5590>
Original Word: ψυχή, psychē

Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old Testament and New Testament Words.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
the triune man, made in the image of the Triune God.......(and some will disagree with both.....just saying)

Oct 14, 2013
[h=2]Man's triunity[/h]Man, as created by God, and living on earth in mortal flesh, is a triune being, composed of “spirit and soul and body” (1 Thess. 5:23 ). These three parts constitute the man. He may be, and is, in the language of Scripture, identified with either, according to the line of truth being revealed. He usually is so with the “body” when his relation to others is in view, and with the “soul and spirit” when his attitude toward God is under consideration. It is the possession of spirit which makes man a moral and accountable being, fitted for acquaintance and intercourse with God, and which links him, in his hopes or fears, with a life and a world beyond the present.

Oct 14, 2013
[h=2]The body of man[/h]“The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul.” There was first the figure of clay, formed of the dust, concerning which it is written—“Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return” (Gen. 3:19). Into this lifeless form, God inbreathed “the breath of life.

Oct 14, 2013
[h=2]The soul of man[/h]
It is the intermediate link between spirit and body, and the life of the latter. To it are ascribed the functions of loving (1 Sam.18:1), hating (2 Sam. 5:8), desiring (Job 23:13 ), longing (Ps. 84:2). Affections, appetites, desires belong to the soul. The soul is said to be the seat or spring of sin—“the sin of the soul” (Mic. 6:7)—for it atonement is said to be made

Oct 14, 2013
The spirit of man which is in him” (1 Cor. 2:11), “formed within him” (Zech. 12:1), a separate entity in each individual, his highest part, linking him with God, who is the “Father of spirits” (Heb. 12:9), and the “God of the spirits of all flesh” (Num. 16:22; 22:16), which is equivalent to saying, of all men (see Gen. 6:12; Luke 3:6), saved and unsaved. This “spirit” which animates and controls the bodily organism is from God Himself, and without it the body is “dead “ (James 2:26 ).

Oct 14, 2013
To the spirit is ascribed the functions of intelligence, understanding, and judgment. It can “know “(1 Cor. 2:11 ), be “stirred” (Acts 17:16 ), be “provoked” (Ps. 106:33), while by it moral and spiritual qualities may be developed, such as a “right spirit” (Ps. 51:10), a “meek and quiet spirit” (1 Pet. 3:4). “My spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour” (Luke 1: 47) tells of its capability of spiritual joy, while the Spirit of God bearing witness “with our spirit” (Rom. 8:16 ) tells of its capability for intercourse with the Divine.

Oct 14, 2013
Man’s Triune Nature 1
Man’s Triune Nature

Man's nature is triune in its make-up. Scripture teaches that he is a "soul," living in a
"body," with the potential of "spirit" communication with God. - (Genesis 2:7)

• Man's body is where his senses dwell!
• Man's soul is where self dwells!
• Man's spirit is where God dwells!

The Old Testament Tabernacle is an example of this. In studying what Scripture teaches
concerning the Tabernacle, one finds a triune character -

(1) the outer court, representing man's "body;"
(2) the holy place, representing man's "soul;" and
(3) the Holy of Holies, representing man's "spirit."

John 4:24 states, "God is a spirit, and His worshipers must worship in spirit and in
truth."

May 15, 2013
Soul is the thing that gives us life and the spirit is what it take in.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Matthew 28:8
So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

Luke 1:41
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Luke 1:53
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.

Luke 2:40
And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was on him.

Luke 15:20
So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

Matthew 12:43 “When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. 44 Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. 45 Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation.”

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Man’s Triune Nature 1
Man’s Triune Nature

Man's nature is triune in its make-up. Scripture teaches that he is a "soul," living in a
"body," with the potential of "spirit" communication with God. - (Genesis 2:7)

• Man's body is where his senses dwell!
• Man's soul is where self dwells!
• Man's spirit is where God dwells!

The Old Testament Tabernacle is an example of this. In studying what Scripture teaches
concerning the Tabernacle, one finds a triune character -

(1) the outer court, representing man's "body;"
(2) the holy place, representing man's "soul;" and
(3) the Holy of Holies, representing man's "spirit."

John 4:24 states, "God is a spirit, and His worshipers must worship in spirit and in
truth."

The human spirit is spiritual dead at the natural birth of the body, because of the inherited sin nature. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NOT FUNCTIONING. It is just not functioning in tune with the will of GOD, thus it is dead to GOD. The moment we believe, the Holy Spirit births eternal life into our human spirit, thus it is eternally alive to GOD.

Ephesians 2:4-5 (NIV)
[SUP]4 [/SUP] But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
[SUP]5 [/SUP] made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved.

John 5:24 (NIV)
[SUP]24 [/SUP] "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Jul 26, 2013
The human spirit is spiritual dead at the natural birth of the body, because of the inherited sin nature. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NOT FUNCTIONING. It is just not functioning in tune with the will of GOD, thus it is dead to GOD. The moment we believe, the Holy Spirit births eternal life into our human spirit, thus it is eternally alive to GOD.

Ephesians 2:4-5 (NIV)
[SUP]4 [/SUP] But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
[SUP]5 [/SUP] made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved.

John 5:24 (NIV)
[SUP]24 [/SUP] "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

If our spirits are dead, then how are we alive? I was once alive apart from the law. I then died to that law, being dead in trespasses. Now I am alive because He raised me from my dead state to seek with my mind, heavenly things.

Jul 26, 2013
You divide by comparing Jesus DIRECT NEW TESTAMENT WORDS TO THE REST OF SCRIPTURE. We are commanded to hear Him! Not Moses or any other man! He came to save all, which is the perfect will of God. They were moved by the Spirit in the past! BUT NOW, we are told He (Spirit) speaks through the Son who is alive forever more!

Whatever does not line up with Him and His words of saving all is dead and buried with Him in the flesh. For it is bread that only breeds worms....

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
If our spirits are dead, then how are we alive? I was once alive apart from the law. I then died to that law, being dead in trespasses. Now I am alive because He raised me from my dead state to seek with my mind, heavenly things.
Colossians 2:13 (NIV)
[SUP]13 [/SUP] When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

Your mind or soul was alive at natural birth, and so was your body. Which part of man then was once DEAD? Oh yes, it was the spirit.

Psalm 66:8-9 (ESV)
[SUP]8 [/SUP] Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard,
[SUP]9 [/SUP] who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip.
1 Corinthians 15:45-46 (ASV)
[SUP]45 [/SUP] So also it is written, The first man Adam became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
[SUP]46 [/SUP] Howbeit that is not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; then that which is spiritual.

John 3:6-7 (HCSB)
[SUP]6 [/SUP] Whatever is born of the flesh is flesh, and whatever is born of the Spirit is spirit.
[SUP]7 [/SUP] Do not be amazed that I told you that you m
ust be born again.

That moment we first genuinely believe, the HOLY SPIRIT put eternal life into our human spirits, and emmerses us into the Spiritual Body of Christ.
1 John 5:11 (HCSB)
[SUP]11 [/SUP] And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

1 Corinthians 12:13 (NKJV)
[SUP]13 [/SUP] For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

SEE, spiritual baptism is not being emmersed into water, but rather immersed into the spiritual body of Christ.

Jul 26, 2013
Colossians 2:13 (NIV)
[SUP]13 [/SUP] When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

Your mind or soul was alive at natural birth, and so was your body. Which part of man then was once DEAD? Oh yes, it was the spirit. Christ lights EVERY MAN that comes into the world. We are only a living soul with the breath of life. Flesh is dead apart from this. Being dead in trespasses means that we are born into vanity, and dead traditions of men who are far off from God, though having forms and shadows of Him.

Psalm 66:8-9 (ESV)
[SUP]8 [/SUP] Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard,
[SUP]9 [/SUP] who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip.
1 Corinthians 15:45-46 (ASV)
[SUP]45 [/SUP] So also it is written, The first man Adam became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
[SUP]46 [/SUP] Howbeit that is not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; then that which is spiritual.

John 3:6-7 (HCSB)
[SUP]6 [/SUP] Whatever is born of the flesh is flesh, and whatever is born of the Spirit is spirit.
[SUP]7 [/SUP] Do not be amazed that I told you that you m
ust be born again.

That moment we first genuinely believe, the HOLY SPIRIT put eternal life into our human spirits, and emmerses us into the Spiritual Body of Christ.
1 John 5:11 (HCSB)
[SUP]11 [/SUP] And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

1 Corinthians 12:13 (NKJV)
[SUP]13 [/SUP] For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

SEE, spiritual baptism is not being emmersed into water, but rather immersed into the spiritual body of Christ.

Then before Christ, how were you living? Being dead in trespasses does not mean we were born with dead spirits.