How do I seek God's face and not his hands?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dawnbreaking

Matthew 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

To seek His face you have to seek HIS WILL, when you lay down your own and accept His you will learn and grow in leaps and bounds. He already knows what we need and more than able to suply.

The Lord bless and keep you !!!!
Dawnbreaking (Theresa)

S

sunshine_debbie

I dont know the answer, but when you find out, let me know. I too want to just love God and appreciate him. I have asked him for so many things. I feel like a child with I want, I want, I need, instead of thank you, thank you for letting my have eternal life, for letting me breathe.

SO when you do figure it out. Please, let me know.

Debbie

May 4, 2009
I dont know the answer, but when you find out, let me know. I too want to just love God and appreciate him. I have asked him for so many things. I feel like a child with I want, I want, I need, instead of thank you, thank you for letting my have eternal life, for letting me breathe.

SO when you do figure it out. Please, let me know.

Debbie
Well you explained better than I ever could describe myself...

G

greatkraw

Dot, it is good that you worry about the fact that you worry about worrying

but

I really think you should not worry about it:)

G

greatkraw

Matthew 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

To seek His face you have to seek HIS WILL, when you lay down your own and accept His you will learn and grow in leaps and bounds. He already knows what we need and more than able to suply.

The Lord bless and keep you !!!!
Dawnbreaking (Theresa)
Great post theresa

F

Fern

dothack- I have ocd- technically, though I barely feel it's presence anymore. In what way do you mean that it interferes with God's word? I'd like to give advise, if I can, if my experience might help. I'm saying a lot here, and some of it is less related to the topic, because I'm not sure if any part of it can help. For me, I used to check everything, and i'd have repeating thoughts (often, prayers) that would annoy me.

In regards to the checking, there was always the "what if," and I had to do everything 3 times to make sure things were safe. But God is my strength. If the "what if even though I locked the door, it's not really locked?" starts, I ignore it because I know that even if the door isn't locked, God can protect me, and if something happens to me, I'm still in God's hands, and not a prisoner of fear. I kind-of decided one day, that fear was my biggest fear, and that has helped me- even way beyond the OCD, to go after my dreams.

In regards to the repeating prayers, I let it gain so much control when I didn't know what was going on, and because prayer for others isn't bad, I couldn't trust that to push it away was okay; I was afraid it might mean I was pushing away God, or failing to help others. But then I realized that God is in control whether I pray or not, that He understands what I'm dealing with, and that he isn't the author of such slavery. I understood that he was freeing me to the point where if I stopped praying for others completely for a time, it would not result in their demise. God could always put it on someone else's heart to pray, or God could help without prayer. And over time, that is mostly gone- it may start-up a bit when I'm stressed-out, but I push it away fast, and trust God to help, and it subsides.

If you have a thought, and it's not repetitive in nature, I don't think it's OCD, but whatever is telling you that you can't trust the idea because of OCD may be your fear of it, or may be satan's way of making you insecure. If what you think might be God seems to be backed by scripture, then it really might be God. Look at whether it seems like sound advise. That way, whether it is him or not, if it is sound, it is good. You can tell him, "I'm not sure if it's you. I think it is, so I'm acting upon it. But if I'm wrong, I'm still listening. Let me know." Like the story of Baalaam (I think), where God blocked him by stopping his donkey, and then sending an angel to block his path, God can interfere if you make the wrong choice. OCD and other anxiety disorders can paralyze a person, but we have to move in life. We must trust that God can interfere if we hear him wrong. So if I am asking Him what to do in life or some other non-Biblical question, and I get an answer, but am not sure whether it's him, or not, I ask him, and trust him to interfere if need-be. Even here, I don't like the idea of so many people who don't know me reading this, and assuming I'm weird (people who do know me may think I'm weird, but in a good way). But I think it can help, and God can always prevent it from being sent, or add/delete a line, or whatever if he chooses. So I'm doing what I prayerfully think is good, and trusting with the rest.
As far as wanting a real relationship with him, keep praying, keep reading his word (seek out verses that point to God's faithfulness and power to be there for you, and in your prayers, mention the pieces of scripture that reassure you, ie: "i know you did this for/ said this to ____, this is what I'm asking from you"), keep noticing the beauty and wonder of God's creation, keep thanking him, and keep asking him for a close relationship, and it WILL come. It did with me; I'm not sure when I lost that relationship, or when it came back, or if it really ever was gone- though I was sure at the time, that it was, so it must have been. But I knew from scripture, that God hadn't left. It was just the loss of that feeling of closeness. But it is back. Maybe God was testing my dedication. Maybe I was wrong all along. I don't know. But if you stay true, it will come, and you will be stronger for it.

G

greatkraw

dothack- I have ocd- technically, though I barely feel it's presence anymore. In what way do you mean that it interferes with God's word? I'd like to give advise, if I can, if my experience might help. I'm saying a lot here, and some of it is less related to the topic, because I'm not sure if any part of it can help. For me, I used to check everything, and i'd have repeating thoughts (often, prayers) that would annoy me.

In regards to the checking, there was always the "what if," and I had to do everything 3 times to make sure things were safe. But God is my strength. If the "what if even though I locked the door, it's not really locked?" starts, I ignore it because I know that even if the door isn't locked, God can protect me, and if something happens to me, I'm still in God's hands, and not a prisoner of fear. I kind-of decided one day, that fear was my biggest fear, and that has helped me- even way beyond the OCD, to go after my dreams.

In regards to the repeating prayers, I let it gain so much control when I didn't know what was going on, and because prayer for others isn't bad, I couldn't trust that to push it away was okay; I was afraid it might mean I was pushing away God, or failing to help others. But then I realized that God is in control whether I pray or not, that He understands what I'm dealing with, and that he isn't the author of such slavery. I understood that he was freeing me to the point where if I stopped praying for others completely for a time, it would not result in their demise. God could always put it on someone else's heart to pray, or God could help without prayer. And over time, that is mostly gone- it may start-up a bit when I'm stressed-out, but I push it away fast, and trust God to help, and it subsides.

If you have a thought, and it's not repetitive in nature, I don't think it's OCD, but whatever is telling you that you can't trust the idea because of OCD may be your fear of it, or may be satan's way of making you insecure. If what you think might be God seems to be backed by scripture, then it really might be God. Look at whether it seems like sound advise. That way, whether it is him or not, if it is sound, it is good. You can tell him, "I'm not sure if it's you. I think it is, so I'm acting upon it. But if I'm wrong, I'm still listening. Let me know." Like the story of Baalaam (I think), where God blocked him by stopping his donkey, and then sending an angel to block his path, God can interfere if you make the wrong choice. OCD and other anxiety disorders can paralyze a person, but we have to move in life. We must trust that God can interfere if we hear him wrong. So if I am asking Him what to do in life or some other non-Biblical question, and I get an answer, but am not sure whether it's him, or not, I ask him, and trust him to interfere if need-be. Even here, I don't like the idea of so many people who don't know me reading this, and assuming I'm weird (people who do know me may think I'm weird, but in a good way). But I think it can help, and God can always prevent it from being sent, or add/delete a line, or whatever if he chooses. So I'm doing what I prayerfully think is good, and trusting with the rest.
As far as wanting a real relationship with him, keep praying, keep reading his word (seek out verses that point to God's faithfulness and power to be there for you, and in your prayers, mention the pieces of scripture that reassure you, ie: "i know you did this for/ said this to ____, this is what I'm asking from you"), keep noticing the beauty and wonder of God's creation, keep thanking him, and keep asking him for a close relationship, and it WILL come. It did with me; I'm not sure when I lost that relationship, or when it came back, or if it really ever was gone- though I was sure at the time, that it was, so it must have been. But I knew from scripture, that God hadn't left. It was just the loss of that feeling of closeness. But it is back. Maybe God was testing my dedication. Maybe I was wrong all along. I don't know. But if you stay true, it will come, and you will be stronger for it.
thank you for this post

C

charisenexcelcis

Thank you for your brave post.

S

silverwind

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you 'do not fear, I will help you'. Isaiah 41:13 (*looks at your thread title*) :D

Dec 19, 2009
That's part of the problem. I have to try to figure out what's me, my ocd, and when it's God talking to me when I thinking about something. What's harder is that all 3 of them sounds like my own mind thinking of it.

I think I figured it out. I need a revalation from God on how awesome he and how much of a sinner I am... Please pray that I get one....
Dot, I don’t think it’s up to you to decide that you need a revelation from the Lord. If he wants to give you one, he will, and you can ask him for one.

Maybe what you need to do is strengthen your faith. Perhaps you worry too much. Actually, I don’t think we are supposed to worry at all. We are supposed to trust the Lord in all things, aren’t we?

C

ChristsArmorBearer

whole hearted pursuit, hold nothing back, lay everything thing down at the foot of the cross! Wouldn't it be great if we all could do that?

May 4, 2009
yeah, the problem is for some reason it this type of thing is going so hard for me. Why does it seem to be so easy for everyone else to get closer to God?

C

ChristsArmorBearer

yeah, the problem is for some reason it this type of thing is going so hard for me. Why does it seem to be so easy for everyone else to get closer to God?
Bro, believe me, it's not easy at all. In fact it is a lifetime pursuit but I promise you, as you grow closer to the Lord the clearer your understanding will be that the struggle is well worth it because God is the only thing in this life worth pursuing!

May 4, 2009
So am I still growing even though it doesn't feel like it?

I'm going to chruch 2 times a week.
I goto a Bible Study on Saturdays(Which has a good 2-3 hours of Biblical Study per session);
I try to talk when I can, though lately it seems like it's mostly about what I want which is part of the reason for the topic.
I read the Bible at least 2 pages a day.

I also try to, but don't always do it...

I listen to one of keith moore's sermons(1 a day) while I"m doing homework or just work(Just haven't had the chance lately since I've been out looking for a job lately.
I try to set aside a half hour a day just to talk to God and/or read the Bible on days that I don't have chruch or goto the Bible Study.

S

sunshine_debbie

I think easy would not be the word I would use. Being close to God, just is. Its an experience, not a FEELING. Feelings with people who have any type of mental illness are not to be trusted so easily (This one I know from experience). When they way gets hard, and the path gets rough, read the Bible, pray, and then do it again, and again, and again. This is all I know to do. But it isnt bad advice, only a suggestion.

Debbie

C

ChristsArmorBearer

So am I still growing even though it doesn't feel like it?

I'm going to chruch 2 times a week.
I goto a Bible Study on Saturdays(Which has a good 2-3 hours of Biblical Study per session);
I try to talk when I can, though lately it seems like it's mostly about what I want which is part of the reason for the topic.
I read the Bible at least 2 pages a day.

I also try to, but don't always do it...

I listen to one of keith moore's sermons(1 a day) while I"m doing homework or just work(Just haven't had the chance lately since I've been out looking for a job lately.
I try to set aside a half hour a day just to talk to God and/or read the Bible on days that I don't have chruch or goto the Bible Study.
That's alot and that's good because "we are saved by grace through faith" and "faith grows by hearing the word of God". Your heart seems to be in a good place but sometimes it just takes time, time to soak things in or time to simply begin to appreciate what the Lord has put before you.

I encourage you to keep moving forward. You will grow just keep in mind that it is process, one that will not be completed until we die or we meet the Lord i the air, whichever comes first.

May 4, 2009
And I'm glad we aren't saved by works or I'd be screwed. lol

A

Ash_JFF

And I'm glad we aren't saved by works or I'd be screwed. lol

dido that. We all would be screwed!

You know that is a good starting point to growing in your relationship with God. Thank Him for Jesus and what he did for you on the cross. Thank Him for His amazing love that He didn't destroy us but instead saved us and made us His children and co-heir with Christ! Amazing that God would cleanse us of our sins when it would have just been easier to just say, "Start Over" and the whole universe disappears!:eek:

May 4, 2009
Or just start thanking him that he doesn't hate us all like Zeus from Greek Mythology. Or this one God from this video game I played(Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga part 2 if anyone is curious.) where that god gave up on everyone in that version of Earth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.