How do we compare to angels?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
So I was curious about how we compare to angels: we are children of God, given the gift of salvation and able to free come before him with no shame. We mess up and we are forgiven, but what if they mess up? I heard from somewhere we get endless chances if we mess up and are forgiven if we repent, but if angels go against God even once that is it.
I don't know if that is true or not but we are God's children because he created us with his own hands, but did he not also create angels?

Jan 19, 2013
So I was curious about how we compare to angels: we are children of God, given the gift of salvation and able to free come before him with no shame. We mess up and we are forgiven, but
what if they mess up? I heard from somewhere we get endless chances if we mess up and are forgiven if we repent, but
if angels go against God even once that is it.
I don't know if that is true or not but we are God's children because he created us with his own hands, but did he not also create angels?
As Adam was put on a trial of obedience in the garden, so angels were put on a trial of obedience in heaven.

The result of these two trials was immutability: those who chose rebellion were made immutable in rebellion, those who chose obedience were made immutable in obedience.

Because of Adam's choice of rebellion, all mankind is born fixed with a sinful nature and rebellious enemies of God (Ro 5:10; Eph 2:3).
Because of Michael's and his hosts choice of obedience, they are fixed and secure in loving obedience, and do not have to fear "messing up."
Because of Satan's and his hosts choice of rebellion, they are fixed in rebellion.

Yes, the angels were put on trial once, and that was it.
There are no more chances to either rebel or repent.

R

reject-tech

Angel is an abstract, not a just some spirit creature, and a man can be an angel, his words can be an angel, his actions can be an angel.
When Jesus sends His angel, I don't think He's turning to a ghostly spirit creature and saying "go tell them this", I think He's projecting His message from whatever "heaven" place He is in, in whatever fashion He means to, whether it's a vision, a dream, a different understanding within the target person as they read the bible, a grasshopper jumping on your shirt, and so on.
John was told to write to angels, and physical men on earth are the only ones that need to read those writings, cause a traditionally defined angel would already know them I suppose.

So what I'm saying is, to personify them is ok, but I think they are much more powerful, complicated, and loosely defined than that.

Not a "sentience" but rather a "conveyance of sentience"

R

Relena7

So I was curious about how we compare to angels: we are children of God, given the gift of salvation and able to free come before him with no shame. We mess up and we are forgiven, but what if they mess up? I heard from somewhere we get endless chances if we mess up and are forgiven if we repent, but if angels go against God even once that is it.
That may be because angels know better. Humans do not. If the angels choose to do wrong, it counts as a lot worse than if humans make the same mistake in our ignorance. So if what you heard is true, it makes sense. Our lifespans are so much shorter. We're like babies compared to angels.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I don't think we can be compared to angels..........or should we do so.......yes God created us and He created angels, but we an they are two distinctly different creations, and created for different purposes...........in my opinion. Based on that, I do not try to compare myself (or any other human being) to an angel..........

:)

D

danschance

I don't believe it is one sin and the angels are out. Satan did not orchastrate a rebelliion out of thin air. This means he first harbored rebillion in his heart and then spoke to the rest of the angels to get them on his side and finally he had to make some concrete plans to expell God from Heaven.

That is a list of sin.
Pride, thinking about a rebellion, each angel he spoke to about the rebellion was a seperate sin. When they finally put their plan in action, then--finally they were cast out.

Oct 14, 2013
Do you think we can sin again in God kingdom that should answer you question

Jan 19, 2013
I don't believe it is one sin and the angels are out. Satan did not orchastrate a rebelliion out of thin air. This means he first harbored rebillion in his heart and then spoke to the rest of the angels to get them on his side and finally he had to make some concrete plans to expell God from Heaven.

That is a list of sin.
Pride, thinking about a rebellion, each angel he spoke to about the rebellion was a seperate sin. When they finally put their plan in action, then--finally they were cast out.
Your point?

The event was rebellion, and all that it involved, for both Satan and Adam.

Sep 10, 2013

That is a list of sin.
Satan knew exactly what he was doing, he was openly against God and fully aware of his sin as well as the other angels that followed him. Eve, on the other hand, she has been deceived by the dialectic discours of the snake; he has put the seed of doubt into her heart "did God really say not to eat the fruit?". Eve told the snake what Adam told her, because Adam was given the interdiction directly from God, not Eve. She then gave Adam to eat the fruit that was beautiful, good at taste and gave knowledge...Adam should have refused to eat because there was no doubt for him that God clearly forbade from eating the fruit but still, he also felt under the seduction of the forbidden fruit, especially when he saw that appareantly nothing has happened to Eve after she ate.
The reason why God gave them a second chance, but not Satan, is because they weren`t fully awear of what they were doing, humans don`t have the same knowledge that angels have.

Drett

Feb 16, 2013
Man has a chance to be higher than an angel or lower than an animal.

K

Kerry

Do you not know that we shall judge angels?

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
Do you not know that we shall judge angels?
Isn't it interesting how even in considering our relationship with angels that God's pattern of government is still seen:

- Whoever is great must be servant (Matthew 20:26)

- The greater shall serve the lesser (Genesis 25:23)

- The first shall be last and last shall be first (Matthew 20:16)

...Hebrews 1:14 records that Angels are "ministering spirits sent to serve those [of us] who will inherit salvation". That is their habitation; their role. Yet man is lower than the angels (Psalm 8:4-5). Unfortunately (for them) some angels didn't like their habitation.

N

nathan3

Dose this minister more questions then it resolves ?

Q

Quickfire

I have often thought about this myself.

My feelings get so mixed up on this one, for quite a few reasons.

I think about scriptures like angels taking up the form of humans and i wonder if thats only a few select angels that have that power and authority.

I wonder whether some angels have fallen since the the big fall that changed everything ? "if they have i can only see it as they have intervened when they shouldnt have, "maybe not i carnt be sure but i can only imagine that the big fall was like the flood in simalar aspects and the fallen are not allowed to return because in heaven you see the might and the light you knows its true but yet you still choose to rebel. where else is there to go after heaven after you know the truth after you feal the love god can not allow his good servants or angels to be corrupted i feal.. however i do feal that there may be some case where by angels have fallen not to serve lucifer but maybe to intervene in something bad that has taken place on earth between a good person and a bad person, and i wonder if there is some place for these angels who have ? maybe some sort place there held who knows, but men have murderd and have gone to heaven but the diffrence is they commited there sins in the flesh . its a diffacult one, the spirit dwells in the heart [h=3]2 Corinthians 1:22[/h]Good News Translation (GNT)

[SUP]22 [/SUP]who has placed his mark of ownership upon us, and who has given us the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the guarantee of all that he has in store for us.

[h=3]1 Corinthians 3:16-17[/h]Good News Translation (GNT)

[SUP]16 [/SUP]Surely you know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you! [SUP]17 [/SUP]God will destroy anyone who destroys God's temple. For God's temple is holy, and you yourselves are his temple.

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
Simply - God has extended mercy to humanity because we are Abraham's offspring, and He made a promise to Abraham. God has fulfilled this promise through Christ, who was God and man. It is God's own mercy and will that has given us a grace and status above the angels, although certainly in substance we should be less!

Hebrews 1 and 2 speaks extensively on this. I will post chapter 2 in entirety, because it is well worth reading, but read 1 as well! Actually, read the whole darn book :p (I've highlighted everytime angels pop up, to see the writer's discussion of the topic more clearly.

Hebrews 2 said:
We must, therefore, pay even more attention to what we have heard, so that we will not drift away. For if the message spoken through angels was legally binding and every transgression and disobedience received a just punishment, how will we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was first spoken by the Lord and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him. At the same time, God also testified by signs and wonders, various miracles, and distributions of gifts from the Holy Spirit according to His will.

For He has not subjected to angels the world to come that we are talking about. But one has somewhere testified:

What is man that You remember him,
or the son of man that You care for him?
You made him lower than the angels
for a short time;
You crowned him with glory and honor
and subjected everything under his feet.​

For in subjecting everything to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. As it is, we do not yet see everything subjected to him. But we do see Jesus—made lower than the angels for a short time so that by God’s grace He might taste death for everyone—crowned with glory and honor because of His suffering in death.

For in bringing many sons to glory, it was entirely appropriate that God—all things exist for Him and through Him—should make the source of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For the One who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father.That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers, saying:

I will proclaim Your name to My brothers;
I will sing hymns to You in the congregation.​

Again, I will trust in Him. And again, Here I am with thechildren God gave Me.

Now since the children have flesh and blood in common, Jesus also shared in these, so that through His death He might destroy the one holding the power of death—that is, the Devil— and free those who were held in slavery all their lives by the fear of death.For it is clear that He does not reach out to help angels, but to help Abraham’s offspring. Therefore, He had to be like His brothers in every way, so that He could become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tested and has suffered, He is able to help those who are tested.

Q

Quickfire

I think in comparrisen thé bible describes is angels as messengers, in that sensé i feal there is likeness as you can speak gods Word to Be à good messenger to. Me personaly feal though feal there has to Be some rôle for people in heaven ,, i carnt just see them sitting around twiddling there thumbs