How do we know God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 2, 2010
We either know God directly or through a mediator.
-If we claim to know God directly, then what do we do when two people making this claim come to conflicting conclusions about God’s character or will? How is the dispute resolved? Generally through a mediator.

Mediators
-Christ
-Spirit
-Scripture
-Ecclesiastical tradition
-Apostolic authority

We either know Christ directly or through a mediator.
-If we claim to know Christ directly, then what do we do when two people making this claim come to conflicting conclusions about Christ’s character or will? How is the dispute resolved? Generally through a mediator.

Mediators
-Spirit
-Scripture
-Apostolic authority

We either know the Spirit directly or through a mediator.
-If we claim to know Spirit directly, then what do we do when two people making this claim come to conflicting conclusions about Spirit’s character or will? How is the dispute resolved? Generally through a mediator.

Mediators
-Scripture
-Apostolic authority

We either know the scriptures directly or through a mediator.
-If we claim to know scripture directly, then what do we do when two people make conflicting claims about what is and is not scripture, or what scripture means? How is the dispute resolved? Generally through a mediator.

Mediators
-Apostolic authority

We either know ecclesiastical tradition directly or through a mediator.
-If there are conflicting ecclesiastical traditions, how is the dispute resolved? Generally through a mediator.

Mediator
-Apostolic authority

We either know apostolic authority directly or through a mediator.
-If conflicting claims about apostolic authority are made, or if conflicting claims about the content of the apostle’s teaching are made, how is the dispute resolved? Generally through a mediator.

Mediators:
-God
-Christ
-Spirit
-Scripture

Scripture, ecclesiastical tradition, and Apostolic authority are not independent authorities from which to draw conclusions about God or His will. They are supplemental materials for the communal life of His body in living relationship directly to God and His son Jesus Christ. They are not flawless sources, infallible or inerrant- the goal of one’s relationship with God is not flawless knowledge, but perfect union with God.
(NOTE: God's words are infallible and inerrant, but scripture is not necessarily the same thing as God's words)

Feb 16, 2011
We know God through the Scriptures. We know God through His promises in the Scriptures. We know God by His work in us because we are born again. We know God because the Spirit of God is in us and testifys to God and His Word.

Feb 17, 2010
Destinct it is way simpler than that... If two people come to me and say... I know God, or God is good, then I proof their spirit like Jesus says I should... 1 John 4... and if that person only say the words God is good and he cannot porove it with his life, then HE IS A LIER! How does he prove it, he shows the fruits of the Spirit!

Many say LORD LORD, but He does not know them, and they do not know HIM. As easy as that! they FOOL many, but their actions show me they are liers! And there is no truth in them. Oh and they might even know the scripture well, but they are master TWISTERS like even in Paul's time. People that has a appearance of godliness but forsaked the POWER there-of! Keep away from such, as I am doing from hence on!

Just compare them to Jesus, if they come short, God needs to help them. EVERY Spirit that CONFESS that Jesus has come in the flesh, THEY ARE FROM GOD! How do flesh confess Jesus is in that flesh? With fruits Jesus showed! Not with a mouth that walks around sayng...LORD LORD...

Mar 2, 2010
Destinct it is way simpler than that... If two people come to me and say... I know God, or God is good, then I proof their spirit like Jesus says I should... 1 John 4... and if that person only say the words God is good and he cannot porove it with his life, then HE IS A LIER! How does he prove it, he shows the fruits of the Spirit!

Many say LORD LORD, but He does not know them, and they do not know HIM. As easy as that! they FOOL many, but their actions show me they are liers! And there is no truth in them. Oh and they might even know the scripture well, but they are master TWISTERS like even in Paul's time. People that has a appearance of godliness but forsaked the POWER there-of! Keep away from such, as I am doing from hence on!

Just compare them to Jesus, if they come short, God needs to help them. EVERY Spirit that CONFESS that Jesus has come in the flesh, THEY ARE FROM GOD! How do flesh confess Jesus is in that flesh? With fruits Jesus showed! Not with a mouth that walks around sayng...LORD LORD...
And if two godly people genuinely believe that God has revealed to them His will for something, say whether a local church should continue to function separately despite dwindling numbers and financial insolvency, or whether it should merge with another local church for its long term health- when the character of those who believe they understand God's will is not in question- then what?
Another example: What if you know of someone who is in a very difficult marriage and their spouse has been found to be cheating on them- two godly people come to offer advice that they say God has put on their hearts: the first says that God wants the faithful spouse to persevere- reconciliation is soon to come. The second says that God has put it on their heart to tell the faithful spouse that they are free to divorce, and that God will bless them in the future with a faithful companion. In this case the character of the two people is not sufficient to decide who is "right", and what both of them said is biblical, so...?

zone

Jun 13, 2010
And if two godly people genuinely believe that God has revealed to them His will for something, say whether a local church should continue to function separately despite dwindling numbers and financial insolvency, or whether it should merge with another local church for its long term health- when the character of those who believe they understand God's will is not in question- then what?
Another example: What if you know of someone who is in a very difficult marriage and their spouse has been found to be cheating on them- two godly people come to offer advice that they say God has put on their hearts: the first says that God wants the faithful spouse to persevere- reconciliation is soon to come. The second says that God has put it on their heart to tell the faithful spouse that they are free to divorce, and that God will bless them in the future with a faithful companion. In this case the character of the two people is not sufficient to decide who is "right", and what both of them said is biblical, so...?
doesn't that then fall into the realm of christian liberty distinctive?
the person in the dilemma makes the best decision they can and knows that God makes all things work for their good?