How do we know we've received the Holy Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NazariteNation

re: apostolic you might be thinking of Edward Irving who was a presbyterian in his attempt to bring prebyterians into charismatic renewal and the catholic apostolic church, there's various apostolic churches around the only difference between them and other churches is that they just call the pastor a "apostle" or something like that but the function or role seems to be the same as any old pastor. The real apostles today if there are any would be the ones planting churches - the native missionaries in India, Nepal etc for example.
Agreed Mahogany. IPHC actually operates under the Apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor, teacher hiearchy. Basically the apostle serves as a bishop over a large number of churches. We have prophets and evangelists who not only have the gift in question but have also been a part of the conference for many many years and are considered to be very trustworthy. Pastors and teachers of course exist on a local level.

N

NazariteNation

Pentecostals also usually associate the pentecostal movement with the last days, i.e. God's plan to somehow restore the five-fold ministry of the early church in preparation for Christ's return. There's all sorts of other little beliefs and movements like dominionism or kingdom now teachings. Then you have your old word-faith movements, prosperity doctrines etc mixed in, none of which I believe are right.
I'm not particularly fond of the word of faith or prosperity movements. I do believe that Kingdom theology (in purest form) is relevant for today seeing as it focuses on the life of Jesus Christ and how we should live by His example however, I don't believe those that are trying to push replacement theology along with it.

N

NazariteNation

Not a problem, but anyone who thinks that most Baptists and Methodists are tolerant of sin or take grace for granted, I suspect are misunderstanding their theology and how they are altogether. You say Pentecostals don't sin because of fear of God. Baptists would say you might as well be under the Law then because we don't sin because of love not fear. And if anyone doesn't love God enough to stop sinning then they are not saved in the first place. God wants people to come to Him out of fear and respect but of love also. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. But people who feared and then tried to keep the law were not made better people because of it. Is someone not a thief because he's afraid to steal and get caught? What if no one was looking? God wants people following Him and not sinning because they love Him and delight in Him. Being saved means freedom from the fear of hell and condemnation and a new life that I can dedicate to the Lord. It does not mean I can then go on sinning. I just see it as a matter of point of view. From God's who knows the end from the beginning..those who will persevere are the elect who will inherit the Kingdom. From mans point of view you better stay in the faith and stop sinning. This is how I see Eternal Security, but we're not hear to debate that and I don't follow Calvinism or any extreme form of that idea that would do away with human free-will. I do think people can give salvation away, but not lose it. Anyway, a person can hardly lump millions of people together in a denomination and then judge them like that on how seriously they take sin. It's not like anyone but God knows them ALL personally. Unfortunately a lot of Baptists and Methodists will say things about your denomination and Pentecostalism like that too. Things such as "those people are caught up in emotionalism and don't know the Bible! They put experience over the Word of God!" Now does that sound like an accurate depiction of YOU? I'm sure it's not my friend since I know good Christians from various denominations, including charismatics. They take the Bible very seriously. Baptists also take sin very seriously. And if they're wrong about you, can you see that maybe you just misunderstand them too? And that's one of the problems I see in the Body of Christ today. There's nothing wrong with defending your brand of theology, but most of what I see is Baptists criticizing Charismatics while not even understanding their theology, and Charismatics blasting Baptist theology by misunderstanding and therefore misrepresenting it too. I know no Baptist who thinks it's ok to keep sinning while you're saved because of grace or eternal security. I also know people who operate in the Gifts who aren't "demon possessed," like some people of other denominations would say. Christians should find common ground as long as they agree on the essential things, while having dialogue about the things they don't. Not to prove their point and how wrong everyone else is, but to honestly seek the TRUTH. If your Christian brothers and sisters are in error about some things, it would do you well to fully understand their points too so you can more effectively argue yours. I've seen people try to witness to members of a cult before where they even so badly confused what the cult believed and then accused the people they wanted to help of things that they KNEW their religion didn't believe or do. So at that point they just assumed the good Christian didn't know much about anything since they clearly had no clue what they were talking about when it came to this cult. It's always better to understand the other denomination or even religion or cult, and don't go making statements that are false or show ignorance about the group or you'll just push the person away and make them stop listening to the TRUE things you say too.

Too many people only want to keep reinforcing their own beliefs in their denominations point of view instead of studying the Word and then praying for understanding. It's hard for people to think that they've been wrong and change their minds and so people don't always look for the truth.

(and when I mentioned Church of God, I should have pointed out that there are several denominations of that name...one of which is a non-Christian cult altogether. But the one I mentioned has it's headquarters in Cleveland, Tennessee and as far as I can tell is identical in belief to the Assemblies of God. Neither of which think other denominations aren't saved as long as they believe in the essential things of salvation.)

Nazarite, I just want to make it clear that I'm not aiming this rant at you personally or anything like that. I just see a lot of misunderstanding amongst practically everyone on all sides. Even when one side in my opinion is right, it seems like they too can just misunderstand the other side completely and it leads to more problems instead of people coming together.

I'm enjoying hearing about everyone's experiences and testimonies here so far. This thread has been a good dialogue.
Shawn, it's cool. And I agree with your assessment. It's good that we can talk to each other from across the table rather than talking at eachother.

N

NazariteNation

Sometimes I think I've become far to much the critic.
*lol* I think we all can be that way at times. Being a Pentecostal in a state that is primarily Baptist has had it's toll on me. It seems like from the first day that I announced my return to Christ, I was immediately blasted with criticism over the fact that I decided to return to my Pentecostal - Holiness roots (in fact I was kind of shocked that the Lord would take me back there as well *lol*) and have been dodging punches ever since. So I will be the first to confess that I can be somewhat critical of the Baptist faith at times.

I would like to understand more about both Baptist and Methodist doctrine. In fact I was under the assumption that Methodists didn't believe in Eternal Security although after hearing Shawn speak, I'm assuming that they might.

N

NazariteNation

Here's a read about the origins of pentecostalism etc it's fairly detailed but simple too:

http://www.oru.edu/university/library/holyspirit/pentorg1.html

I sympathise sometimes with roman catholics when they talk about the 30,000 or so different denominations and "look what the reformation led to, a divided church", in some ways they are right. Although I also point out to them that catholicism is probably just as fragmented and varied in its beliefs within its own church.

I personally look with some suspicion about the latest things like the "Florida revival" of mid last year.
But I think every new pentecostal movement has been looked upon with some suspicion by those of the former pentecostal movements.
Just to let you know, I am well aware that Azuza Street is credited as the birthplace of modern Pentecostalism. Actually the Holiness faith (which would later evolve into COG amd IPHC) predates Azuza Street by a couple decades however once the Pentecostal ball got rolling most Holiness jumped on board.

N

NazariteNation

(and when I mentioned Church of God, I should have pointed out that there are several denominations of that name...one of which is a non-Christian cult altogether. But the one I mentioned has it's headquarters in Cleveland, Tennessee and as far as I can tell is identical in belief to the Assemblies of God. Neither of which think other denominations aren't saved as long as they believe in the essential things of salvation.)
Yes the COG out of Cleveland TN are Pentecostal. Now there are a couple others out there that are a little creepy. Namely the Worldwide Church of God started by Herbert W. Armstrong and it's offshoot the Philidelphia Church of God started by Gerald Flurry. I watched a couple of their programs for a few weeks thinking they were affiliated with COG out of Cleveland. It didn't take me long to realize that something was seriously wrong when they began to declare Armstrong as the third coming of Elijah.

O

onwingsaseagles

The Church I attend is part of the Church of God denom, that is out of Tennessee. The funny thing ids i went to high school in Cleveland and did not attend a church of God church until i was in Richmond Va 13 years later.

S

Shawn

I'm not particularly fond of the word of faith or prosperity movements. I do believe that Kingdom theology (in purest form) is relevant for today seeing as it focuses on the life of Jesus Christ and how we should live by His example however, I don't believe those that are trying to push replacement theology along with it.
I think a lot of people wrongly and automatically assume all Charismatics and Pentecostals follow the word of faith and prosperity movements. I agree with you there...I can't see those doctrines as being Biblical at all. In fact they seem to disagree with a lot of scripture.

Onwingsaseagles, I have some good friends that belong to your denomination.

R

roaringkitten

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also AFTER that ye BELIEVED, ye were SEALED with that holy Spirit of promise." Ephesians 1:13

Status
Not open for further replies.