If we need works to stay saved like a lot of people teach, I think I would need to have a conversation with new believers that looked something like this:
Me: Congrats on being a new believer there's a party in heaven right now!
Them: Oh yay, I'm so happy!
Me: Oh by the way something I need to address. So I know I told you that you would be saved, but just remember you're not technically really saved, because you have to keep working with Jesus.
Them: But that sounds like religion? Didn't you just tell me that I need Jesus not religion?
Me: Yes I did, but what I really meant to say is that you need Jesus to perform works.
Them: And then I know I'm saved?
Me: Well yes as long as you remember you need works.
Them: What kind of works?
Me: I don't know, just love people, be humble, don't be prideful, be holy as He is holy, make sure you go to church, don't love money, keep your eyes on Jesus, just focus on those few for now until we add to your load later. That should keep you saved for awhile. We'll add more to the list as you grow.
Crazy right! But that's exactly what some people teach! But if we take a look at it from a viewpoint with a new Christian it sounds kinda crazy. I'm not saying we don't need obedience, but the very fact we CAN obey is because we ARE saved. We have Holy Spirit who is our direct line to God because we are in Christ! And it is THIS seal of guarantee that allows us to rest from OUR works and enter into His works!
So what is the truth? We joyfully do the things of God because we ARE saved. And the very fact we have Holy Spirit who doesn't hang with sin, shows our sin has been forgiven, and it's this RELATIONSHIP that transforms our heart to desire the things of God. Works are simply a bi-product of our new relationship with Him.
But why don't some people have good works? The same reason Paul wrote to Christians in Scripture telling them they needed good works! Because they didn't know who they are in Christ. They didn't understand how much better God's ways were and how ugly sin's ways were. Once they got this clear in their head they saw themselves and their union with Christ in a new light. This new light lead them to being taught by the Spirit of the Lord from the heart!
So how can we help people have good works? First off, we need to see them according to the Spirit not according to the flesh! This will renew their mind to the new creation reality of who they are in Christ. And as their mind understands the goodness and kindness of God repentance (or turning) to God is a result. And good works flow out of this place, but it's not an obligation, but a joyful obedience because His ways are incredible!
Just a few random thoughts today.
Me: Congrats on being a new believer there's a party in heaven right now!
Them: Oh yay, I'm so happy!
Me: Oh by the way something I need to address. So I know I told you that you would be saved, but just remember you're not technically really saved, because you have to keep working with Jesus.
Them: But that sounds like religion? Didn't you just tell me that I need Jesus not religion?
Me: Yes I did, but what I really meant to say is that you need Jesus to perform works.
Them: And then I know I'm saved?
Me: Well yes as long as you remember you need works.
Them: What kind of works?
Me: I don't know, just love people, be humble, don't be prideful, be holy as He is holy, make sure you go to church, don't love money, keep your eyes on Jesus, just focus on those few for now until we add to your load later. That should keep you saved for awhile. We'll add more to the list as you grow.
Crazy right! But that's exactly what some people teach! But if we take a look at it from a viewpoint with a new Christian it sounds kinda crazy. I'm not saying we don't need obedience, but the very fact we CAN obey is because we ARE saved. We have Holy Spirit who is our direct line to God because we are in Christ! And it is THIS seal of guarantee that allows us to rest from OUR works and enter into His works!
So what is the truth? We joyfully do the things of God because we ARE saved. And the very fact we have Holy Spirit who doesn't hang with sin, shows our sin has been forgiven, and it's this RELATIONSHIP that transforms our heart to desire the things of God. Works are simply a bi-product of our new relationship with Him.
But why don't some people have good works? The same reason Paul wrote to Christians in Scripture telling them they needed good works! Because they didn't know who they are in Christ. They didn't understand how much better God's ways were and how ugly sin's ways were. Once they got this clear in their head they saw themselves and their union with Christ in a new light. This new light lead them to being taught by the Spirit of the Lord from the heart!
So how can we help people have good works? First off, we need to see them according to the Spirit not according to the flesh! This will renew their mind to the new creation reality of who they are in Christ. And as their mind understands the goodness and kindness of God repentance (or turning) to God is a result. And good works flow out of this place, but it's not an obligation, but a joyful obedience because His ways are incredible!
Just a few random thoughts today.