How do you become desperate for God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2009
Well, I'm not sure how to, and apprently that's where I need whereIneed to be...

Last edited:

Kakashi

Jan 3, 2007
Well, I'm not sure how to, and apprently that's where I need whereIneed to be...
Well, you know how you've been working so hard to get a gf and you've wanted one really badly?

It's like that, but desperate for God instead. You have to realize how we are lost without God's guidance. i personally know that by ourselves we can do nothing, and we need Him for every step of the way, and therefore i am desperate for His guidance and love.

it's like asking how do you become desperate for water really. You have to realize that His presence is such a necessity in your life that you will seek it out everyday and live by it!

J

Jordan9

Scripture reading and prayer can't hurt! Other than that, I don't know. For me, it just kind of happened from reading the Gospels. When was the last time you read the Gospels and meditated on the life of Our Lord?

C

concernedguy

Christ said if we ask for anything that brings glory to Him, it will be granted. Having a thirst for God
is Christ-like which is what our goal is to be. If you pray and ask God to give you a thirst for Him,
He should grant that request.

It is only God that can change the hearts of man. God wants us to learn to seek Him and depend
on Him like He is the air we breathe. We can't change our hearts, only our minds. I know for me, I had to
ask God to give me a heart for Him and help me be dependent on Him. The Bible says God is happy
when we as His children depend on Him and bring our requests to Him.
God has changed my heart. Before I was cold and couldn't understand why though I wanted to feel
a deep caring toward others and understood it was Christ-like, I just couldn't do it no matter how
hard I tried. I started to pray about it asking God to give me a heart for Him and a caring for others
to replace my current "heart condition". He will grant this request usually since you are not only
making your request known to Him but are asking to be made more like Him. God already knows
our needs but it is only by us bringing our request to Him that we start to realize our needs. Then
change will happen as Christ's power is within us and empowers us to do things we never thought
were possible.

And about my changed "heart condition", I'm getting ready to start a ministry to help single parents
in the next few days. I would never have considered doing this a year ago.

W

worldlover

for me, once you're losing your way and just can't fight the temptations i think that's where we need God.

C

Cako53

once you get to a point, where you feel so lost without God, you realise that without God you are nothing and you have this uncontrolable love for him. You just get so desperate for him, that you want to truly please him, want to be a child of God after his heart. David is a GREAT example of a man after God's heart. Yes he messed up BIG time! But his world revolved around his relationship with God. he didn't just worship God, he was a worshipper.

Feb 27, 2007

Isnt it funny but I already thought you had that. I'm basing this on your posts where you are desperate to receive the gift of tongues & other posts of yours. Only YOU truly know what is in your heart but the heart of the fellow nic'd dothackzero, whom I see posting in here is a willing open heart craving a relationship with God. Stop letting satan tell you you arent good enough! Your faith in Christ makes you perfect, as perfect as me & all others who've received Christ as Lord in here, receive Christs perfection and let him blanket you with self assuredness that you are truly his! In your fleshly imperfection God will use you for others... thats part of the key, having a desire for others to have relationship with God, not just your own desire for God. Stop focusing on what you dont have and praise the Lord for what you do have. Meditation on Gods word, prayer & fasting are wonderful ways to grow closer. When you pray, try not to remain self focused, of course pray for self but praise God first and foremost & try to bring God into all things in your life, there are so many people in need of prayer. Identify them and bring God into their problems for them. Also, speak to God all day... ie: I'll be washing dishes and look out and see the whiskey jack birds and i'll be like Lord thank you for blessing me with these wonderful birds who will come and close to receive a treat what a beautiful gift you've given us in these birds. then i'll go on to thank God for all of our blessings, or sometimes it ends with that until i notice something else... if its offensive, i cry out to the Lord within myself..." Lord help that little boy to not focus on the bad words his dad is saying Lord blanket him with your protection of his heart & praise you that you are faithful and hear my prayer that this little boy encounter christians in his life who soften his heart towards you Lord" . Just a couple of examples, (i dont do it out loud, just silent prayer throughout the day) Spiritual Blessings to you!

D

dustyzafu

In my own tradition, there are "four thoughts that turn the mind" which are contemplated to encourage urgency. In Christian vocabulary, they could be phrased:

1) Your life is precious, especially since you have knowledge of God and the gospel. This did not have to be the case - there are many people out there who aren't aware of God or his plan for salvation. It would be a waste not to do something with this.

2) Death and judgment are unavoidable. You can seem to get away with ignoring God right now, but there will come a time when all of your wasted opportunities are laid bare. If you rely on tomorrow forever, you will eventually be left empty-handed.

3) Sins have effects even if they don't send a believer to hell. Getting to heaven by the skin of your teeth, as if through fire, isn't a noble goal. Salvation is obviously most important, but there are other aspects to your relationship with God.

4) Life without God may seem pleasurable, but living purely for this world never got anybody anywhere in the afterlife. A few years of fun is, in the final analysis, not worth it. Would you buy a car now if it would take forever to pay off?

Status
Not open for further replies.