How do you feel about circumcision?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tsalagi

Banned [Reason: ongoing "gay Christian" agenda --
May 19, 2012
Personally, I am against circumcision (of children for no medical reason).

Here are my reasons to be against it:

1) Galatians 5:2-6 says that circumcision profits a man nothing and makes him estranged from Christ.

2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

2) Some people are circumcising their children to lower the risk of STDs (though the evidence is disputed). That kind of sounds to me like "Oh. I plan on my son having sex with multiple partners out of wedlock." It's close to impossible to find a virgin with an STD. If both people are virgins when they're married, there's basically no risk of STDs. So, in that sense, it just kinda says lack of faith in your child (they're only a few days old and you already plan on them breaking God's laws?) and lack of faith in God to guide your child away from sin.

3) Some are also circumcising their children to prevent "cancer" like cervical, penile and anal cancer (the American Cancer Society and Cancer Research UK both do not recommend circumcision for prevention of cancer). Over 90% of cervical and anal cancers and about 50% of penile cancers are caused by HPV. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease, meaning if your son is monogamous and is only with his wife, there is virtually no risk of him or his wife developing those cancers. Again, it's like saying "I expect you to sleep around" to your son.

4) Circumcising for hygiene is ridiculous. You wash body parts. You don't cut them off.

5) Children can die from it or lose their penis from it. Plus, they may not want to be circumcised. Adult circumcision is medically safer and less traumatic. And I'm a fan of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Thoughts?

Last edited:
S

SoldatChristi

I remember a verse in the Bible where Paul makes a case in Galatians where he tells us circumcised or uncircumcised, we are all one in Christ. So I don't think it is wrong, it is up to that person what he wants to do. Paul also says everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial and we need to think things through and pray about them because making a case/point. There are some things which the Bible gives us freedom to do and there are some things which the Bible does not give us leeway. The Holy Spirit and God's word should direct us.

I

iSwareWare

In the United States, circumcision is not likely to be a practice done for spiritual reasons amongst Christians. It is completely a hygienic practice that has actually proven benefits to reducing infections and long term problems associated with the infections.

According to the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/circumcision/MY01023/DSECTION=why-its-done: there is an associated "Decreased risk of urinary tract infections: The overall risk of urinary tract infections in males is low, but these infections might be more common in uncircumcised males. Severe infections early in life can lead to kidney problems later on."

I also disagree that it is less painful at adulthood and would say that, because most of the males in this country are circumcised at birth, it is not a practice performed to promote sex out of marriage. Parents of newborn babies just don't say, "let's get him circumcised now so he can have multiple sex partners later."

I agree with SoldatChristi: "There are some things which the Bible gives us freedom to do and there are some things which the Bible does not..." No one is going to hell for being circumcised.

To quote your quote: Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision NOR UNCIRCUMCISION avails anything, but faith working through love.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CatWoman

When my son was born I had him circumcised so he would not feel insecure by looking different from other boys. He is 26 now and he had told me that he was glad that I did that.

Aug 8, 2010
I support t, for many reasons, one being its ties to cervical cancer, I disagree with you saying that it's like an ok for your son to sleep around. Having part of of your penis still intact isn't going to make you more sexual.

C

CatWoman

I never said he was sleeping around or that it was ok. Im talking about being in gym class and you have to take a shower with other guys or having a sleep over and you find out your private parts look different from all your friends. I can see how that would make a kid feel weird.