How do you fix a problem with someone

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Liz01

How do you talk and fix a problem with other person without "hitting" them with the bible but without puting God outside the conversation?

Aug 2, 2009
What is the problem you are having, Liz? It will help answer your question.

L

Liz01

i dont have a problem right now, but i have noticed that i cant help to open the bible in the middle of a discussion with other person even when its about things in our daily lives, and a friend told me months ago that i should not open the bible until the discussion is over bc that may sound as if im scolding them with bible and that doesnt attract ppl to God, so i remembered that and i just was wondering how to do that :)

Aug 2, 2009
i dont have a problem right now, but i have noticed that i cant help to open the bible in the middle of a discussion with other person even when its about things in our daily lives, and a friend told me months ago that i should not open the bible until the discussion is over bc that may sound as if im scolding them with bible and that doesnt attract ppl to God, so i remembered that and i just was wondering how to do that :)
I always try to solve problems using plain common sense first, and I used to listen a lot to self-help gurus like Wayne Dyer and used to read advice columns in magazines and newspapers. I found that good advice always boils down to common sense. The answer never seems obvious until someone clarifies it, then you wonder why you didn't think of it before. Kind of like that. :)

K

kayem77

It's inevitable that when you become christian your answers to any problem become more Christ-centered. That has happened to me, even though I don't open my bible to every issue I hear from my friends in our daily lives ( maybe because I dont have a pocket version haha) I feel the urge of doing so MANY MANY times. It's hard not to bring God in the equation when you can clearly see him in there right? Sometimes I ask myself the same thing.

Maybe we should consider what is wise depending on the situation. Some people may hear what you are saying even if it doesnt look like it, and some others wont, but neither of both is your fault. If they are close friends and know that you are christian, they should expect a christian advice somehow, without being pushy of course. If the sole mention of God irritates some people, maybe they shouldn't ask YOU for advice knowing that you are christian haha. I converted not so long ago, and now I admit that the words of a dear christian friend affected me more than I thought.She wasn't pushy, but she always gave her sincere opinion. Just try not to look like you are scolding them, sometimes its even better to remain quiet and just show support,they will see a good christian in action, not just by words, and that will hopefully bring them closer to God. I think you will judge better , with the help of the Lord, what's better at a certain moment with a certain person.
PS. Arriba mexico! hahah :)

G

GreenNnice

It's inevitable that when you become christian your answers to any problem become more Christ-centered. That has happened to me, even though I don't open my bible to every issue I hear from my friends in our daily lives ( maybe because I dont have a pocket version haha) I feel the urge of doing so MANY MANY times. It's hard not to bring God in the equation when you can clearly see him in there right? Sometimes I ask myself the same thing.

Maybe we should consider what is wise depending on the situation. Some people may hear what you are saying even if it doesnt look like it, and some others wont, but neither of both is your fault. If they are close friends and know that you are christian, they should expect a christian advice somehow, without being pushy of course. If the sole mention of God irritates some people, maybe they shouldn't ask YOU for advice knowing that you are christian haha. I converted not so long ago, and now I admit that the words of a dear christian friend affected me more than I thought.She wasn't pushy, but she always gave her sincere opinion. Just try not to look like you are scolding them, sometimes its even better to remain quiet and just show support,they will see a good christian in action, not just by words, and that will hopefully bring them closer to God. I think you will judge better , with the help of the Lord, what's better at a certain moment with a certain person.
---
Well said , zere and kayM, I would add, lizzytheone, that your common sense may seem uncommon to win because it includes God in its foundation. And, that will ALWAYS be a good thing , the Lord leads.
And as KayM said so well, too, be quiet in temperament to argument and if bringing out bible does not seem right , let the Lord (Holy Spirit ) minister to you for ministering to them in argument. God will give you what to say perfectly as you pray and converse with people have problem .

U

Ugly

I'd say as long as what you're applying from the bible is in direct correlation to the topic at hand, then it could be the person is convicted. Or has some other personal problem with the bible being used. But some people seem to like to use the bible regardless of whether or not it ties in, or they like to pull odd random verses out. Usually people like that confuse more than help as it seems they feel they have to force the bible into a discussion, as opposed to just letting the conversation flow naturally, and if they find a point where the bible comes in, then they use it that way. So just make sure your usage is fully relevant and not some attempt at forcing the bible into the conversation to spiritualize it, or even to make yourself look more spiritual.

L

Liz01

PS. This is my shout of independence day anticipated hahaha Viva Mexico! :D

K

kayem77

PS. This is my shout of independence day anticipated hahaha Viva Mexico! :D
Viva Mexico! haha :)
Seeing that you are there, please eat one or two carne asada tacos for me :p

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
You can give people bible principles without direct quotes. That is what I tend to do but I also try to give out common sense. I recenly had coffee with my pastor to chat over some problems I was having with uni and housing and stuff, we didn't talk about the bible. telling me (or others) what the bible says sometimes isn't actually the best option. Sometimes they just need a wee voice of reason when things get to much. My pastor simply helped me to make a plan. At the end of the coffee she mentioned that I should pray (which I had been anyway) and that God wants me to have a good life and things like that but the thing that stuck with me was the actual practical advice of how I was going to carry on my days. Common sense is undervalued these days. :)

K

kayem77

I go to Chipotle for that :D Viva Burritos!
Chipotle? I think we dont have that here more to the south, but... Vivan los TACOS! haha:) (burritos were not actually very common where I lived in mexico)

K

Kooper

How do you talk and fix a problem with other person without "hitting" them with the bible but without puting God outside the conversation?
Go with the holier then thou routine. It worls very well, I've noticed. *nods* Mm-hm mm-hm. Then once their guard is down, you smack 'em with the hell fire! preacher speach. It works with all the people I've talked too.

*sigh* If it were me, I wouldn't bring up the Bible... But then again, we are called and created to serve God. I think it would be better if you did use God's word to help others, even if they don't think it is the right answer. Atleast you'll spread your seed here and there, to be known as a faithful follower of Christ...

Why can sinners preach? Because they themselves are endowed with the same spirit that God has bestowed upon Adam and upon the generations that came and went.

Theres my reply... It's not good. But hopefully there is something that can be used by someone out there. If not, awesome.

M

Matthew

It is a simple matter of training yourelf to reference the prinicples of your faith without referring to your faith directly, this is how you speak as a Christian without people being aware of it by the use of Bible quotes.

When giving advice, say on not judging someone it is not neccesary to say 'God says not to judge others', you can simply say 'we ought not judge others, we carry our own flaws and do not ourselves appreciate being judged by others'

The Christian standard is there, so if the person in question heeds your advice they have taken a step towards God, but you didn't, as you say, hit them with the Bible.

For an atheist or any other non-believer thay cannot be pushed towards faith, Bible quotes and Christian speeches merely serve to strengthen their cynicism, this kind of adjustment on your part as a Christian is how you begin another persons journey toward Christ.

Last edited:
T

Tobby17

I think it's good that you're *hitting* people with the bible..

But plz don't *over-hit* them.. They might fall down and become unconscious... :D

Feb 10, 2008
It is a simple matter of training yourelf to reference the prinicples of your faith without referring to your faith directly, this is how you speak as a Christian without people being aware of it by the use of Bible quotes.

When giving advice, say on not judging someone it is not neccesary to say 'God says not to judge others', you can simply say 'we ought not judge others, we carry our own flaws and do not ourselves appreciate being judged by others'

The Christian standard is there, so if the person in question heeds your advice they have taken a step towards God, but you didn't, as you say, hit them with the Bible.

For an atheist or any other non-believer thay cannot be pushed towards faith, Bible quotes and Christian speeches merely serve to strengthen their cynicism, this kind of adjustment on your part as a Christian is how you begin another persons journey toward Christ.
To expand on what Matthew states... The key to not hitting someone over the head with the Bible is KNOWING what it says. Not memorizing the words, but truly knowing and understanding the concepts that it teaches. People (Christians included) gain much more understanding from "putting it in your own words". Jesus told parables, pastors tell stories, they aren't just reading the Bible at people. It's much more difficult, and much more powerful to be able to converse with someone and share the concepts of the bible with them in a natural way. Quoting chapter and verse is something that requires a certain degree of religious maturity to process and when interacting with worldly people, you will likely not find that maturity.

On the other hand, if you are in a discussion with someone about the specifics of God's nature, or the details of specific biblical teachings, by all means it makes sense to quote chapter and verse. But out in the real world, those types of discussions are truly rare. It really requires christian-to-christian interactions;, the other should be (or should be becoming) just as swift and deadly as you with the Bible (sword of truth reference, so no violence complaints please :p ).

L

Liz01

I think it's good that you're *hitting* people with the bible..

But plz don't *over-hit* them.. They might fall down and become unconscious... :D
hahaha very funny

L

Liz01

Thank you very much all for your advices

G

grateful

MY PROBLEM IS......MY PARTNER DOESNT DO THE THINGS NOW THAT HE DID TO GET ME. WE'VE HAD A CHILD TOGETHER AND AFTER THAT OUR RELATIONSHIP SEEMS SO BORING AND I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Mar 18, 2011
Open the bible, you're doing great, keep it up!! People tell me that I can believe what I want and others can believe what they want. People will tell you to save your money and not give it to a homeless person. People even said to crucify Jesus, if you are following God you are doing GREAT!!