How do you pray?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AnandaHya

I remember reading a post by someone who got really offended over how people use prayer as a vehicle for vicious gossip and attack upon members of the church and community pretending to pray to God.

I also read in that thread about using prayer to teach the hearer and how prayers should between you and God.

to an extent I agree. i think everyone should spend some part of their day in personal private prayer with GOd when you pour your heart out to Him and ask him to heal you. when you ask God to reveal the things you did wrong and learn from your mistakes and things and people you need to help heal and make amends for hurting in your past and learning what God wants you to do with your future.

However, I was reading the Bible and it seems to just jump out at me and say. Hey Jesus prayed for the benefit of His hearers. there is nothing wrong with praying and reminding ourselves and our hearers of God's promises. lessons about His commandments and other wisdom God places in our hearts when we are praying to speak out loud and affirm with our mouths that we believe in God and His word and His promises. It is faith affirming to pray both alone and with others.

John 11
40 Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” 41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying.[d] And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 42 And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.” 43 Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” 44 And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”

I like hearing wisdom and lessons and words that remind me of God's love even if some might find the prayers "preach" or "pompous" I don't think they are meant that way. I don't think the speakers heart means for it to be so. I know when I pray I don't think of how my words might sound to others. it is until afterwards I hear the muttering and the words of "she thinks she is so much better then us, blah blah blah"

and it cuts. you know I try not to think about it because I know it is a lie. I know my list of sins and faults and shortcomings and I will not be made to feel guilty because I can't say I'm sinless because I can say without a doubt that I am blameless for I walk as best as God's grace allows in the Spirit of my Lord Jesus Christ.

But i pray ever day and God reveals me my sins and my shortcomings and how i have not reached the goal but daily continue to strive for that upward call of God.

Is there a wrong way to pray?

we could go into the tongues topic but we won't. we could talk about music or dance or other forms of worship but we won't.

Instead we will let God's Word speak for Himself.

Ephesians 5:18-21
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another in the fear of God.[a]

you see I don't worry about my sin until i no longer hear that melody in my heart that continously praises the Lord and His mercy and grace. when i get so selfish and caught up in me and my desires that I forget to pray and do not realize I have walked away from my Lord. only then do I fear for I do not have His light to show me the way, but I have found if I fall on my knees and pray. God is quick to answer and His song is more wonderful and precious then words can truly describe.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2OMoFuHQQ[/video]

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009
I think prayer is a private conversation between an individual and the Lord. Paul told us to pray constantly.

A

AnandaHya

I think prayer is a private conversation between an individual and the Lord. Paul told us to pray constantly.
that is one type of prayer but there are others. do you believe in praying with a group of people?

Paul told us to do that as well.

James 5:15-16
15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I believe in praying with groups of people. I've seen lots of spiritual things happen when people pray in a group.

One thing I don't care for is group memorized prayers. It somehow feels artificial/staged to me.

Dec 19, 2009
that is one type of prayer but there are others. do you believe in praying with a group of people?

15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
I see nothing wrong with people praying together. We do it in church every Sunday. When people pray together, the prayer should be used for the benefit of everyone present.

Dec 19, 2009

I don’t think a group prayer should be used to attack someone in that group.

C

Consumed

secret place prayer 1-1 with God
two or more are gathered -
give thanks always in all things
Lords Prayer - memerized recited however it goes further being a prayer outline
Praise and Worship
Acknowledgement of Soveriegnty and creation
His will
Daily bread, thanks for grace and bread of life Jesus
Forgiveness for indescretions both to and from
acknowledge His leading to still waters
deliverance
honor and glory

prov 3:5-6

:) our most powerful weapon in our arsenal is not how much we know about God, but how much time we devote to prayer, Jesus gave us the way to follow

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I read scripture that said set all requests before God with raise and thanksgiving.
This teels us that our prayers are always heard, that we are always in Go's care, so much so that we can praise and thank Him as we make our requests.
I have always believed that true prayers come in many forms, all to the glory of God, that we are called to pray in all we do, in private, and two or more gathered in Jesus's name.
For prayer is to be close to Jesus, and in Him close to God, being close to God is to recieve all His care for one and all, thus praiseing Him, for it is to His glory we know Him, and trust Him.
All raise and glory are your Lord God!!!!

In Jesus, God bless.
pickles

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
I heard from a Jewish preacher that the pattern for prayer is the wildreness tabernacle. There was a fence and it had only one gate to get to the father you most come through the son.

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) and

I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.” (John 10:9)

Altar of sacrifice - come into his presence with thanks giveing for all that has been done for you and for all that he is.

We have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. …By one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. …And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.
Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving ps 95:2

The laver, or basin, was a large bowl made with mirrors filled with water. Here we examin ourself through what the bible has said.
Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.” (Ephesians 5:25-27)

golden lampstand - Through the word we learn to walk as Jesus walked.

I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)

“I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.” (John 12:46)

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. – Matthew 5:14-16

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. It is by knowing the word that we know if our paryer lines up to the will of GOD.

table of showbread-Jesus’ body broken for us this the last supper. We are all one body. The more time you spend in the word the more it's secrets are broken open before you. Also we are a family do not forget to pray for the family of GOD.

golden altar of incense - now after you have done all this searching of your hear you are now prepared to pray to a most holy GOD.

May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.” (Psalm 141:2)

The ark of the covenant - O Lord Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth.” (Isaiah 37:16)
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)

The Gift of Prayer
The Word of God tells us that we will have tribulation in the world ( John 16:33 ). When we have trouble we are not alone because Jesus is at the right hand of the Father interceding for us ( Romans 8:34 ). The word of God promises that whatever we ask the Father in Jesus name He may give you (John 15:16). This promise has conditions that have to be met to get the promise:

1 We must be children of GOD for him to hear us ( John 8:47 )He who is of God hears the words of God. That is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you ( John14:17). But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name. ( John 1:12 ).

2 We must have a relationship with GOD by staying in his word. ( John 15:7) If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. If we know the word of God and meet the requirements of a promise in GOD?s word we can claim that promise through prayer. ( Isaiah 55:11 ) my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

3 We must believe that God has heard and will answer our prayer. Have faith that you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer ( Matthew 21:22). Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him ( Hebrews 11:6 ). Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. ( Hebrew 11:1). We must believe that when we pray according to the will of God as revealed in his word that the pray has been answered, and will come to pass at his timing not ours.

4 We must not waver in our faith but stand strong in the promises of GOD. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful(Hebrews 10:23). Ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways ( James 1:6-8)

5 We must ask for forgiveness of our sins and turn from them. The LORD?s hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear. But your sins have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear ( Isaiah 59: 1-2 ). If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness ( 1 John 1:9).

6 We must forgive people who have wronged us. For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins ( Matthew 6:14-16).

7 We must bring our request to GOD often until the time they come to pass. Now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? ( Luke 18:7 )

8 We need to make sure what we are asking for is not out of selfish desires. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives., that you may spend it on your pleasures ( James 4:3)

9 We need to come into God?s presents with a thankful heart and praise for all he is, has done, and will do ( Psalm 116:17). Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations (Psalm 100:4-5). Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God ( Philippans 4:6). Then after we have made our request known. We need to continue in prayer, and watch for the answer with thanksgiving ( Colossians 4:2)

Feb 16, 2011
Personal prayer in secret
Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closest, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Church prayer in public
James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: