How do you prove a sin nature?

• Thread starter forgivenandloved
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

forgivenandloved

I'm having a hard time explaining to my Buddhist friend about the sin nature if he doesn't believe the Bible. any ideas?

M

Maranatha_Yeshua

Sure, you would have to build a foundation of morality first. IE What is sin/good/evil?

Second, you could explain you don't need to "teach a child how to sin", it's very natural for a child to do sinful things which would be his/her nature.

That is depending on what you guys establish is a sin though, possibly lying? You wouldn't need to teach a kid how to lie for that to happen.

K

karuna

Where's he from in particular? Depending on his background, he may already agree with the idea but not know it or might never agree. How much has he been educated in Buddhist philosophy? If he doesn't know much about it, you may not have to approach him as a Buddhist specifically.

K

karuna

If he seems familiar with the words anicca, anatta, and dukkha, you may want to explain that in Christian thought, the world became dukkha. Originally there was perfection and we were meant to live forever with God, but through sin the world was broken and now no longer offers permanent satisfaction. Even we're tainted by it - our bodies and minds are unreliable. We think we strive for good but far more often than not we tend to do just the opposite.

Essentially, Christians and Buddhists agree on the idea that we're more prone to sin than virtue and that's because we're not right on some level, but the disagreement is how we got that way. You could point to the Buddhist wheel of dependent origination - they blame it on ignorance, we blame it on disobedience. Christianity offers a different way out, a world not characterized by dukkha.

C

charisenexcelcis

Remember that it is the Holy Spirit who convicts regarding sin and righteousness. Two things are vital. First that you pray that the Holy Spirit will bring the conviction regarding sin on your friend. This is not condemnation which is futile, but a work by which the sinner becomes aware of their sinful condition and their need for redemption and freedom. Second, you must allow the Holy Spirit brings fruit into you life and character, so that you will become a contrasting example of the righteousness that comes by faith.

G

greatkraw

K

karuna

For whatever it's worth, Buddhists also believe that people can do bad things and that there are consequences. I don't think a list will be the most uplifting conversation.

Feb 3, 2010
I'm having a hard time explaining to my Buddhist friend about the sin nature if he doesn't believe the Bible. any ideas?
Sinning is the act of choosing the lesser good - which is all we can do without Christ. The habit of choosing the lesser good, which continues even after Christ comes into relationship with us is our sinful nature.

Feb 3, 2010
also God used China to judge Tibet because of the disgraceful and corrupt actions of the buddhist monks
So where is the Western World's judgment for stealing the world's resources from it's neighbors and consuming them at an alarming rate, while doing nothing to improve the economic conditions for the third world countries we are fleecing? How about retribution for modeling consumerism to China, Russia, and Japan in the selfish hope of creating more consumers for the products we create from the resources we plunder?

How ironic it is that we interpret the hardship of other countries - much of it held in place by our economic polices - as judgment from God for the sins of the nations.

If we are not helping, we are hurting - God have mercy on us!

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Ask him if he has ever done or said anything that has hurt someone. :)

Say this is sin and ask him if he really thinks he is free of it.

G

greatkraw

So where is the Western World's judgment for stealing the world's resources from it's neighbors and consuming them at an alarming rate, while doing nothing to improve the economic conditions for the third world countries we are fleecing? How about retribution for modeling consumerism to China, Russia, and Japan in the selfish hope of creating more consumers for the products we create from the resources we plunder?

How ironic it is that we interpret the hardship of other countries - much of it held in place by our economic polices - as judgment from God for the sins of the nations.

If we are not helping, we are hurting - God have mercy on us!
you have something of a point

God withholds his judgement temporarily while there are a handful of believers present
look at Ninevah and Sodom & Gomorrah

Tibet did not even have a handful of believers

And when the Church is taken out of the world at the rapture God will be free to prosecute an overdue judgement.

The only people safe will be 144000, 12000 of each tribe - that makes it too specific to be allegorical

K

karuna

Tibet did not even have a handful of believers
This is interesting. Every time I've bothered to look, there have been hints at very small communities of believers in Tibet, back to the 1600s. Apparently, during the diaspora they became more visible. Does anyone have any good resources on this question?

Feb 3, 2010
This is interesting. Every time I've bothered to look, there have been hints at very small communities of believers in Tibet, back to the 1600s. Apparently, during the diaspora they became more visible. Does anyone have any good resources on this question?
God. He is the only one who determines who believers are and who are not. If we are claiming there are no believers in Tibet we are reading a book by it's cover.........God loves the development of the heart, not the clanging of doctrine.

Last edited:
K

karuna

Are there any resources which discuss self-identified communities of Christians in Tibet, then?

G

greatkraw

I did not say zero believerss -but God would have spared S&G for ten

since the chinese took over and put radios everywhere, christians have been saturating the airwaves with the gospel

just as God helped alexander the Great so there was a universal language and He also prospered the romans so there were roads and the rule of law

all to facilitate the propogation of the gospel

C

charisenexcelcis

Tibet was a theocracy prior to the takeover by the Chinese Communists. Christianity was illegal for a good portion of its history.

L

lightbliss

Ask him if he has ever done or said anything that has hurt someone. :)

Say this is sin and ask him if he really thinks he is free of it.

You know the expression "The truth hurts"? So that kinda doesn't necessarily apply.
Maranatha Yeshua pretty much summed it up.

K

karuna

I've looked in different places and have come up with some interesting reading.

The China Inland Mission, now the Overseas Missionary Fellowship, which had a missionary, James Cameron, in Tibet as early as 1877. They eventually withdrew when the government became aggressive in 1953. Obviously, it's hard to get information after that.

Apparently, though, in the early 20th century, significant numbers of the Lisu, Yi, and Nu peoples became Christian. Some missionaries of note were Isobel Miller Kuhn (1901-1957), Alfred James Broomhall (1911-1994), Joan Margaret Wales (1916-). I'm not sure who they were affiliated with. Their work seems to have taken place mostly on the eastern border.

I definitely can't find anybody who made converts in Lhasa or thereabouts. Fascinating stuff. I had no idea there were missionaries anywhere in that area before the 20th century.

S

SeekinHIM

Dear Forgivenandloved,

Just let JESUS love him through you ................This is sure to bring him into a place that the HOLY SPIRIT can bring the conviction upon him, and then HE will reveal to him his need for CHRIST.....

SeekinHIM