How do you respond to conviction?-*warning this topic is highly practical*

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

1 Thes 1:4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction.

We had a convo in chat last night about what Christians shouldn't partake of in regards to entertainment media. Movies, tv, music, books and the like.

This verse in Thessalonians came to mind about the gospel. It's said to have come to them with DEEP CONVICTION. It made me wonder, how do we/you respond to conviction? How should you respond to deep conviction?

1.Out right ignore it.
2.Find endless ways to justify yourself.
3.Go into instant grieving for your sins mode?
4.Make yourself the victim and demonize the speaker as some super holy person.
5.Seek others who's opinion you value and discuss it with them so you address it correctly.
6..Think, pray, read God's word alone, so you can make a wise decision.
7. Some combination of the above.

8. Other options not listed, but that you will list.

1still_waters

Re: How do you respond to conviction?

9. Decipher the difference between unnecessary guilt and true conviction from God. Being careful not to poo poo conviction by labeling it as guilt, when it really is conviction.

1still_waters

Re: How do you respond to conviction?

10. Create absurd hypotheticals to justify staying in the thing you've felt conviction over.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
1 Thes 1:4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction.

We had a convo in chat last night about what Christians shouldn't partake of in regards to entertainment media. Movies, tv, music, books and the like.

This verse in Thessalonians came to mind about the gospel. It's said to have come to them with DEEP CONVICTION. It made me wonder, how do we/you respond to conviction? How should you respond to deep conviction?

1.Out right ignore it.
5.Seek others who's opinion you value and discuss it with them so you address it correctly.

LOL still..:Dyer funny.
i'll go.

6..Think, pray, read God's word alone, so you can <snip> learn to discern between good and bad.

9. Decipher the difference between unnecessary guilt and true conviction from God. <snip>

11. confess it and ask for help to stop doing it....give thanks for the conviction and correction and forgiveness. move on.

J

jimmydiggs

What constitutes as conviction? That's something I've never really felt sure about.

E

eternally-gratefull

According to scripture. Someone who is doing something "they are convicted over" whether that conviction be from God or not, is sin. even if it is not "literally" a sin.

I like Zones answer. Confess it, And ask God to help you overcome it. I would also add, get help from a brother or sister in Christ. Not to try to do it on your own. Have someone help hold you accountable. Keeping sin to yourself never works (at least in my experience)

zone

Jun 13, 2010
What constitutes as conviction? That's something I've never really felt sure about.
i reckon that's in here diggs:

Romans 2
God’s Judgment and the Law
12For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. 14For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

17But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast in God 18and know his will and approve what is excellent, because you are instructed from the law; 19and if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? 22You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law. 24For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

25For circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law, but if you break the law, your circumcision becomes uncircumcision. 26So, if a man who is uncircumcised keeps the precepts of the law, will not his uncircumcision be regardedb as circumcision? 27Then he who is physically uncircumcised but keeps the law will condemn you who have the written codec and circumcision but break the law. 28For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

N

Nalu

When I feel convicted about something, this is what I do.

I Repent and turn away from what causes separation from God. My speech and actions have to be consistent with the teachings contained in the Bible.

If I am personally convicted about activities that I involve myself in, I cease from it.

Christian's that warm themselves at the enemies fire, or dance to whatever tune is playing on the enemies juke box will understand in time that its not right.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011

^^^ I think this verse is referring to the fact that we should settle in our hearts that Jesus Christ is indeed the Savior of mankind, by asking God Himself to reveal truth to us (He will!) We need to have that Holy Spirit deep conviction, so that our faith is not blind, but rooted in a deeper understanding. That way, we won't be easily swayed by the storms and rains of this life. So, in that area, I hope my conviction is very deep.

However, when I say I feel "convicted" about something, it means that The Holy Spirit has revealed an error to me. I suppose it comes by way of our conscience, but I can tell it apart from condemnation/guilt because The Holy Spirit is always very specific in His correction (you did this wrong/you need to change this area of your life). Condemnation/guilt, however, is a constant nagging that we're not good enough, and it isn't helpful if you have already accepted Christ as your Savior, because if you have then there is no more condemnation in you. He doesn't want us to feel guilty, He wants us to repent and try to do better. But, ALWAYS listen to the conviction of The Holy Spirit, or you will stop growing.

Last edited:
R

RachelBibleStudent

sometimes people do this...

12. compare your sin to others' sins to assure yourself that your particular sin isn't all that bad

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
If u feel ,like u aint supposed to be doin somethin,,,,quit doin it

D

dennis580

According to scripture. Someone who is doing something "they are convicted over" whether that conviction be from God or not, is sin. even if it is not "literally" a sin.
One thing can be a sin for one person, but not a sin for another person. Here are some scriptures on this from Romans 14:1-6, and Romans 14:22-23

Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. Who are you to judge another&#8217;s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.- Romans 14:1-6

Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.- Romans 14:22-23[

Last edited:
D

dennis580

When I feel convicted about something, this is what I do.

I Repent and turn away from what causes separation from God. My speech and actions have to be consistent with the teachings contained in the Bible.

If I am personally convicted about activities that I involve myself in, I cease from it.
Yes that is excately what we should do.

N

NoahsMom

too funny. Good job stilly.

C

Crossfire

sometimes people do this...

12. compare your sin to others' sins to assure yourself that your particular sin isn't all that bad

Good one! *lol*

That's called the self righteous approach and probably the most common.

A

AnandaHya

1.Out right ignore it.

is this a poll?

B

Brighthouse

To me conviction,is guilt,and guilt leads to judgement,and judgment leads to repentance,which leads to peace.( john 14:27)