How does our righteousness exceed that of the pharasees?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Jesus was our prime example,we are not to be holier than thou,we are not under the law,we should be
winning people for him with patience,one plants,one waters, but God gives the increase.The Lord looks
at hearts and potential of what people can be. He said store up treasures in heaven

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
i like :)

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs are the kingdom of God.

Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God.

Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are those who thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.

Blessed are those who mourn for they will reap songs of joy :)

Peace.

S

Slepsog4

The Pharisees' righteousness was hypocritical self-righteousness to be seen of men.

Ours is a righteousness that comes by faith in Christ as our perfect atoning sacrifice.

Oct 2, 2011
Jesus was our prime example,we are not to be holier than thou,we are not under the law,we should be
winning people for him with patience,one plants,one waters, but God gives the increase.The Lord looks
at hearts and potential of what people can be. He said store up treasures in heaven
Nice thread damombomb. The pharisees righteousness was external and hypocritical. We need to have pure righteousness that comes from Christ/ inner righteousness/ pure hearts, and pure motives.

C

Crossfire

i like :)

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs are the kingdom of God.

Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God.

Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are those who thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.

Blessed are those who mourn for they will reap songs of joy :)

Peace.
A good word and a great reminder. :)

C

Crossfire

Great stuff!

L

Laodicea

Matthew 23:27-28
(27) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
(28) Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
Matthew 23:26
(26) Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Matthew 15:18-20
(18) But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
(19) For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
(20) These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

The righteousness of Christ will change us from within the Pharisees only had a outward appearance of righteousness but were not changed within.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
:D How does our righteousness exceed that of the pharasees?
Through the imputed righteousness and atonement blood of Christ alone.

Matt.3

[13] Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
[14] But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
[15] And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
[16] And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
[17] And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matt.7

[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Rom.1

[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
[17] For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
[18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Rom.4

[1] What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
[2] For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
[3] For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
[4] Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
[5] But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
[6] Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
[7] Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

Rom.7

[14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
[15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
[16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
[17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
[19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
[20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
[22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
[23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
[24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
[25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom.8

[1] There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[2] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
[3] For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
[4] That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[5] For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
[6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
[7] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
[8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
[10] And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
[11] But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
[12] Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
[13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
[15] For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
[16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
[17] And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

[28] And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
[29] For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
[30] Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
[31] What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
[32] He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
[33] Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

Rom.9

[9] For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.
[10] And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
[11] ( For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )
[12] It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
[13] As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
[14] What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
[15] For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
[16] So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
[17] For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
[18] Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
[19] Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
[20] Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
[21] Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
[22] What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
[23] And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
[24] Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
[25] As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
[26] And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
[27] Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
[28] For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
[29] And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.
[30] What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
[31] But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
[32] Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
[33] As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Rom.10

[1] Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
[2] For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
[3] For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
[4] For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Tit.3

[3] For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
[4] But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
[5] Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
[6] Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
[7] That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
How does our righteousness exceed that of the pharasees?
By being saved and thus made right with God by his work through Christ? I don't remember the New Testament mentioning any of the Pharisees being saved except maybe one or two. Most of the Pharisees, after all, didn't even like Christ.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
By being saved and thus made right with God by his work through Christ? I don't remember the New Testament mentioning any of the Pharisees being saved except maybe one or two. Most of the Pharisees, after all, didn't even like Christ.
Not to go off-topic,this is just a paranthesis, but there were actually quite a lot of pharisees who eventually repented.

Acts.6

[7] And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Acts.21

[15] And after those days we took up our carriages, and went up to Jerusalem.
[16] There went with us also certain of the disciples of Caesarea, and brought with them one Mnason of Cyprus, an old disciple, with whom we should lodge.
[17] And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly.
[18] And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.
[19] And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry.
[20] And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Not to go off-topic,this is just a paranthesis, but there were actually quite a lot of pharisees who eventually repented.
The Acts 6:7 passage is interesting, but I don't think one needs to be a Pharisee to be zealous for the law. I know at least one Jew who is zealous for obeying the Torah but only in the way that the Jews have taught and not the way God has taught, and she wants to obey it in this way not for spiritual reasons but to preserve Judaism. She's an odd one, she is.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
The Acts 6:7 passage is interesting, but I don't think one needs to be a Pharisee to be zealous for the law...
The priests in Acts 6:7 were arguably saducees. Those zealous for the law in Acts 21:20 were mostly pharisees.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
The priests in Acts 6:7 were arguably saducees. Those zealous for the law in Acts 21:20 were mostly pharisees.
Ah, I see. Was too lazy to look at the surrounding context of those passages. :eek: Cool beans. It still surprises me that a Jew, who believes nothing great can come of the Law even in spiritual matters, would love to obey the Law for no reason but to obey it and yet fall short of obeying it because she obeys it in the fashion of the Pharisees by adding to and subtracting from it. It's just mind-boggling and messes with my head. You have to be seriously OCD to live like that.

She's not getting anything spiritually out of it. She doesn't care to please God with her obedience.
She obeys it in a different way than God says to obey it.
She obeys it for the sake of preserving it in the way that she's obeying it which originally has no intrinsic value.

Why? I'm just confused.

Oct 31, 2011
I am zealous for the law, I love the law! I do my best to obey it. I am saved through the grace of my triune God and the sacrificial blood of God the Son. If I did not try my best to obey the law, I could not have grace. Thieves and Liars cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I see God the Father and God the Holy Spirit in God the Son.
I love Psalm 119, also, that talks about the law. Jesus explained that our motive for obeying needs to be right, and we need to sort out men's ideas and God's and listen to God.
I thinik sometimes we get carried away, forgetting to include all of scripture so truth we quote becomes out of proportion.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
I am zealous for the law, I love the law! I do my best to obey it. I am saved through the grace of my triune God and the sacrificial blood of God the Son. If I did not try my best to obey the law, I could not have grace. Thieves and Liars cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I see God the Father and God the Holy Spirit in God the Son.
I love Psalm 119, also, that talks about the law. Jesus explained that our motive for obeying needs to be right, and we need to sort out men's ideas and God's and listen to God.
I thinik sometimes we get carried away, forgetting to include all of scripture so truth we quote becomes out of proportion.

Romans6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law,but
under grace15,What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace?God forbid