How many scrolls existed 200 BC?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

texasman

In my discussions with the lost, I love to use the example of the Book of Daniel as God's inspired word. The critics claim there was a "pseudo Daniel"==a copycat written 600 years after events happened.

I have been trying to find someone who would know the approximate nuber of Jewish Temples in existence about 200 BC. Did each temple have its won scroll? Were their other Jewish Temples located throughout the world? I cannot find the answer anywhere I look. PLease help!

S

Slepsog4

There was only ONE Temple. Are you talking about synagogues?

N

NazariteNation

In my discussions with the lost, I love to use the example of the Book of Daniel as God's inspired word. The critics claim there was a "pseudo Daniel"==a copycat written 600 years after events happened.

I have been trying to find someone who would know the approximate nuber of Jewish Temples in existence about 200 BC. Did each temple have its won scroll? Were their other Jewish Temples located throughout the world? I cannot find the answer anywhere I look. PLease help!
Yeah, I think he's referring to synagogues. I'm not sure how many there were during the time frame listed however if you are familiar with the book of Malachi, which was written I believe around 400 bc, Malachi talks about the presence of God departing Israel at that time and would not return until the messenger angel Gabrielle came to the father of John The Baptist and from there you have the birth of both John & Jesus. So I doubt that there were any inspired writings during the 400 year time frame between Malachi & John.

As for the synagogues, there were none until the Babylonian / Persian captivity. The Jews were allowed to take scrolls of the scriptures with them seeing as many of the Kings of the East valued literature from every conquered nation and would have huge libraries. I'm sure the Jews made copies as needed. Public reading of the scriptures during captivity is mostly how the synagogue came into being in the first place. Although I don't believe Jews were even allowed to gather in a corperate setting to worship until most likely the Persians who, by the grace of God, favored the Jews. Props to Mordicai & Esther.

Anyways the concept of synagogue was brought back to Isreal when Persia released the Jews from captivity and gave the Jews the necessary wealth and resources to rebuild the temple. To be honest I'm not even sure that they had synagogues in Daniel's day (at least in the early years) however seeing as Daniel and Ezekiel overlapped, there could be a scriptural basis for such in either book. Been a while since I've read either book...

N

NazariteNation

By the way, as Paul and other early christians made their way into the Gentile nations in order to profess the Gospel of Jesus Christ, ussually the first place they would look for is a Jewish settlement where there would find a synagogue. Keep in mind it was customary to preach "to the Jew first, then the Gentile". In doing so, if those Jews in the area accepted the Gospel of Jesus then it made it much easier for these great men of God to establish a church in that area and begin preaching to the Gentiles. This is also why Paul often times had to write letters about the workings of grace and how it effected "the law". I believe the New Testament makes reference of synagogues existing in Syria and Turkey and quite possibly Greece, and Rome although I could be wrong. I would imagine that there already synagogues in Persia, Babylon, Egypt and quite possibly Ethopia and Alexandria (Libya) especially along various long established trade routes where there would be Jewish settlement of significant size.

Status
Not open for further replies.