How old is the earth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
God knew it didn't matter if we knew how old the earth is but it matters tremendously if we know all about God.

I feel sorry for those who only know scripture literally, and I feel sorry for those who only see scripture spiritually, for God gives all as actual happenings with a spiritual message. The Jewish scholars said that in scripture there are five different messages for us, literal and spiritual understanding are only two.
I completely agree! Science just tells us how God did it. The bible tells us why.
Btw, what are the other three messages?

L

LPT

"Scientists" used to say earth was several million years old. Since they couldn't test that theory against reality, they came up with a new theory......the earth was now BILLIONS of years old!

Our SUN is getting smaller, miniscule amounts every year.
TAke that fact back a billion years or more, ......the sun would have been MUCH larger,...intense hear.....unable to sustain life of any kind, earth would be only a dead piece of rock..........no wait..........not even that..........if the sun was THAT big.....earth would have been a cinder.
Pure none sense the sun is not getting smaller, were did you get that idea? it's growing in size eating up its reserves of hydrogen, one day it will be a red gaint before it implodes/supernovae.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
If you add up the Genealogy from Adam to Christ, and from Christ to now, you will see that the earth is less than 15,000 years old, but more than 6,000 as some people claim.
Adam is the first person recorded in Jewish history, he was living in the Bronze Age. People were living earlier than the bronze age, for example in the ice ages.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Quantrill, I had a bet with myself that you would come back at me with that quote about private interpretations! But this is about the writers of the scripture and even then, they are not typewriters (as the muslims would have it). Scripture is a joint venture between man and God, with God as the senior partner. But there is a man involved and that doesn’t diminish the revelation at all. But the scripture is constrained by the knowledge and experience of the writer and God accepts this. Why did Jesus not write an autobiography? Because he didn’t need to!
But when it comes to reading the scripture it is YOU who reads and understands. And how do you understand, if not through the totality of your person? Your experiences too. This doesn’t mean you get it wrong if you have some opinion or experience, it filters what you are receptive to. In the end each person takes what they need.
The other thing is that christians are all equipped with the holy spirit, who has the job of revealing the meaning of the scripture. There is no problem with this provided you realise that there is no ONE correct interpretation! God speaks to us all at different levels and this is determined by education, experience and understanding.
Of course the bible makes perfect sense if you interpret it literally. That’s what people did for several thousand years, but its not the only way. I think Genesis is like one of the parables, it gets the big message across and the details are not the main point. Does this mean I lose my salvation?
The point I am making is that the scripture is limited by the experience and knowledge of the men who wrote it and God doesn’t care. For example Job 42 has God telling us that if Job is so clever, let him try to tame leviathan. Then God tells him about the characteristics of this creature. He says it breaths fire. At this time men believed such things, so God uses this idea to convey a deeper truth. Do huge fire breathing creatures exist? Of course not. Did God know this? Of course he did! But he didn’t care. That wasn’t the point at all. Its the same with Genesis. God knows how he really made the universe and he could easily have told us. But he was dealing with primitive men! So he speaks their language.
Look at the catholic church. Incredible doctrines, many not even scriptural, but God used this church to save millions, even the ones who believe in the mother of God and purgatory!
Of course there are cults. That’s a different thing entirely. You cannot believe anything! The person of christ cannot be messed with, on that I am sure we agree. But on all the peripheral issues, we can all have different opinions and when we get to heaven, it will be hilarious to run through them.
You are wrong. There is one correct interpretation. The believer can make application from that correct interpretation. But if his interpretation is not correct, then neither is his application.

Hilarity doesn't fit with me concerning anything in Heaven. Sounds very foreign.

Quantrill

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Gen 1 account creation is very deep in explaining what happened. The universe was actualized from God's thoughts and the sequence is also true. The darkness that was said is not just darkness but negative energy, so for anything (even an atom) to exist, the darkness was to be overcome and the condition in which darkness has been overcome is called light. Doesn't necessarily mean visible light but from this light which was distributed all over the emptiness, came matter and from matter, everything else.

It is also said that light was separated from darkness- this simply means matter was actualized from that process.
Then from matter we get the bodies and earth being covered by the atmosphere- and the process continued upto day 6. There is nothing wrong with this sequence.
The Hebrew words translated a dark and light meant negative and positive energy. On the first day God put goodness, Godliness, positive energy in what was only dark negative energy.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Pure none sense the sun is not getting smaller, were did you get that idea? it's growing in size eating up its reserves of hydrogen, one day it will be a red gaint before it implodes/supernovae.
Too sim;plistic for you? ok....sun is losing heat power, while mass is increasing.

L

LPT

Too sim;plistic for you? ok....sun is losing heat power, while mass is increasing.
A little better than saying it's getting smaller but what you said above is what is referred to as,

grand minimum

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Is satan made of dark matter?

glf1

Jun 10, 2018

THE OLD EARTH (GAP) THEORY

To better understand what the Bible really says, about the age of the earth, we must critically inspect the translation accuracy of our modern Bibles. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: And there was light” (Genesis 1:1-3). The Hebrew word hâyâh translated to the first "was" in Genesis 1:2, can just as easily mean "became." Verse one is a general statement that depicts the creation: A perfect and complete work at the very time it was done. God would not create an uneven, disorderly world. In verse two, we could say that, somehow, the earth "became" without form and void. Translated from the Hebrew, are the words for "without form" (tôhûw) and "void" (bôhûw). In their original tongue, both these words basically mean the same thing: Empty or desolate. Enter the "gap theory," which states: There could have been multiple thousands of years between the time "in the beginning," when God did the creating in Genesis 1:1; and Genesis 1:2, when the earth was (or became) empty and desolate. In essence then, the creation depicted in Genesis chapter 1, after verse 1, constitutes a re-creation. This is also called the “old earth” doctrine.

I believe in the gap theory, as it aligns with the true picture given us in other places in scripture. Satan had already fallen by the time he got to the Garden of Eden (see Ezekiel 28:12-16). Also consider the following:

“And it shall come to pass in the day that the Lord shall give thee rest from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve, that thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, how hath the oppressor ceased! The golden city ceased! The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers. He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth. The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: They break forth into singing. Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us. Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: It stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. All they shall speak and say unto thee, art thou also become weak as we? Art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: The worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee."

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; that made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house. But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet. Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: The seed of evildoers shall never be renowned” (Isaiah 14:3-20).

This Lucifer, turned evil, can be none other than Satan. God was, and still is, casting Satan out of His government. The earth became desolate through gross mismanagement. God had obviously given Satan charge over all the earth, but the devil's rebellious ways brought about a major catastrophe that made an absolute mess of the planet. God then re-created the world and removed Satan from his rulership and placed man in his stead. “And God blessed them [mankind], and God said unto them, be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: And have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth” (Genesis 1:28).

The devil still rules the world system, but he now does it in an indirect way——by influencing man. God had given us the history of the world, as recorded in Genesis, only from the time that man entered into the picture. What had taken place on the earth, before this time, is not fully revealed nor relevant to what God is doing with mankind.

Hey! Deade... PTL!
Agreed. I've supposed that the evil one lied to his one-third descendants, deceiving them into worshiping him. Then he went to the holy city where the Lord was the light of the world that then was and assassinated both Michael and Gabriel launching a war that destroyed that world. I say that they were assassinated because how else could the one-third under the evil one, hope to win a war against the two-thirds.

1 Cor 15: 46 "Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual."

So the angels were created mortal in a world without death by natural causes and those who rebelled were kicked out of their graves and became disembodied spirits given over to reprobate minds. The two-thirds that remained faithful to the Lord were resurrected and given spiritual bodies. For Adam to the end of the millennium should be about 7,000 years or a week to the Lord, if you will. Could the angels have been given 7,000 years, or week for themselves too?
Maranatha!

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Adam is the first person recorded in Jewish history, he was living in the Bronze Age. People were living earlier than the bronze age, for example in the ice ages.
"Jewish History"? It was 2,000 years before Abraham was born as a gentile and God established a race set apart from all the rest of the world, starting with Abraham. It is Jewish history without any Jews for 2,000 years, and then God created the Jewish race to show the gentiles (all the world) about him because they had all forgotten God and made up idols to act as God. It isn't Jewish history !!!!

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Since the sun wasn't created until the 4th day Jesus was the light for the first 3 days "I am the light of the world" "Before Abraham was, I AM"
So Pharaoh was before Abraham too...even before he was called Abraham.

"And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I am Pharaoh, ..." Gen 41:44

And Pharaoh called Joseph's name Zaphnath-paaneah; Gen 41:45

PS

Jan 11, 2013
"Jewish History"? It was 2,000 years before Abraham was born as a gentile and God established a race set apart from all the rest of the world, starting with Abraham. It is Jewish history without any Jews for 2,000 years, and then God created the Jewish race to show the gentiles (all the world) about him because they had all forgotten God and made up idols to act as God. It isn't Jewish history !!!!
By which I meant the history of the world according to the Jews.

Adam (the first human being) was living a long time before the father of Cain and Able.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hey! Deade... PTL!
Agreed. I've supposed that the evil one lied to his one-third descendants, deceiving them into worshiping him. Then he went to the holy city where the Lord was the light of the world that then was and assassinated both Michael and Gabriel launching a war that destroyed that world. I say that they were assassinated because how else could the one-third under the evil one, hope to win a war against the two-thirds.

1 Cor 15: 46 "Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual."

So the angels were created mortal in a world without death by natural causes and those who rebelled were kicked out of their graves and became disembodied spirits given over to reprobate minds. The two-thirds that remained faithful to the Lord were resurrected and given spiritual bodies. For Adam to the end of the millennium should be about 7,000 years or a week to the Lord, if you will. Could the angels have been given 7,000 years, or week for themselves too?
Maranatha!
Whoa! That is a lot of assumption of how angels came into being. We are kind of given that the angels were created just angels to serve. They will never be more than servants.

Heb. 1:14 "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?"

1 Cor. 6:3 "Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?"

I do not believe they were ever mortal. I believe they were created just like they are. :cool:

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Whoa! That is a lot of assumption of how angels came into being. We are kind of given that the angels were created just angels to serve. They will never be more than servants.

Heb. 1:14 "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?"

1 Cor. 6:3 "Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?"

I do not believe they were ever mortal. I believe they were created just like they are. :cool:

Hey! Deade... PTL! : )
Agreed, they are ministering spirits for the heirs of salvation.

Lucifer led the angelic host as the anointed cherub, who was created perfect in his ways, until iniquity was found in him.(Ezek 28: 13-19) Then in Is 14: 19, we see that he was cast out of his grave like an abominable branch.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
I would like to agree that Adam was the first living being;....but as in spiritually living.
All other hominids were existing as were animals, not spiritually alive/living.
The day Adam sinned, he then spiritually died.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hey! Deade... PTL! : )
Agreed, they are ministering spirits for the heirs of salvation.

Lucifer led the angelic host as the anointed cherub, who was created perfect in his ways, until iniquity was found in him.(Ezek 28: 13-19) Then in Is 14: 19, we see that he was cast out of his grave like an abominable branch.
Interesting take, I'll look into that some more. PTL! :)

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
the Most High does not have a beginning. it doesnt make sense to me that He only began making worlds when He made this one. what was He doing before this world?
This opens agreat debate... What did G-d do before Creation.... (that we have no answer to because He did not tall us)… But what would make you think He did nothing?

J

jaybird88

This opens agreat debate... What did G-d do before Creation.... (that we have no answer to because He did not tall us)… But what would make you think He did nothing?

Ecclesiastes 1:9
9 What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

IMO this world is just one of many worlds that have been going on and on forever. the world we are in now is the one that is relevant.