How to break it to the In-laws.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SheLovesJesus

Hey!
So my Fiancé grew up Catholic, his entire family is Catholic and his parents are serious Catholics. They have never liked me because I wasn't Catholic I was raised Nondenominational and Methodist. Well recently my Fiancé has decided that he doesn't want to be catholic anymore. He felt like even though growing up around it and going to mass 7 times a week it wasn't the right way. He is so happy and he's an even better man than he was before. He wants to tell his parents about not wanting to be catholic anymore, in hopes that they might start asking questions and see how much it has changed his life. He just doesn't know how to tell them, they're automatically going to assume he did it for me, which is NOT the case. Any advice would be helpful!! Thank you all so much. God Bless! :)

B

BarlyGurl

pray A LOT before hand!!!! regarding.. wisdom, good timing and soft hearts. And have an escape plan... I mean that sincerely... if things go awry you should have a rapid exit plan with something like... " I realize this is unexpected, we can discuss this more at a later date, after you have had some time to cool off or consider it more carefully" or (something like that). YOu already have concern they will "freakout" so make sure you both have a united front and exit with positive words if things escalate, then later you can go back and try again, remember they will feel betrayed and wounded... be sensitive to that. God Bless

K

kessy001

I agree with Barlygurl. Take time to pray about it. I belive the holyspirit would feel his mouth with the right words and grant him favour.

Shalom.

Oct 31, 2011
I think the best way is with honesty and frankness. Then simply trust God with what happens, and trust you can keep your joy in the Lord through everything. That is SO hard to do. You know of all that could happen that isn't right and would make it very hard. But it isn't right, anyway, and it is difficult right now. Sometimes trust and honesty is surprisingly effective. We use our imaginations to think of the bad things, we are told to use our minds to think of what is good in any situation. So often just keeping our minds centered on good possibilities brings about the good.

It is hard to let storms rage around us and keep our quiet trust and faith. It is what is required of us in all of life's storms.

I

intercessorginger

I believe in being honest and straight forward. I also do not believe in starting WW3 for no reason. Why not just attend the church you want to attend and deal with the questions as they arise. It seems it would be less stressful then having a big meeting and breaking it to them that way. My husband was from a Jewish background and was born again, he answered the questions as they arrived and on an individual basis and the family learned to accept it.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Ginger has a good point. A gradual transition might be easier for them to deal with. You do want to be on as good-of-terms as possible with your future in-laws!