How to identify soul verses spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 28, 2011
so. this is an area with a lot of gray. I know that the word of God is sharper than a two edged sword even dividing joints and marrow.

but how do you apply that to life personally?
today for example. i found that i was really angry. it popped up on a few occasions talking with friends and i caught myself thinking "truthers (;)) what are you so angry over?"
well it took about three times of me feeling that anger rise up in me before i went aside with God and asked him what was the name of this chip on my shoulder. i felt like he said rejection, but i'm not actually sure if that was him or my own mind.

either way. i then, not completely knowing what was up in the soul realm and why i felt so out of control, decided to pray in the spirit and rebuke and renounce a spirit of anger. i felt a bit better after doing that. but i do still feel there is something nagging at me.

for any of you who have explored inner healing areas, or any of you that are well versed in spiritual warfare, is there any advice you might have for someone who often gets confused about whether the battle is solely spiritual, partially spiritual, solely physical, or mostly in the heart/ life experiences arena.

or is life really just a mixed bag of nuts, with one poking and guessing and rebuking and claiming in all three areas of our person until we find the root of a problem?

any life stories in this area? any advice? i feel like life is a blind battle and i don't know who or what i am fighting.

K

Kyouken

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I'll give it a shot - John 14:1 says, "Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in Me." Jesus was telling His disciples this before He was going to die. It was a direct instruction from Jesus. He wouldn't tell His disciples to do something that was impossible. If Jesus told His disciples to do that in those circumstances, we can do that in any circumstance life throws at us. With Jesus, it's very possible to control our emotions, but it's also one of the hardest things you'll do in your life (I've still got a LONG way to go). As far as emotions go, there's that.

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
so. this is an area with a lot of gray. I know that the word of God is sharper than a two edged sword even dividing joints and marrow.

but how do you apply that to life personally?
today for example. i found that i was really angry. it popped up on a few occasions talking with friends and i caught myself thinking "truthers (;)) what are you so angry over?"
well it took about three times of me feeling that anger rise up in me before i went aside with God and asked him what was the name of this chip on my shoulder. i felt like he said rejection, but i'm not actually sure if that was him or my own mind.

either way. i then, not completely knowing what was up in the soul realm and why i felt so out of control, decided to pray in the spirit and rebuke and renounce a spirit of anger. i felt a bit better after doing that. but i do still feel there is something nagging at me.

for any of you who have explored inner healing areas, or any of you that are well versed in spiritual warfare, is there any advice you might have for someone who often gets confused about whether the battle is solely spiritual, partially spiritual, solely physical, or mostly in the heart/ life experiences arena.

or is life really just a mixed bag of nuts, with one poking and guessing and rebuking and claiming in all three areas of our person until we find the root of a problem?

any life stories in this area? any advice? i feel like life is a blind battle and i don't know who or what i am fighting.
Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

It is a continual battle in our minds from bad thoughts coming from principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this world and against spiritual wickedness in high places.

i have learned that satan can use people to try and get you down too.

Peace.

Sep 28, 2011
thank you both.
i look forward to obtaining victory in the area of controlling my emotions.

K

Kyouken

You'll be in my prayers :)

A

AnandaHya

Anger is not a spirit to be rebuked. It is an emotion that God gives you. You can be angry and still not sin. It is not a sin to be angry but to act upon the anger in a manner that God has not directed you to act. God says to meditate within your heart and be still. to allow God to place peace and joy in your heart through prayer and faith in HIM.

Moses was angry at the people for making the golden calf and he rebuked them. Anger itself is not sinful. It is not an evil spirit. it is an emotion.

What do you war against? lies and delusions that the Enemy seeks to enslave you in so that he might steal the things God has given you: love, peace, joy, patience, kindness to others, self control. lies and delusions he plants through thoughts that war against the knowledge of GOD and His divine plan and LOVE for the world. sometimes the devil whispers into your mind, sometimes he plants it into the minds of others around you,but he tempts you to turn from God to trust in other things instead of God. If he can not steal he will plant tares and attempt to build strongholds.

God commands us to make every thought captive to the obedience of Christ and to tear down any strongholds, any lies in our minds and in our lives that war against the knowledge of God. He gives us the weapons to do this in His Holy words. He helps us to divide the lies from the truth with His holy Spirit.

Psalm 4
4 Be angry, and do not sin.
Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah

5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
And put your trust in the LORD.

6 There are many who say,
“Who will show us any good?”
LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.
7 You have put gladness in my heart,

More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety

May God's peace and joy encompass you with the knowledge that in God you are safe and find rest.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
thank you guys :)

i like the balance that comes in reading all of your answers. i love hearing from people. and it's really helpful to hear multiple testimonies on this account:

anger IS a physical emotion,
but there are spiritual forces that influence our thoughts and thus our hearts.
i guess life IS a mixed bag of nuts, and everything- body, soul, AND spirit, must come into agreement with who God is for us to truly feel His Spirit reigning in our lives.

bless you guys.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
...i have learned that satan can use people to try and get you down too. Peace.
To that end christians can be the worst sometimes.

However, let us not magnify satans power, he can only do what God allows him to.

May God keep us.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
To that end christians can be the worst sometimes.

However, let us not magnify satans power, he can only do what God allows him to.

May God keep us.
I feel that people consider Christians as the worst because they hold them to a higher standard. What sort of Christian is going to join the Mafia and murder people for a living? That sphere is for agnostics or atheists and their ilk who live by their own moral standards. Living in China with so many atheists and agnostics I can tell you I truly miss fellow Christians who are generally more agreeable people even when arguing and bickering.

Probably about 90% of the people here are atheists. There are some really fun-loving and good-natured ones. I have two of these kind of friends. But they can also be easily used by Satan to deceive, cheat, manipulate, lie and sometimes just blow you off entirely without explanation. Life here is so worldly and vain. The atmosphere is very hollow. What you see is what you get. It's very predictable and drab, with the exception being those who try to deceive. I guess the best word that describes an atheistic society is "hopelessness". If something seems too good to be true then it probably is. For instance, there was a person who helped someone who was injured and then that injured person turned around and sued them. So one day a truck accidentally rolled over a 4 year-old and then slowly kept driving away. Then another truck rolled over that kid again without stopping and people walked by, looked at it and kept walking. No one helped. They were scared or indifferent or just didn't notice. What would a Christian do? Probably help that kid even if it meant being scammed or being sent to prison when wrongfully accused.

Anyway, the Bible says that once God breathed into Adam he became a living soul. So a soul is more than spirit. My best understanding of it is the flesh and the spirit. There is also the witch of Endor who communicated with the spirit of a holy man. So after the body dies the spirit lives on. But the two together make a soul. That's as best as I can explain it without really delving into it. So I imagine the two influence one-another even if feelings are physical. God is spirit but he can influence the physical environment around him. So why couldn't a spirit attack your emotions physically and this then be a sort of "spiritual attack"?

S

Steve4U

Again, I am enjoying the uplifting answers, and am grateful for the insight of all of you in Christ.

Just a little again, which may help someone to identify within themselves between their own spirit and soul.

The spirit is God-concious,

while the soul is self-concious.

With faith in Jesus Christ, the spirit has been redeemed, the soul is being redeemed, and the body will be redeemed.

Much love in God to you all,

Sep 28, 2011
Again, I am enjoying the uplifting answers, and am grateful for the insight of all of you in Christ.

Just a little again, which may help someone to identify within themselves between their own spirit and soul.

The spirit is God-concious,

while the soul is self-concious.

With faith in Jesus Christ, the spirit has been redeemed, the soul is being redeemed, and the body will be redeemed.

Much love in God to you all,

:) love right back to you!

Sep 28, 2011
Anyway, the Bible says that once God breathed into Adam he became a living soul. So a soul is more than spirit. My best understanding of it is the flesh and the spirit. There is also the witch of Endor who communicated with the spirit of a holy man. So after the body dies the spirit lives on. But the two together make a soul. That's as best as I can explain it without really delving into it. So I imagine the two influence one-another even if feelings are physical. God is spirit but he can influence the physical environment around him. So why couldn't a spirit attack your emotions physically and this then be a sort of "spiritual attack"?
i'm sorry you are surrounded by so much darkness where you are. and that is HORRRRRRIBLE about the child being run over.
thanks for your thoughts, friend. you're right. you're very right.
i think what gets me is a little is never enough. (or at least never seems to be) a little bit of a fight never completely solves the problem, you know? prayer is good- it helps, but it often does not erase my negative emotions, only gives me perspective over them. i feel like.... there's something i can't see that keeps me in a problem, even with prayer. i don't know. i can't explain it. it probably is spiritual and i just need to fight harder. but then again, i used to have a hormonal imbalance and my emotions were simply horrible, and i was beyond saving.

so. it's probably all factors combined. soul. spirit. body.