How to live in contentment &joy in difficult times?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
We all have difficult things to handle in our lives. God asks us to be content, and give burdens to Him to handle. Still, we must spend our days coping with them. This difficulty seems overwhelming at times.

I have lots of things I do to cope. There is a bird outside my window who reminds me that God takes care of even that bird. He is so cocky and joyful, he amuses me. I have the Word that makes God’s voice near and dear. I have blessings, too, to thank my Lord for. I look for anything I can do to help make the situation easier.

I am comforted by the story of the exile of the Hebrews to Babylon. God wanted them to accept and learn from the exile, and God told them if they did that they could prosper there. Daniel did that.

But this is difficult. I would so like to hear from all of you with how you cope with difficult things to live with.

T

Trudes

Usually when I am laying in bed, I like to just talk to Him in my heart. I feel much at peace when I tell Him about any challenge I may be facing for that day and ask Him to bless me. I also like to write to Him in a diary . Sometimes when I go back and read my diary, I can see how He helped me through many trials and answered many prayers. This in turn increase my faith in Him and gives me hope and comfort. However, when I am busy with the cares of this life and I make no time for prayer, reading the bible or even to just talk to Him for a few minutes that is usually the time when I find trouble and have a hard time coping. We really need Him and cannot survive this world without Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tinylady84

I try to help think of others who are worse off and this helps me shift my focus to what I am grateful for.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I like to get up early and get into a good inspirational devotional book which is, of course, based on the Bible. There's some really smart Christian teachers who have also read a lot...they can really bring depth to bible teachings. I also take notes on what really stands out. Later, I reread my notes. This helps me to remember what I'm reading.

Also, I've just discovered the Bott Radio Network. Christian programming can be downloaded (audio) from the internet with lessons from Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, and lots more!( Christian Talk Radio | Bott Radio Network ) There's also pandora.com where you can download music you like to listen to.

Do you attend Church? Fellowship with other Christians is a must. I'm working on that myself but my situation depends on what my husband wants to do and he's not cooperating with me ;).

Oct 31, 2011
I like to get up early and get into a good inspirational devotional book which is, of course, based on the Bible. There's some really smart Christian teachers who have also read a lot...they can really bring depth to bible teachings. I also take notes on what really stands out. Later, I reread my notes. This helps me to remember what I'm reading.

Also, I've just discovered the Bott Radio Network. Christian programming can be downloaded (audio) from the internet with lessons from Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, and lots more!( Christian Talk Radio | Bott Radio Network ) There's also pandora.com where you can download music you like to listen to.

Do you attend Church? Fellowship with other Christians is a must. I'm working on that myself but my situation depends on what my husband wants to do and he's not cooperating with me ;).
Isn't it wonderful what surrounding yourself with anything of the Lord can do!

I am nearly blind, so go only anywhere when someone takes me and that isn't often, but I savor any contact with Christians. I watch for any way the Lord can use me to uplift others, it is a wonderful help for me, I can only hope the Lord uses me.

My husband is gone now, but he let me go to church, he just didn't want to go with me and insisted I limit my time there. I left it in the Lord's hands, but one day he mentioned not liking church to me, and I responded in such a way he heard the Lord speak to him about it. He didn't become a mature Christian, but he let God in his life. There is hope for spouses that are unequally yoked! You will have my prayers.

Thanks you all who have helped in helping me cope!

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Isn't it wonderful what surrounding yourself with anything of the Lord can do!

I am nearly blind, so go only anywhere when someone takes me and that isn't often, but I savor any contact with Christians. I watch for any way the Lord can use me to uplift others, it is a wonderful help for me, I can only hope the Lord uses me.

My husband is gone now, but he let me go to church, he just didn't want to go with me and insisted I limit my time there. I left it in the Lord's hands, but one day he mentioned not liking church to me, and I responded in such a way he heard the Lord speak to him about it. He didn't become a mature Christian, but he let God in his life. There is hope for spouses that are unequally yoked! You will have my prayers.

Thanks you all who have helped in helping me cope!

Thank you for your prayers! I think Paul talked about being unequally yoked in terms of the believer somehow sanctifying the unbeliever :). That brings a lot of comfort.

If you want to go to church there are people who would be thrilled to come and get you....I would do it if possible :0). How about calling the church and asking for a ride...they'll get you there. Sometimes, we need to be bold in pursuing what God has for us. I'm working on that myself. Similar to the Israelites not entering the Promised Land because of the 'giants'. God didn't drop the Promised Land in their laps; they needed to do something to get it. Or Jacob wrestling the Angel for a blessing. This may not be your situation but it's helpful to me right now :).

Oct 31, 2011
I had a conference with my pastor today, asking for help in coping. I'd like to share what he said, it has been additional help.

Part of my problem is a relationship problem. My thoughts of it was mostly "ain't it awful" thoughts. Pastor said to use Num 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

As I send them this blessing many times a day, it even blesses me. This scripture chases the other thoughts about it away. I have done everything I can think of to repair it, all that is left is to let it alone except for this blessing for them.

He also gave me these scriptures to read daily.

Phip 4:6-8 Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (7) And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (8) Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Pastor pointed out that we live in a world where bad things happen, they just do. I had been feeling that God was testing me, was trying to shape me up. Pastor pointed out that God loves me, blesses me, and wants only good things for me.

E

Eva1218

What helps me get through difficult times is just looking over my life and seeing how GOD has helped me time and time again. Communicating with GOD about any and everything not just my troubles but good things as well. Opening up a window and just letting the sun in, playing Gospel music or something soothing, sitting on the porch and just listening to whats around me, talking to family and friends and just enjoying life's little pleasures.

I pray things begin to brighten up for you, I pray a special blessing on your eyesight and for GOD's Strength in you time of weakness.

Blessings!!!!!!!