How would you react if a person were hurting your family right in front of you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tonydisciple

This is something that could very well happen. What if one day your shopping with your wife and kids, then all the sudden a man starts beating them for no reason. What would you do?? Would you go crazy and swing at the guy or would you be passive and just push him off and make sure he stopped hurting your family?

When it comes to the sermon on the mount by Jesus, he said we should not seek revenge, but that we should leave it to the magistrate to impute justice and punishment. But does anyone here, especially men worry that this could happen to their loved ones. Does anyone often think what they would do in a situation like that?
What if someone was sexually assulting your loved ones, honestly could you hold back your rage? If that happened to my family, im afraid id go absolutely crazy at the guy. But when i think back to what Jesus said, it makes me feel like im not allowed to exercise my own wrath upon the criminal for harming my family, and it is so hard. I know God will punish those evil doers, but what about the meantime while they are on earth. What if the police do nothing? What if they get off scott free? What if there is a risk they will do it again?

People must realise this is a reality in countries where christians are persecuted, and also this could be a reality for the current prosperous nations in the not too distant future.

If anyone can tell me how you would respond or if you have been in this situation, then please reply to this. God Bless

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I would protect my family by any means neccasary

Aug 2, 2009
Psalm 82:4 NASB
Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

A person needs to defend their family. There's is nothing in the bible that forbids anyone from defending their family. Afterwards, once the person is brought to justice then healing and forgiveness can begin.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Any means necessary though it will probably be very very bad for them

E

episcopotic

Christians throughout history have submitted to this and we call them martyrs and, generally, look up to them. Or used to. Times have changed and submission no longer appears to be a valid expression of the faith. Anything other than common sense self-defense is naive.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I actually dont care if its my family or not, seeing anyone beat anyone is worth intervention

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Let them have it Tony. You are required by The New Testament to protect your family. Your adrenal glands are given to you by God.

T

Tonydisciple

all you guys are right, we would do anything to protect our family and the innocent, even if that means killing the evil doer, if its necessary.

can you believe though there are preachers, pastors out there who advise total passiveness. Yes even to the point where they say that if an intruder broke into your home and was raping and murdering your wife and kids, we would just have to turn the other cheek!! Unbelievable, i have no respect for such teachings and ultimately believe this comes from a 'religous spirit.' In other words, its a sin to stop the evil doers from their preoccupation in raping and murdering your family!!

I am disgusted at these teachings but the sad thing is, many christians seem to adhere to this method of response.
this is the typical thought pattern of a christian who has been blinded by false teachings in regard to this subject. exmple, this is how they think...." hmmm, being in the army is a sin, cos you shoot people; owning a gun is sinful because it means you wanna hurt people. we always have to turn the other cheek, even if theyre beating me in the face. I would never do anything to hurt anyone even if it means theyre trying to murder me. yea, im think Jesus says we should let everyone just bully us and be a doormat for everyone to abuse, thats what Jesus wanted." --- honestly this is the thought process of some christians out there. no kidding.

we as christians should be strong, we should demand justice, and protect our families and the innocent. We should be willing to fight for our countries assuming we are in the right. We are not doormats! We are sons and daughters of the living God.

Oct 31, 2011
God is love, and we are to live under the law of love. We are to copy our God. Every law, everything God has done, has been to protect, love, and care for those in God’s family. We are to do the same.

To stand by while someone is harming anyone in our family, or in the family of the kingdom, is not following the law of love. Even to allow a person to live free after it has been proven they are capable of killing is not following this law.

P

psychomom

If ever someone were harming one of my children (or ANY child), I would do whatever was necessary to stop them. (most ladies will!)
And there's something oddly comforting about knowing there are good men in the world who would do the same.
So...thanks, guys!
~ellie