hurting our little christian feelers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

Why is it that unbelievers think we’re going to get all rattled, hide in a corner somewhere and cry if they hurt our little Christian feelers with their silly judgments and insults? Is it the limited intelligence of man, pridefulness and/or arrogance that leads them to think this? I wonder sometimes if they think we should be like them in cherishing so deeply what others think of them because they, unlike the Christian (who knows Christ treasures us so much He died for us), see no value in themselves? I wish they knew their value and His love, don’t you?

I know it may sound a bit arrogant, but I have to admit that this caused me to chuckle a bit this morning as I read a young man’s online rant against Christianity just minutes after I received a job related death threat (which happens on a nearly weekly basis). Do unbelievers not understand that we are willing to stand for Christ even unto the death because we know the very worst that will happen is that we will be absent from the body, but present with the Lord? I’ve been shot at, stabbed and blown up…so…please don’t hurt the last little feeler I have left…*sniffle* That’s so silly to me.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
~ Matthew 10:12

But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
~ Luke 12:5

There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor? ~ James 4:12

J

Jullianna

If it seems like I'm a little tired of listening to those today who think "christian" is interchangeable with "doormat", you'd be right :D

I would urge them to research the word "meekness". It's not what they think. Might not even be what some christians think, huh?

I feel sooo much better now. :D Have an amazing evening y'all!

S

SpaceCowboy

Yeah I hear ya. Fact of the matter is they DON'T understand it one bit. It's foolishness to them. Words don't change that. The way you say those words though, is what can. The more gracious we are, the less power they have, and the more the light of Christ exposes them. That's why they hate it. I've slowly learned to let any unbeliever, no matter how bitter and rude they are, just say what they will. I know the truth. I know they're wrong. And I don't got to throw hell or this and that in there face to validate that to myself. (having an athiest older brother will teach you ALOT lol) They can say whatever they want to keep hiding in the dark and justify their flesh all they want and it still won't even come close to standing up against the grace of God.

L

Liz01

Im not sure what this thread is about, maybe im not understanding good (maybe i need more history of what is happening to you Julliana)
I have seen a lot of attacks, insults and silly judgments against christianity from unbelievers and sometimes i feel upset about it but at the end i know that they dont understand what to be a real christian is, they dont know the strenght tha God gives us and why we do most of the things we do because they dont have the spirit of God inside of them , so i feel sometimes very sad about them because they dont know what real love is.

And about meekness, I have tried to search before inside the bible the correct way to answer of those kind of things and attacks (to not look as a "doormat" lol, but i have only found these:

Proverbs 9:7-8 "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse. Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

Proverbs 21:11 "When a mocker is punished, the simple gain wisdom; by paying attention to the wise they get knowledge"

Proverbs 22:10 "Drive out the mocker, and out goes strife; quarrels and insults are ended. "

So, as i understand, only being an authority where the mocker is, you can be able (and being careful) to change that.

Because when we are not, then God is the only one can punish them
Proverbs 3:34 "He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed."

Aug 2, 2009
I don't have little christian feelers. I used to think christians were kooky. I do have death threat feelers though! :eek:

J

Jullianna

Yeah I hear ya. Fact of the matter is they DON'T understand it one bit. It's foolishness to them. Words don't change that. The way you say those words though, is what can. The more gracious we are, the less power they have, and the more the light of Christ exposes them. That's why they hate it. I've slowly learned to let any unbeliever, no matter how bitter and rude they are, just say what they will. I know the truth. I know they're wrong. And I don't got to throw hell or this and that in there face to validate that to myself. (having an athiest older brother will teach you ALOT lol) They can say whatever they want to keep hiding in the dark and justify their flesh all they want and it still won't even come close to standing up against the grace of God.

I agree that we shouldn't respond in kind, but only with reason, wisdom and love. However, true love has to be tough sometimes, doesn't it?

It must be heartbreaking for you to know someone you love doesn't know the Lord. I pray that God will soften his heart and use you to lead him into Truth.

J

Jullianna

Im not sure what this thread is about, maybe im not understanding good (maybe i need more history of what is happening to you Julliana)
I have seen a lot of attacks, insults and silly judgments against christianity from unbelievers and sometimes i feel upset about it but at the end i know that they dont understand what to be a real christian is, they dont know the strenght tha God gives us and why we do most of the things we do because they dont have the spirit of God inside of them , so i feel sometimes very sad about them because they dont know what real love is.

And about meekness, I have tried to search before inside the bible the correct way to answer of those kind of things and attacks (to not look as a "doormat" lol, but i have only found these:

Proverbs 9:7-8 "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse. Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

Proverbs 21:11 "When a mocker is punished, the simple gain wisdom; by paying attention to the wise they get knowledge"

Proverbs 22:10 "Drive out the mocker, and out goes strife; quarrels and insults are ended. "

So, as i understand, only being an authority where the mocker is, you can be able (and being careful) to change that.

Because when we are not, then God is the only one can punish them
Proverbs 3:34 "He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed."
Sorry I made myself as clear as mud, Liz :) We're kinda saying the same thing as far as mockers are concerned. As christians, we recognize that sort of foolishness for what it is and realize how blind people are.

I'm also talking about something else though: Boldly proclaiming the truth as we have been told to do, not cowering in the corner. We were never commanded to do that. And not JUST proclaiming it, but living it.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Liz01

Sorry I made myself as clear as mud, Liz :) We're kinda saying the same thing as far as mockers are concerned. As christians, we recognize that sort of foolishness for what it is and realize how blind people are.

I'm also talking about something else though: Boldly proclaiming the truth as we have been told to do, not cowering in the corner. We were never commanded to do that. And not JUST proclaiming it, but living it.

Jul 25, 2005
Seriously, I grew up in the NY public school system. Internet trolls are nothing.

J

Jullianna

LOL Ritter!

Unfortunately, those attacking the faith are not limited to showing up on our computer monitors. Some even mean us bodily harm.

Jul 25, 2005
Try to live out your faith and you will be faced with the odd paradox of gaining many friends and enemies all at once.

L

Liz01

Try to live out your faith and you will be faced with the odd paradox of gaining many friends and enemies all at once.
very true......

J

Jullianna

I completely agree, Ritter. Jesus warned that we would be reviled for for our faith, didn't He? We're not here to be liked or to be popular. We're here to love and stand for His Truth.

A lot of people think if they keep their mouths shut they'll be left alone. That's baloney. satan will seek to destroy you and yours whether you are silent or not, won't he? We have breastplates of righteousness according to the scriptures, not butt plates for retreat.

God is really speaking to my heart about this. I was reading the Word this morning and read what Peter said to the priests who were threatening them and what Martin Luther said. It really encouraged me, so I thought I'd share:

ACTS 5: 17 Then the high priest and all his associates, who were members of the party of the Sadducees, were filled with jealousy. 18 They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail. 19 But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. 20 “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.”
21 At daybreak they entered the temple courts, as they had When the high priest and his associates arrived, they called together the Sanhedrin—the full assembly of the elders of Israel—and sent to the jail for the apostles. 22 But on arriving at the jail, the officers did not find them there. So they went back and reported, 23 “We found the jail securely locked, with the guards standing at the doors; but when we opened them, we found no one inside.” 24 On hearing this report, the captain of the temple guard and the chief priests were at a loss, wondering what this might lead to.
25 Then someone came and said, “Look! The men you put in jail are standing in the temple courts teaching the people.” 26 At that, the captain went with his officers and brought the apostles. They did not use force, because they feared that the people would stone them. been told, and began to teach the people. 27 The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28 “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.”
29 Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings! 30 The God of our ancestors raised Jesus from the dead—whom you killed by hanging him on a cross. 31 God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might bring Israel to repentance and forgive their sins. 32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“I cannot choose but adhere to the word of God, which has possession of my conscience; nor can I possibly, nor will I even make any recantation, since it is neither safe nor honest to act contrary to conscience! Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so help me God! Amen.”
― Martin Luther

S

SpaceCowboy

I agree that we shouldn't respond in kind, but only with reason, wisdom and love. However, true love has to be tough sometimes, doesn't it?

It must be heartbreaking for you to know someone you love doesn't know the Lord. I pray that God will soften his heart and use you to lead him into Truth.
That's very kind. Thank you :)
__
Yeah no doubt. True love requires strength and courage. Strength to express it properly to where people are edified, and the courage to do so in the midst of enemies or naysayers. It's anything but being a doormat. It's being a light in a dark place. Christianity isn't for cowards. It's a life of commitment, repentance, discipline and love. No higher calling on the planet.