I bought a nestle aland New Testament.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Reformedjason

Any of you textual critics use one? I have found the textual variant apparatus to be very cool. Any tips on learning greek?

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Yes. I have used it for many years as well as other texts. I find it quite reliable. If you are just beginning to study Greek and are doing so on you own, I would recommend you purchase a Greek grammar. One I would recommend is Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by William D. Mounce. There are a number of good ones from which to choose. It might also help to have a copy of Vine's Concise Dictionary. It is a very helpful tool for the beginner. These can be purchased on Amazon or from any local Bible Book Store. You can often find them in used book stores that carry a lot of bibles and biblical aids. I would not worry about purchasing a Greek Lexicon unless you just want to. These are in abundance on the internet and easily accessed. I would recommend the Bible Hub website by Biblios. I use this one myself and I prefer it to all the others. If your understanding of Greek is more advanced than the beginner level I would recommend Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics by Daniel B. Wallace. You can also create an account on the B-Greek website. It is a free site. This site has many fine and reliable Greek scholars available to answer any question you may have concerning the Greek language. It even has a link for beginners who have questions. It also has instructive links to help you in your study of the language. [h=3][/h]

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Any of you textual critics use one? I have found the textual variant apparatus to be very cool. Any tips on learning greek?
**Tangent Alert**

I saw the word "nestle" and I thought you were talking about a "Nestle" candy bar. Needless to say, I was disappointed.:(

**End of Tangent**

G

GraceBeUntoYou

Yes I do use Nestle-Aland, which version did you purchase? The newest edition (NA28), or the previous (NA27)?

A couple of suggested books if you want to learn NT Greek: Basics of Biblical Greek (Mounce), Basics of New Testament Syntax (Wallace), and New Testament Greek for Beginners (Machen). Learn the basics before you even try any intermediate literature (i.e., Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics), you'll get completely lost, because most of these literatures assume you already know the basics.

Last edited:
R

Reformedjason

I was at the Dallas Theological Seminary book store and was told that some of the professors still use the 27. I also heard that the words that were changed in the 28 were in the footnote of the 27. Supposedly the changes were only in the catholic epistles. The 27 has a word for word interlinear ( which I also bought) and was a little cheaper. Thanks for the info.

G

GraceBeUntoYou

I was at the Dallas Theological Seminary book store and was told that some of the professors still use the 27. I also heard that the words that were changed in the 28 were in the footnote of the 27. Supposedly the changes were only in the catholic epistles. The 27 has a word for word interlinear ( which I also bought) and was a little cheaper. Thanks for the info.
NA27 is a solid edition, but yes, there were changes in the NA28 due to (a) new mss discoveries in recent years, and (b) new textual methods (i.e., Coherence-Based Genealogical Method). The NA28 text marks a departure from the traditional methodology of textual criticism (i.e., Local Text-Type Theory).

R

Reformedjason

NA27 is a solid edition, but yes, there were changes in the NA28 due to (a) new mss discoveries in recent years, and (b) new textual methods (i.e., Coherence-Based Genealogical Method). The NA28 text marks a departure from the traditional methodology of textual criticism (i.e., Local Text-Type Theory).

Thank you very much for your help.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Good for you!

Mounce is excellent, that is what we used in my Seminary for first year Greek. Stick with it. Make vocabulary cards and also get the CD and listen to the pronunciations a LOT. When you are driving, when you are walking, etc. Really learn the language like you are going to speak it, and it will mean a lot more to you.

When you have finished Mounce, a good bridging text is A Summer Greek Reader, by Goodrich and Diewert, which goes through the Biblical texts, and adds a lot of vocab. as well as putting the translations into simple English.

If you have trouble, you might want to access a seminary and see if you can audit courses. A lot of people have issues with noun cases and the extensive verb charts. Participles was my nemesis, I had never studied them in any other language. I did figure it out, though! If you build slowly, you should be ok. I love Greek!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I find there are some excellent computer programs dealing with the various collections of manuscripts such as Bibleworks and Logos/Original Language package.

R

Reformedjason

Yes. I have used it for many years as well as other texts. I find it quite reliable. If you are just beginning to study Greek and are doing so on you own, I would recommend you purchase a Greek grammar. One I would recommend is Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by William D. Mounce. There are a number of good ones from which to choose. It might also help to have a copy of Vine's Concise Dictionary. It is a very helpful tool for the beginner. These can be purchased on Amazon or from any local Bible Book Store. You can often find them in used book stores that carry a lot of bibles and biblical aids. I would not worry about purchasing a Greek Lexicon unless you just want to. These are in abundance on the internet and easily accessed. I would recommend the Bible Hub website by Biblios. I use this one myself and I prefer it to all the others. If your understanding of Greek is more advanced than the beginner level I would recommend Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics by Daniel B. Wallace. You can also create an account on the B-Greek website. It is a free site. This site has many fine and reliable Greek scholars available to answer any question you may have concerning the Greek language. It even has a link for beginners who have questions. It also has instructive links to help you in your study of the language. [h=3][/h]
I am going to have to check out your recommendations. Thanks

G

GraceBeUntoYou

I too would not invest in lexical resources unless BAGD or BADG (yes, there is a difference) were an option.