I Corinthians 13

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

charisenexcelcis

If I speak with the languages of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I prophesy and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed others and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. (verses 1-3)

There are things that people try to substitute for love. This passage points out three: false signs, false ministry, and false sacrifice.
Signs: The purpose of signs is to prove the gospel to the world, to demonstrate the love of God, not to become the center of attention. Love is the ultimate sign of the work of God in any person, not signs, however supernatural.
Ministry: All ministry is love demonstrated. We need to be known not for how we performed, but in how we loved.
Sacrifice: The sacrifice that we are asked to give is not a matter of drama. One of the impressive things about the story of the crucifixion is the simple love that is poured out throughout it. Jesus did not make "drama". Too often we wear our sacrifices and persicutions like an piece of jewelry. Sacrifice means nothing if it is motivated by a love for drama rather than a love for people.

Love is patient, love is kind, is not jealous; love does not brag, is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong, does not rejoice in unfighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. (verses 4-6)

It is easy to be intimidated by this list. It is not a checklist, and trying to use it as a checklist will backfire. I believe that the best way to take this into your heart is to meditate on how God has demostrated this in our own lives. I cannot express to you how evil and selfish I was when He reached out to me, the times that I struck out at Him, the times my heart was unfaithful. Yet He has poured out His grace upon me, patiently and kindly leading me. He bore every blow that I deal Him, and never held it against me.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But if there are prophecies, they will come to an end; if there is glossalia, it will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For our knowledge is only partial and our prophecies incomplete, but when perfect love comes, these partial things will cease.

Perfect love needs no garnishments. None of the tools we use for ministry and relationship add one thing to perfect love. And there absence would not subtract one thing from perfect love.

When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I outgrew the childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face-to-face; now I know in part, but them I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known. But, even now, faith, hope, and love, these three things will remain; but the greater of these is love.

I have a responsibility to put aside immaturity and grow toward perfect love. All of the giftings, all of the accomplishments, all of the sacrifices that manifest in my life, will not replace love, perfect love.

I would like to hear what you have to say on the issue of perfect love.

S

Saint

Love is what saved Christians in the first place. It's the unifying force of all other virtues (colossians 3:12-14). And according to the above the op, it is the most important gift, irreplaceable, even to other good things.

Feb 9, 2010
That is good.

The Bible says if we do not have love we are nothing.

Love is the greatest asset a Christian can have that is above how much knowledge we have in the Bible.

The world is motivated by selfishness and arrogance.God's kingdom is love.

Love is not selfish.Love is not arrogant.Love does not think an evil thought.Love is the fulfilling of God's law.The greatest one of faith,hope,and charity,is charity,which is love in action.

When we come to God we are learning how to love,and it is perfect love for God and people that give us salvation,which we can only do by the Holy Spirit.

Matt

L

lighthousejohn

If I speak with the languages of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I prophesy and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed others and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. (verses 1-3)

There are things that people try to substitute for love. This passage points out three: false signs, false ministry, and false sacrifice.
Signs: The purpose of signs is to prove the gospel to the world, to demonstrate the love of God, not to become the center of attention. Love is the ultimate sign of the work of God in any person, not signs, however supernatural.
Ministry: All ministry is love demonstrated. We need to be known not for how we performed, but in how we loved.
Sacrifice: The sacrifice that we are asked to give is not a matter of drama. One of the impressive things about the story of the crucifixion is the simple love that is poured out throughout it. Jesus did not make "drama". Too often we wear our sacrifices and persicutions like an piece of jewelry. Sacrifice means nothing if it is motivated by a love for drama rather than a love for people.

Love is patient, love is kind, is not jealous; love does not brag, is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong, does not rejoice in unfighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. (verses 4-6)

It is easy to be intimidated by this list. It is not a checklist, and trying to use it as a checklist will backfire. I believe that the best way to take this into your heart is to meditate on how God has demostrated this in our own lives. I cannot express to you how evil and selfish I was when He reached out to me, the times that I struck out at Him, the times my heart was unfaithful. Yet He has poured out His grace upon me, patiently and kindly leading me. He bore every blow that I deal Him, and never held it against me.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But if there are prophecies, they will come to an end; if there is glossalia, it will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For our knowledge is only partial and our prophecies incomplete, but when perfect love comes, these partial things will cease.

Perfect love needs no garnishments. None of the tools we use for ministry and relationship add one thing to perfect love. And there absence would not subtract one thing from perfect love.

When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I outgrew the childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face-to-face; now I know in part, but them I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known. But, even now, faith, hope, and love, these three things will remain; but the greater of these is love.

I have a responsibility to put aside immaturity and grow toward perfect love. All of the giftings, all of the accomplishments, all of the sacrifices that manifest in my life, will not replace love, perfect love.

I would like to hear what you have to say on the issue of perfect love.
Dave,

The concept of perfect love is subjective when expressed by human definition, so we need to have a benchmark to compare it to. For us believers, that benchmark is Jesus. He established his criteria for us in Matthew 22 "36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

If everything we do is filtered through those verses (we either do it because we love God or because we love our neighbor), then we will walk in God's grace and show His love.

In Christ,
John