I feel spent.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2021
I feel like a piece of dry toast. Nothing seems to bring me joy lately. I pray and ask God for help but feel like nothing helps. I just want to quit my job, leave everything behind and run away. All the time. I am always stressed. Can anybody provide any insight? Thanks

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello Timothy :) Always nice to see you, although I am sorry to hear you are so stressed all the time.
It sounds like you need a break. How is your mother? Is she doing any better since your dad passed away?

Walkingman

Oct 31, 2022
I feel like a piece of dry toast. Nothing seems to bring me joy lately. I pray and ask God for help but feel like nothing helps. I just want to quit my job, leave everything behind and run away. All the time. I am always stressed. Can anybody provide any insight? Thanks
Hard to answer with so little to go on. The death of a parent is difficult enough without feeling responsible for the other's well-being. Being torn between some ministry and home troubles would make it even more troubling. For some things in life there are no answers. The book of Job related this some 3500 years ago. The best we can do is to follow what we know is right, and trust God for the rest. Sometimes it seems every dawn is but the promise of another dark night to come. But each night is also the promise of a new day dawning.
Prayer is a way we can take some responsible while leaving the matter up to God as well. Pray. Breathe. And sense God's presence with you. Psalm 8:3 and John 3:17 are among my favorites. Recite songs of praise and affirmation. Psalms of comfort. Recognize David was on the run in the Psalms. Joseph though chosen spent 13 years in jail. Paul was not only abused by the Sanhedrin and Roman officials, bearing imprisonment, beatings and even stoning, but was tormented by a messenger of Satan. Try to recall when God has made His presence known to you.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It's depression.
Depression can be caused by a variety of things, some of which can be fairly easy to resolve and some that may never fully resolve.
The first step is to look at when it started and see if there are any coinciding events in your life. Sometimes depression can be a symptom of grief or excess stress. If you see a connection then time should help, or seeing the resolution of the stressful events.

If you see no such connection, or if it has simply been an issue for a long time, then it may be time to get seen by a doctor.
Having them do bloodwork to check for low levels, hormones or even testing for food allergies.
Supposing physical causes are ruled out next is seeing a mental health professional.
Personally I suggest a counsellor over psychiatrist or psychologist. Counsellors are often people who have experienced mental illness themselves, and thus have a more personal understanding of what you're dealing with, despite being less educated.
A good counsellor will help teach you better coping mechanisms as well as diagnose the mental/emotional root of your disorder. Then help you take steps to improve or resolve the issue.
Medication should only be considered if your condition is severe enough to warrant it. Or short term to ease the symptoms so it's easier to handle the difficulty of working through your issues.

Things you can do until then is start learning about depression, what it's symptoms are and how it affects people. As a person whose had it for 30 years learning more about it was one of my best ways of helping to cope with the things I felt.
Also, and this sounds very cliché, but theure actually the best steps you can take regardless of the cause.
Eat healthy.
Exercise regularly.
Be on a regular sleep pattern, and sleep at night if at all possible.

I once had a friend who was depressed. He had aspirations in his life but could not motivate himself to chase his dreams, depressed. I gave him those three suggestions. He disappeared shortly thereafter, but he reappeared a few months later. He took my advice and had already applied for the Air Force (his childhood dream) and he said he felt like a new man.
Of course it doesn't work that well for everyone but is an example that it does make a difference.

Anyways, hope this helps.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I just want to quit my job, leave everything behind and run away.
This is probably the worst thing you can do right now. However, are you able to take a break from work? This may sound cliche, but try to focus on your blessings everyday.

F

Forever_Saved

Hi, I just read in the comments that you lost you dad, I’m so sorry about that and can’t imagine the pain and void you must be feeling.
I’d say you should allow yourself to grieve and then move on.
Take a break from work if necessary, go to another country or city, start a new hobby or something you always wanted to do.
I know saying these things are easier than doing them so don’t be hard on yourself.
You keep praying and seeking God, being in his presence wholeheartedly and regularly is key.
The devil wants you to remain in the grieve forever and not find joy anymore. Keep that in mind and remember that the Spirit we have inside us is stronger any kind of spirit of depression.
God has given us authority and dominion so I trust God that you will come out of this and be a testimony to others.
Get some sun as well, going for a nice walk with the first sunlight of the day is healing!
Hope I helped, God bless.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
If you are someone who tries to do things in your own strength or tries to have control over your life God may be stepping back and allowing you to wear yourself out till you come to the realisation that you without him you can truly do nothing. He may be teaching you to come to the end of yourself. I listened to this the other day and thought it was good. It goes for about 45 min I dont know why it says over an hour for and it takes a little while until it gets good. I have no idea who the speaker is but the title caught my eye so I listened to it and found it to be encouraging. You have to wind it to the beginning, for some reason it is posting about 15 minutes begun.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I earnestly feel for you and the answer is sometimes the very thing believers don’t really want to hear. Sometimes God will appear to move away from His people and often this is accompanied by God's silence. But God has great purpose in this and it is designed for our good.
Our affections for God are far less than what they ought to be. By withdrawing Himself from us, and consequently His blessings, this unsettles us. We begin to long after God and our sense of His value to us is enlarged. We become more aware of our need of God as things which formerly brought us satisfaction no longer satisfy.
We were never meant to live apart from God. Even before sin, God walked daily in the garden with Adam and Eve. How much more do we need it.
I have found the book of Habakkuk very instructional in this regard. Habakkuk lived in a time of great injustice and made petition of God. He began by questioning and complaining, to listening and learning, to praying and worshipping.
It's interesting that all this occurred independently of his circumstances. His circumstances actually worsened.
It would be worth your while to see what Habakkuk learned.
I'll be praying for you.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I have found the book of Habakkuk very instructional in this regard. Habakkuk lived in a time of great injustice and
made petition of God. He began by questioning and complaining, to listening and learning, to praying and worshipping.
It's interesting that all this occurred independently of his circumstances. His circumstances actually worsened.
It would be worth your while to see what Habakkuk learned.
I'll be praying for you.

Habakkuk 1:3-4