I need advice ASAP! It's something about dream catchers.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

wanderer6059

Oct 27, 2013
I asked a friend of mine what she would like me to make for her as a birthday present because I'm good at making stuff and prefer it to most store bought presents and she answered saying 'a dream catcher'. And she is a reaaaally close friend of mine and I got all excited about doing it for her and gave her the idea that I will and then I realized what a dream catcher really is and did more research on it and began to get worried.

For those of you who don't know what a dream catcher is it's a beautifully crafted Native American handicraft which despite it's overall aesthetic appeal is actually based on some Native American spider god and is supposed to catch evil dreams and good dreams and filter out only the good and it could become a gateway for evil spirits now that I think about it because the Native American tradition is based a lot on spirits and stuff. My problem is that I don't know what to do now! Do I make it for her or not??

Do note that on one hand she's not Christian and not much into any god while on the other hand I might feel guilty if I gave her something related to a pagan god being a Christian myself.
put a cross on it...

Monnkai

Mar 18, 2014
I asked a friend of mine what she would like me to make for her as a birthday present because I'm good at making stuff and prefer it to most store bought presents and she answered saying 'a dream catcher'. And she is a reaaaally close friend of mine and I got all excited about doing it for her and gave her the idea that I will and then I realized what a dream catcher really is and did more research on it and began to get worried.

For those of you who don't know what a dream catcher is it's a beautifully crafted Native American handicraft which despite it's overall aesthetic appeal is actually based on some Native American spider god and is supposed to catch evil dreams and good dreams and filter out only the good and it could become a gateway for evil spirits now that I think about it because the Native American tradition is based a lot on spirits and stuff. My problem is that I don't know what to do now! Do I make it for her or not??

Do note that on one hand she's not Christian and not much into any god while on the other hand I might feel guilty if I gave her something related to a pagan god being a Christian myself.
Here's my opinion on it. I used to be into a lot of Cryptozoology stuff and the paranormal. I would eager watch anything Ghost or monster related. But since becoming a born-again Christian, said things make me uncomfortable now. It's probably because I realized there is no mystery behind it and its all just demons and evil spirits. Plain and simple. So in that regard I say you should go with your Christian gut and tell her it makes you uncomfortable and buy her a cd or something. (You don't have to buy a cd just a suggestion lol)

Nov 16, 2016
That's with pre owned objects, I don't think if someone made a dream catcher for funsies it would be harmful.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
As long as neither party believe that it actually does something and that it will be used only for decoration, I feel certain that there will be no repercussions from God. If the other party believes in it, then I would not make it. It is sort of like believing or not that pork is forbidden. If you feel OK with it fine, but don't eat it in front of someone who believes the opposite.
1 Corinthians 8:13 and 10:25