I need advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Learner
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Learner

Guest
Hello, my name is Boris I'm a born again Christian free from sin and death and alive with Christ, the great commission is my moral obligation and I wish to be more effective in it you see I'm a very shy guy and I have poor social skills, I'm only comfortable witnessing to people I know and or anonymously by letter, I do pass out Gospel tracts here and there but I have not let out the Full power of God In me to strangers via preaching or public events, and that is my goal to do just that, my obstacle is fear I believe, I have prayed and anguished over this for such a long time and as I write this I feel anguish and sorrow because of my failure to push into strong bold evangelism, is there any way I can overcome my own bashfulness? Lord please use me
 
Go reread the story of Moses and the burning bush.
In a nutshell God called Moses to return to Egypt and free the Jews and Moses refused and made a million excuses, such as stuttering. God allowed Aaron to be Moses' mouthpiece, but eventually Moses fell into place as a leader.

I've always been pretty shy myself. As a teen i was involved in youth groups a lot, and even in leadership positions as an older teen. From time to time i was expected to speak in front of the group. Even speaking in front of 10 people i knew terrified me.
I also was in a band during these times. I was more comfortable being in front of people that way and managed to speak to 200 people from stage when i was with the band. But solo i could barely talk in front of 10.
Also, as a teen i was involved in a group that did street witnessing in crack town. Mostly i listened, but from time to time i did speak. Usually people were impressed by what i said. But i wasn't always trying to speak. I spoke when i felt i had something specific to say, not just always talking. Perhaps there's a message for you there as well.
Personally i'm a bigger fan of 'sniping' than 'machine gun' conversations. I'd rather deal one on one with someone then send out a ton of words and hope it randomly hits someone.

It's just a combination of making yourself step outside your comfort zone and finding something that makes you more at ease. Or thinking of a different format to communicate.
I'm not trying to convince you that your goal is wrong, it may very well be what God intends, i'm just giving you different ideas and viewpoints to consider. It may be good to pray more for guidance than boldness.

I've also discovered that many people with that zeal envision some grand ministry, but they never end up going down that road. I think it's more of a human mindset to think that to be most effective means we have to be the most heard. But it's not every Christians role to be in the public eye to effect change.
It makes me think of an old Twilight Zone episode. This professor at a boys college, teaching literature and poetry, was being forced into retirement. He felt his life had been wasted and his only joy, teaching, had been taken from him. He was so despondent that he had no great accomplishments or impact on the world, he was ready to kill himself.
Then he walks into his classroom and it's filled with students. These are the souls of past students. One by one they tell him how he inspired them and the great things They accomplished, but wouldn't have without him. So while he never did anything himself, he raised up all sorts of heroes by his teaching and example, so he was regarded as being part of every one.
The point? We all want to be the big preacher in the spotlight, but perhaps your role is to disciple someone else who will be that person.
There are so many ways a person can go inside God's ministry, so make sure to seek the one He wants you to take, not the one that seems most obvious to your flesh.
 
Some are good at crowd evangelism, others are better at one on one evangelism. Still others evangelise by their good example. Don't aim to be someone God did not intend you to be. Just be you. :)

Pray for God to bring people along your path to chat to, you will be
surprised at how that works out. At one time I often got taxis to church. You wouldn't believe how may taxi drivers started asking me what I believed in when they knew I was going to church. Mostly they were Asian drivers. One told me he was a leader in his local mosk and he was asking me to explain the bible to him. In the end he let me prayer for him at the end of the ride!
 
I know your post was almost six months ago, but I would like to offer two suggestions:

1) Read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Permission-Evangelism-When-Talk-Walk/dp/0781439086 It taught me so much! I was able to use it when I went over to the UK for evangelism. I am shy too, but I was able to share the gospel without turning people off.

2) There are churches that have small groups where people get to learn and practice different evangelism techniques together. Or maybe you want to learn on your own, like at Street evangelism in six steps | The Cripplegate