I saluting a soldier with a cup of coffee disrespectful?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jaquan

Having a cup of coffee in hand during an acknowledgement of this, is like dealing with a cashier at a counter being on the phone.It is rude!
That's not a fair comparison.

And by what you are doing, you are telling the other person they have no real meaning to you.
That's such a bad reaction/thought.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
As an "old Soldier," I got no problem with it........a passing instance, not a common practice......now, if you really want to be disrespectful, then don't offer the Soldier a cup as well....... :)

BTW: Another required "hand salute" is ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL regardless of rank, and all members of Congress as well as the President are to salute any Congressional Medal of Honor Holder when they meet/pass them.

Failing to do this is really disrespectful in my opinion.

(don't know any branch of the US Military that allows a left handed salute.........just saying..........)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Oncefallen posted a fine document! But in that document is not defined of what a salute truly means or represents. So please allow me to define the meaning of it, for those who wish to understand.When you put out your hand in civilian life, your intent is to greet,but before this was done,it really meet long ago,that you had nothing in your hand in which to hurt another with! hehe

The salute to most mean simple acknowledgement of a rate or rank,but in reality it goes far beyond this simple movement.It defines ones loyalty to another,to respect another who's love for this Country is as great as yours! It represents a love of the people we serve,to remind them that even if they have never been in the service we salute all who love and are loyal to our nation!

A salute show one has all things we believe in common about our Country! Having a cup of coffee in hand during an acknowledgement of this, is like dealing with a cashier at a counter being on the phone.It is rude! And by what you are doing, you are telling the other person they have no real meaning to you. Is this taking this a bit far? i guess one must care to understand this.

So the next time you see someone saluting, or the next time you wish to honor someone by saluting, you know not only what you are doing, but why you are doing it! hope this helps.
First two paragraphs good stuff.......

Third one? Well, not so much..........just saying.........

Fourth? If you are not an Active Duty Military Member in uniform, then the hand salute is not for your use.......hand over the heart is more proper.

In my opinion, old soldiers running around in jeans and cut off jackets with Military Patches sewn on them saluting each other is far more disrespectful than what this OP is speaking of...........but, then, that's just me......

B

Brighthouse

I of course do not wish to be harsh with our current President,but if you took a pole in the Military on the current conduct of this President towards a Military, he first knows nothing about, since he never served, it is no wonder why morale is down. Bomb here,but do not bomb here,shoot at people on one side,but not on the other side. The only rule in a war is to win it!

And the only reason one is to fight in a war is to take that land for your own people! War is not a police action! Every person who is going to run the Country, should sure of run something in there lifetime other then running for an office he has no idea of how to run. To me no one should even be allowed to run for President unless they have served at least 2 years in it!

How can you be an example of leadership, when you have never lead anything! Any soldier after they have served, can wear anything they wish to,they have earned that right to me bro. hehe The Lord does not care about the appearance of any man, he looks at the heart of every man.( 1 samuel 16:7)

But people do.They judge,or choose to condemn according to there own motives,that is there right to do such,but it is not fair to another is it?

Life is not fair,it never has been,but how one chooses to deal with life determines how valuable they ever can be for another,both in there thoughts as well as in there words they choose to use to others. The comparison, and or bad thought you believe i have made,you have a right to believe if you wish to. I have no problem to that!

The military does not run well at all,when there backs are showing to our enemy! I fully understand that people of tired of war! I hate war myself! I sure should know! I served two tours in Vietnam. I am a warrior! I was made this way by man,and the Lord shaped me now into one for him!( 2 tim 2:1-3)

No solider enjoys suffering,no solider enjoys hardships,but every soldier endures these things, because each see the purpose in battle,and that purpose is to win! Not for themselves, but for those they are on the battlefield to fight for,even if most of those people,do not have the first clue,as to why we are out there in the first place.

The real problem in this case, and why morale is so very low,is that the soldier himself or herself does not know why they are out there right now!! And with no leader, and no support,thoughts of doubt, in themselves and in the others who are over them,can lead to there own death! That is a real problem to me!!

We sure all have a right to believe as we will,and many of you can sure disagree with me!! But please do keep one thing in mind,if you have never been in battle,and you have never endured the results of the hardship going into, or coming out from battle,you might wish to take care in the words you choose to others.

I only speak upon what this warrior has seen,and what this warrior himself has endured,judge me if you wish,it is no surprise to me! I understand,I only wish some of you really understood what it is like being a soldier.( 2 tim 4:1-8) and ( 2 tim 4:16-18!!) This is not a ding on anyone here!! It is a reminder for myself, as well as others to always speak like this!( col 4:6) Blessing all!

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Honestly, too much is being made of this. While I don't like Obama, when you're getting off a plane, all you want to do is relax, you're tired, stressed, etc. Suddenly, a Marine salutes you. You should've expected it, but you react and salute with the latte in your hand. This "faux pas" could've been committed by any president, governor, etc.
Agree.

We all have much bigger problems to worry about.

I've agreed with Thomist twice in one week...
the Apocalypse is surely just over the horizon.